Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 05:00 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,865,758 times

Advertisements

Thanks for posting that Cloudy. The one I posted popped up in my YT feed first, so I posted it. Sometimes the algorithm....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2023, 08:33 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,641,649 times
Thank goodness the neighbor believed him and called 911 immediately. In today's crazy world, I can see a scenario where another neighbor might have refused to get involved or just let returned the poor child his mother. As someone said earlier, it breaks my heart to know that there are indubitably other. Hildren going through horrible abuse like this who will never be rescued.

Old 09-09-2023, 04:59 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Thanks for posting that Cloudy. The one I posted popped up in my YT feed first, so I posted it. Sometimes the algorithm....
Tell me about it. I was searching YouTube for coverage of her court appearance and coming up empty handed when I found the 911 call video. Other then the 911 call, the rest of the coverage is complete garbage. Just a lot of talking heads, both news media and social media blabbering on and not providing any real coverage.

Old 09-09-2023, 05:43 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,189,162 times
Something isn’t adding up.
Why would the mother accuse one/2 of her children of sexual abuse?

There was a parent of one of the alleged boy’s abuse victim in court, but the judge won’t allow them to speak at this proceeding.
Was the alleged sex abuser boy (and a girl too) the same as a runaway boy?

2 options:
The most likely one that weird Jodi - who seems the ring leader of the domestic child abuse under the pretense of “treatment”. (The testimonies of adults who were mistreated by Jodi prior to her meeting her patient Franke)

The Mormon/Jodi equivalent of exorcism?
The mother as her patient at first was just following her directions in a misguided attempt to “fix” the child/children without involving the authorities?

The second is less likely option - the teenagers created a hoax to get back at their mother/her whatever it is Jodi is? Partner? What does that mean?

I watched a couple of mother’s videos - very patronizing and of self-promoting importance, the “guru” of parenting.

Can’t believe that all those deficient people are now getting their chance of self-aggrandizing “teaching” us on those social media platforms.
And making money to boot?
Are most of us the followers looking for “leaders” and “experts” in all everyday life occurrences?

However, unless the mother ended up under cult-like influence of that Jodi character - the whole affair with the duct tape just doesn’t make sense..

Last edited by L00k4ward; 09-09-2023 at 05:55 AM..

Old 09-09-2023, 12:00 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
Just want to put in a word for all those government workers out there laboring under nearly impossible odds to stem the tide of child abuse.

I've worked up close and personal with many and have observed the risks and dangerous situations they face in their work.
I truly don't know how some of those tender hearts can continue in their jobs when there are so many obstacles in their way.

There is little more dangerous in the social work world than entering into a family system in order to make change and the laws to protect the abusers have grown much stronger. Without the backing of law enforcement it's nearly impossible.

Where I live, a "nice little Midwest city," the caseload is backed up to eternity and in the meantime children continue to suffer.

The emotional toll it takes on workers is devastating.

And it's not unusual for there to be a great deal of reluctance on the part of the decision-makers to initiate consequences.
In the court system the odds are stacked in favor of the parents. It's difficult to get honest witnesses and no one wants to assign consequences to those who are innocent.

What local government wants to advertise that this is the place where children were tortured?

It's horribly complicated by legal, political and social concerns. Everyone becomes concerned with protecting their jobs. News is suppressed. Witch hunts happen.

In a case in which I had peripheral involvement I once considered leaving my desk and driving to the home of two toddlers to kidnap them. It was so obvious that no one was going to take action in their favor. Forty years later I think of them often.

We talk a good game about mental health but that's rarely where the money goes once the votes are in.

Old 09-09-2023, 09:12 PM

7,089 posts, read 4,521,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Just want to put in a word for all those government workers out there laboring under nearly impossible odds to stem the tide of child abuse.

I've worked up close and personal with many and have observed the risks and dangerous situations they face in their work.
I truly don't know how some of those tender hearts can continue in their jobs when there are so many obstacles in their way.

There is little more dangerous in the social work world than entering into a family system in order to make change and the laws to protect the abusers have grown much stronger. Without the backing of law enforcement it's nearly impossible.

Where I live, a "nice little Midwest city," the caseload is backed up to eternity and in the meantime children continue to suffer.

And it's not unusual for there to be a great deal of reluctance on the part of the decision-makers to initiate consequences.
In the court system the odds are stacked in favor of the parents. It's difficult to get honest witnesses and no one wants to assign consequences to those who are innocent.

What local government wants to advertise that this is the place where children were tortured?

