Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2023, 01:46 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times

Advertisements

One idea I hadn't thought about, which I saw mentioned somewhere else, was that this thing is painted white. It should have been painted neon orange or something so that it would be much easier to see out on the open ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 01:51 PM

1,397 posts, read 675,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
One idea I hadn't thought about, which I saw mentioned somewhere else, was that this thing is painted white. It should have been painted neon orange or something so that it would be much easier to see out on the open ocean.
Down where they are (or were), that won't make much difference.

Sonar can "see" better at those depths.

Old 06-20-2023, 01:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
So this might be a really stupid question, but is the missing submersible the only submersible on the planet? Why can't they send another submersible down there to look? I heard the last location was right on top of the Titanic. It's unlikely that they are that far off.
As I understand it, there isn't time to get another submarine there. Add to that, even if they got one down there, there isn't really any way to resurface that one, and you certainly can't move the people from one submarine to another at that depth.

Old 06-20-2023, 01:53 PM

1,397 posts, read 675,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
@ 2:08

"The interest in the Titanic is the reason we go there, because people are willing to fund this kind of exploration in science, and that gives it a completely different research component that almost nowhere else in the deep ocean can you get funding to go back every year, for decades, and see how coral reefs develop and see how metals decay, and see how currents change ... I mean, that just, you can't justify that. No government will pay for that, nobody wants to go back to just some old reef. But people do want to go back to the Titanic. And that's why we go, because people wanna go. "
~ Stockton Rush
"You may get your headlines, Mr. (Rush)".

Old 06-20-2023, 01:57 PM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
So this might be a really stupid question, but is the missing submersible the only submersible on the planet? Why can't they send another submersible down there to look? I heard the last location was right on top of the Titanic. It's unlikely that they are that far off.
I think there are but not many and they are made for specific purposes. I know one can get down to the bottom of the mariana trench. But they need to be carried on ships and that's far away. I'm not a navy person but the only other possibility I think of is maybe if a navy submarine is in the area it could do something. But I don't know how far their depth capacity is.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 06-20-2023, 02:03 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
It’s probably the only such submersible capable of diving that deep in the immediate area.

There’s modeling around to give an estimate of an area where the submersible could be I’m sure based on salinity, expected and predicted underwater current, pressure, etc. But it would still be challenging no doubt. This is what a retired US Navy submarine captain had to say about three matter:

“ Retired Capt. David Marquet told ABC News on Monday that this type of rescue operation is complicated because there aren’t nearby U.S. or Canadian underwater vessels that can go as deep as the Titanic wreckage, which sits 13,400 feet below the ocean’s surface. Also, the ocean is pitch black at that depth.

"The odds are against them," Marquet said. "There's a ship in Boston that has this ability to either lower cable and connect to it or have a claw. It's still a thousand miles away."

Even if a vessel was able to locate the submersible and lower a cable, it’s extremely difficult to safely navigate the waters and attach it, according to Marquet.

"You've got to get it exactly right," he told ABC News. "It's sort of like ... getting one of those toys out of those arcade machines. In general, you miss."

Rescuers do have one advantage, Marquet said, as weather conditions off the coast of Newfoundland are not rough and will not disturb any boat or vessel there.â€

https://www.willmarradio.com/news/na...1adabbba3.html

Old 06-20-2023, 02:21 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
... But they need to be carried on ships and that's far away. I'm not a navy person but the only other possibility I think of is maybe if a navy submarine is in the area it could do something. But I don't know how far their depth capacity is.
Our 'regular' subs do not go that deep.

We have had two Deep Submergence / Rescue Vessels, but they have both been decommissioned
[ DSRV-1 Mystic and DSRV-2 Avalon ].

We do have tethered Submarine Rescue Diving Recompression Systems (SRDRS), but they are limited to only 2,000 feet [and they are designed to mate with the hatches that we have on our subs].

Whenever they get tired or bored, they will release their ballast and rocket back up to the surface, I bet it will be a fun ride.

Old 06-20-2023, 02:26 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,123,161 times
Quote:
It's over two miles down and pitch-black dark. Direct sunlight does not penetrate farther than 495 feet. The shipwreck is 12,500 feet down. I think the big issue is the depth. Not that easy perhaps.

They should have just left that grave site well alone, instead they made it into a tourist attraction for the wealthy.

Old 06-20-2023, 02:27 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
It would be a sudden compression or implosion due to structure failure. I saw an interview with a retired nuclear sub captain. He was asked if he ever lost communication in his sub, the response was don't lose communication in a 2-billion-dollar submarine.

They are all dead it happened in less than a second when they lost the pinging.
Well, probably yes in this case.......but not always.

Consider the differences between the Scorpion and the Thresher. Scorpion is intact in a few pieces on the ocean floor, the Thresher is rather shredded. What's the difference? The Scorpion reached its crush depth full of water, the Thresher didn't. Implosion is rather quick, filling with water on the other hand........

Old 06-20-2023, 02:44 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Even if one available - it takes mothership 2 days to get there - once there nothing they could do unless that submersible is floating and found: to unbolt the exit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events