Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2023, 09:29 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times

Advertisements

Richard Branson has been one lucky fella. He's been rescued a few times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 09:35 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,104,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
One other comment, would you get on a sub called "Titan" to go visit the "Titanic"?
Someone else with the same line of thinking as mine.

Just too creepy.

Old 06-20-2023, 09:38 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
You are correct, not British.

OceanGate was founded in 2009 by Stockton Rush, who remains the CEO of the company. OceanGate is located in Everett, Washington, United States .
And Stockton Rush is on the missing vessel.

Old 06-20-2023, 09:39 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Someone else with the same line of thinking as mine.

Just too creepy.
I take it we are referring to the preamble in the book "A Night to Remember"? Another example of that from One Step Beyond: Night of April 14th

"The story from the book from 1898 written by Morgan Robertson entitled "Futility: The Wreck of the Titan" eerily predicts the wreck of the RMS Titanic in 1912. Both ships sank in April in the North Atlantic; neither ship had enough lifeboats or other lifesaving equipment; they were of similar sizes (Titan 800 feet long, Titanic 882 feet long); and the ships had very similar tonnage. Experts have analyzed Robertson's story and compared it in detail to the fate of the RMS Titanic and they determined that Robertson was not a clairvoyant, but was merely well versed in ship-building and the maritime trends at the time." (from imdb)

Old 06-20-2023, 09:47 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Many people died because of the over confidence and arrogance of those in charge. Not even enough lifeboats, just in case? Running the ship at full speed to look cool? Bragging about it being unsinkable. Please.

I hope this sub at least had all the possible precautions in place and this didn't happen because of something stupid being overlooked.

Old 06-20-2023, 09:48 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 14 hours ago)

27,162 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Sadly it's a battle against time, but there is still some hope.

The Titanic submarine crew might be alive and rescuable, but there are an awful lot of ifs - The Telegraph

Old 06-20-2023, 09:57 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Not to be a downer, but I doubt it. Even the navy said that a rescue at that depth was not possible. But that's not the real reason there is little to no hope here. The sub lost contact with the mother ship. If it was just suck on something that probably would not have happened. If it lost power or communications it would just surface through many of its alternative means of doing so. The most likely scenario under the circumstances is that the submersible imploded.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 06-20-2023, 10:02 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The most likely scenario under the circumstances is that the submersible imploded.
That's awful to even comprehend. Even scuba diving makes me feel claustrophobic and panicky, so the the thought is terrifying.

Old 06-20-2023, 10:10 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
There is a timeline of events:
4AM - sub is launched
5:45 - contact is lost
11:30 - Final Ping. The sub automatically sends a ping every 15 minutes. So it pinged for about 5 hours.
After that, it was a matter of announcing the loss and soliciting help.

It may never be found. They are looking for a 22 foot object in nearly complete darkness and have to search from close to surface - 12,000 feet away.
Took them long enough to find Titanic, which was huge.

Old 06-20-2023, 10:19 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's awful to even comprehend. Even scuba diving makes me feel claustrophobic and panicky, so the the thought is terrifying.
Curious thing. Scuba diving doesn't make me feel like that, even when I've been bubbled out (under waterfalls) or doing blacked out diving training for PSD. Being in Mooney 201 for hours hasn't bugged me.

Or being on an SSN for "some" reason wasn't that bad and really didn't unnerve me.

But if I had to do cave diving or cave crawling on my belly, that might. I suppose it might be in that tight of space with the realization that the only way to success is in front of me and there is no other way out.

Now, I suppose I would use my various mind over matter techniques to get me through it, like with skydiving that one time, where they opened the door and the fear hit. But the realization that I had paid my money, I wasn't getting it back, and there were only 2 ways out of it got me to crawl on my knees to that open door.

Things are relative, I suppose. Watching "The Enemy Below" with the overhead that close in the control room or "Das Boot" where it is just a tube, that bugs me. But the thought of being shot out a torpedo tube on scuba, not so (not that I have ever done that).

I suppose it gets back to being under those water falls and seeing only bubbles and the panic I first thought and then....."Now, wait, you have plenty of air, work through the problem.".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
.......Took them long enough to find Titanic, which was huge.
Depends on how you look for it. If you are expecting to find it because it is 800 feet long but you are approaching it at right angles to its beam, then that is only a max of 92 feet. While that may be impressive to us, that can be small underwater.

How did Ballard find it? He followed the debris path which can be huge if you know the edges of the cone to follow it to the starting point. How did they find USS Scorpion? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_search_theory which is, figure out the probabilities of where it went down, divide the bottom into search areas, search the most probable and if not found, recalculate the search sectors with what has been searched eliminated.

Now, here's a wild thought......criminal action against someone on board? Be a heck of a way to do it for that is not easy to find (as stated) and if you do find it as a wreck, that is one heck of an impossible crime scene. Just saying....but if other people start disappearing, we-ll.........

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-20-2023 at 10:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events