It's horribly complicated by legal, political and social concerns. Everyone becomes concerned with protecting their jobs. News is suppressed. Witch hunts happen.

In a case in which I had peripheral involvement I once considered leaving my desk and driving to the home of two toddlers to kidnap them. It was so obvious that no one was going to take action in their favor. Forty years later I think of them often.

We talk a good game about mental health but that's rarely where the money goes once the votes are in.
Thank you so much for telling the truth. The job takes a tremendous toll on everyone and it haunts you forever.

Old 09-09-2023, 09:50 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

Social workers blame the court system. However, those in the court system often have to deal with social workers who don't do a very good job investigating or producing evidence of abuse or neglect. A mere opinion that parents are abusing or neglecting children is not enough. What is needed is hard evidence. The police seem to be able to gather that in serious cases. Why do social workers have so much trouble doing so in cases of abuse?

Than there is the "social worker mentality". I'm probably a little cynical here, but I have seen it. The "social worker mentality" assumes everyone can be helped and that with enough resources every family unit will be just fine. It often does not adequately take into account mental illness, drug abuse, alcohol addiction, people who do not want to work, and things like women who repeatedly return to or seem to seek out physically or sexually abusive spouses.

I know there are good people who for DCFS or CPS. However, I do not regard these agencies as effective as the local police department is.

In my state, DCFS at one point was doing such a poor job running the foster care system that the courts stepped in and decided to run it for them for a couple of years.

Franke and Hildebrandt have not been adjudicated guilty yet. What we do know are there were endless complaints made against Franke's parenting style. I would like to see exactly what complaints were made and what response was made to each complaint. Only than will I believe there has been accountability in this case.

Old 09-10-2023, 09:55 AM

7,089 posts, read 4,521,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Social workers blame the court system. However, those in the court system often have to deal with social workers who don't do a very good job investigating or producing evidence of abuse or neglect. A mere opinion that parents are abusing or neglecting children is not enough. What is needed is hard evidence. The police seem to be able to gather that in serious cases. Why do social workers have so much trouble doing so in cases of abuse?

Than there is the "social worker mentality". I'm probably a little cynical here, but I have seen it. The "social worker mentality" assumes everyone can be helped and that with enough resources every family unit will be just fine. It often does not adequately take into account mental illness, drug abuse, alcohol addiction, people who do not want to work, and things like women who repeatedly return to or seem to seek out physically or sexually abusive spouses.

I know there are good people who for DCFS or CPS. However, I do not regard these agencies as effective as the local police department is.

In my state, DCFS at one point was doing such a poor job running the foster care system that the courts stepped in and decided to run it for them for a couple of years.

Franke and Hildebrandt have not been adjudicated guilty yet. What we do know are there were endless complaints made against Franke's parenting style. I would like to see exactly what complaints were made and what response was made to each complaint. Only than will I believe there has been accountability in this case.
Often the caseloads are too big so it’s impossible to do a good job. In the 1980’s caseloads in Illinois were so high that thousands of kids were in foster homes but no one had kept track of which ones. When it became apparent that the kids were lost in the system the feds stepped in to make caseloads smaller, fire people and clean up the mess. What other low paying jobs send women into dangerous situations alone where they are in danger of being raped or killed?

Years ago a male social worker in Milwaukee hung himself because he was trapped in child protection and it paid well. Everyone started in that job and unless someone retired there’s no movement. Most other social work jobs don’t pay well enough so people in essence get trapped. The story was in the newspaper with a possible solution offered as rotating everyone in and out of these positions so that the burden was shared. I doubt that happened as the workers had a union.

Old 09-10-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Did you not listen to the 911 call, at the very least?? There is ample evidence through the years of extreme trauma for all of this children including the ones now adult. Does that not constitute child abuse in your mind?? Do you think that NO BAIL means nothing?

Old 09-10-2023, 10:03 AM

I once knew someone who worked for CPS in Riverside, California back in the 90's. They told me that the general length of employment lasts about 2 years, and often less. They were threatened, assaulted, had to walk away many times from children who desperately needed help. They quit after 2 years. Their physical and mental health was severely affected.

I will say that in Demon Copperhead, Barbara Kingsolver showed through 2 different characters how different CPS workers behave. One was cynical and not helpful, the other was very compassionate and helpful - beyond what was called for. In that case, the worker was able to help because the child was occasionally homeless and wasn't in danger of foster parents. Many times a CPS worker cannot help because they are prevented from doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events