Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 01:29 AM

13,236 posts, read 7,286,273 times

Advertisements

I think the thing imploded they had 7 ways to surface even without power. They have EPIRB to signal if they were on the surface. I think when the pinging stopped is when it imploded. The weights were supposed to drop off after 24 hours forcing it to surface. This will be a recovery mission hopefully no one else gets killed trying to recover it.

If someone told me they were controlling the sub with a game controller I would not be riding in that thing.

Last edited by kell490; 06-20-2023 at 01:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 04:18 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
I feel bad for the people in the sub but have to question why they would put themselves in that position to begin with. The Titanic, as another post said, is a graveyard. Let it be.

One other comment, would you get on a sub called "Titan" to go visit the "Titanic"?

Last edited by BeerGeek40; 06-20-2023 at 04:29 AM..

Old 06-20-2023, 04:44 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
https://www.yahoo.com/news/titanic-s...Ubsye5jhXu2Z1k

It seems this one had some good information (if the source is a good one, that is! Never too sure about those). Chances of survival don't sound good; somewhere in that article, I believe it says there's a 1% chance of a rescue and the best hope (like the dream scenario) is they're somewhere out there floating above surface. Sounds like if they're still under, they probably won't be found in time. Says they probably have enough oxygen till 8am EST Thursday (it said 12pm GMT, but I translated it into my own time, or at least tried to).

From the article it says there's the pilot, the chief executive of the whole enterprise (it didn't sound like that was a 100% definite, it used words like "it's thought he is on board" or something like that), the billionaire adventurer, and a Pakistani businessman and his 19-year old son.

It looks like I'm the odd one out, but I get it why they would do something that risky. It appears they understood the risks. The titanic fascinates me but I'm sure it's not nearly what it is for me as for these people. The ability to actually see it with your own eyes would be hard to pass up if you have the chance. The only thing for me is that I wouldn't want to do anything like that unless there's like some kind of option for like a quick death of some sort you can utilize if there's definitely no chance of survival at all.

Old 06-20-2023, 05:17 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
I can't even imagine being sealed into it then diving down in the ocean for days in a craft that doesn't have much room to move, that only has so much oxygen for these people.

I hope they find it and if they do not, I hope the people do not suffer.

They should make it safer by tethering it to something so it can be easier located unless the tether breaks somehow.

Old 06-20-2023, 05:25 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I can see "things happening" and the sub having problems, but the fact that it's LOST seems very bizarre to me. But i'm not an expert.

I feel like the whole thing is going to give me nitemares though as i have terrible claustrophobia. The poor people inside are having it a lot worse though, i'm sure.

I'm so curious to hear what happened.
Exactly. They couldn’t PAY ME enough money to be locked in a little tube and taken under water. (Claustrophobic AND can’t swim!)

I find it strange, too, that it’s lost. In the initial report that I heard, the reporter said that if X fails, the vessel should do Y, and if the vessel does A it should do B. With all of the technology, I got the impression that the solutions for failures is very 1990s. I mean they didn’t say anything about giving any sort of signal or having communication with the “Mother Shipâ€.

Prayers all around.

Old 06-20-2023, 05:55 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
So it's okay to go to any number of foreign countries and run around graves for WW I and WW II American service men and go to Bergen Belsen and run around the mass graves of typhus victims, but it's not okay to look at a shipwreck?
Those other things feel more like memorializing. No one should be "running around" graves, the point is to visit and pay tribute. It is a somber experience, hopefully.

Going after the Titanic is more like adventuring, if just because of what it takes to access it. You don't pay 250K to go down there and bow your head.

Old 06-20-2023, 06:03 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I feel bad for the people in the sub but have to question why they would put themselves in that position to begin with. The Titanic, as another post said, is a graveyard. Let it be.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain..."--Batty, Blade Runner, (from imdb)

My life isn't quite like that but I've seen worlds that are quite wonderful. As Janeway said in "Thirty Days", "Because we are explorers.". Sean Connery's lines, as the ghost of Amundsen, at the end of The Red Tent are on the same level.

As far as the graveyard bit, well, everyplace is a graveyard. The Alamo is a graveyard. The Pyramids are a graveyard.....and I have been to both. If we treated everyplace as a grave (and I think we often do declare them as such as a convenient way for the powerful to protect their secrets), then we wouldn't be able to go anyplace.

Finally, a time after the Johnson Sealink tragedy in 1973 or so, I seem to recall a North Sea submersible disaster at a 1000 feet. I think they recovered them, the North Sea ones, with a deep diving claw. I mean, we do it for H-Bombs.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-20-2023 at 06:38 AM..

Old 06-20-2023, 06:57 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,927,273 times
David Concannon, from OceanGate is claiming US Govt is hampering rescue efforts by grounding rescue plane. Identities of the passengers revealed in this link, including a father and teenage son. Hmm.

Who knows if Concannon's claim is true.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b2360568.html

Old 06-20-2023, 07:19 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,927,273 times
This graphic shows a mockup of what it's like inside the sub.

They're not bolted into seats as I pictured - apparently, they can stand around and there's a bathroom onboard.

The pics of it don't look big enough for that somehow.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...submarine.html

Old 06-20-2023, 07:45 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
You are correct, not British.

OceanGate was founded in 2009 by Stockton Rush, who remains the CEO of the company. OceanGate is located in Everett, Washington, United States .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events