Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 11:50 AM

11,424 posts, read 5,967,061 times

Advertisements

Tragic and sad. Prayers up for a little girl and her family going through hell. One of the sad realities of life is that little children lack adult awareness of danger and sometimes die doing things for fun that turn out to be dangerous, from climbing trees and rocks to running into the street for a ball.

Sad. Here is hoping this acts as a parental reminder and winds up saving children from a variety of things. Kids sometimes die doing fun things. It is a sad fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2024, 12:26 PM

17,147 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There’s no indication at all that the parents are planning to sue anyone. Are we just going to attack them for 10 pages based on assumptions and speculation?
Who was attacking the parents? My posts were in direct response to the asinine assumption in the OP that they would "sue the beach."

Old 02-23-2024, 12:40 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times
Parents let these 7 &8 year old children, go into a 6 ft hole in the sand....what could go wrong. Same as leaving a loaded gun on the table.

Old 02-23-2024, 12:44 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Sadly, this has happened periodically ever since sand and kids first met. I grew up spending 2 weeks of every summer vacation at the beach. Of course, we dug holes...just about every kid visiting a beach does. Our parents warned us about digging holes deeper than we could easily climb out of, and to fill large holes in again so no one else would fall into them later. It was common beach SOP/etiquette.

There were no lifeguards at the beaches we visited, no organized emergency response like many beaches have today. In a way, that was probably a good thing. Because there weren't, our parents either actively watched us while we were out on the beach or stayed within a few seconds' call for help away. They knew if anything happened any rescue would be up to them. No one counted on calling anyone.

Old 02-23-2024, 01:01 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Who was attacking the parents? My posts were in direct response to the asinine assumption in the OP that they would "sue the beach."
There was a string of posts insinuating the parents wanted to sue, with zero evidence of that. And then a bunch of posts mocking the idea of parents wanting to sue, when again, there is zero evidence that they plan to sue anyone.

Old 02-23-2024, 01:33 PM

17,147 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There was a string of posts insinuating the parents wanted to sue, with zero evidence of that. And then a bunch of posts mocking the idea of parents wanting to sue, when again, there is zero evidence that they plan to sue anyone.
Mocking the OP's assumption that the parents would sue -- not mocking the parents, nor assuming they would sue. Only the OP made that broad ridiculous assumption. There is no one to sue here.

Old 02-23-2024, 02:11 PM

11,424 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Mocking the OP's assumption that the parents would sue -- not mocking the parents, nor assuming they would sue. Only the OP made that broad ridiculous assumption. There is no one to sue here.
The sad thing is, this wouldn't even rate a mention among the 500 most ridiculous lawsuits.

And all it takes is a sympathetic jury that nullifies actual law and awards money just because it tugged their heart strings.

Old 02-23-2024, 02:51 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,696,046 times
I take a spade or entrenching tool to the beach and dig ~3' holes about 6-8 feet in diameter. It's good exercise and fun for the kids to play in. Once you get down 3', though, you get the sense that "hey, I'd better not go any deeper."

I can see kids not knowing any better, but it's crazy there are adults digging narrow holes deeper than their chests!

I'm pretty sure those kids had help from a parent. It gets really strenuous to lift the sand out once you get down below your waist. I doubt a 7 and a 10-year-old could dig a hole to graveyard depth alone.

Old 02-23-2024, 02:58 PM

5,969 posts, read 3,711,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I take a spade or entrenching tool to the beach and dig ~3' holes about 6-8 feet in diameter. It's good exercise and fun for the kids to play in. Once you get down 3', though, you get the sense that "hey, I'd better not go any deeper."

I can see kids not knowing any better, but it's crazy there are adults digging narrow holes deeper than their chests!

I'm pretty sure those kids had help from a parent. It gets really strenuous to lift the sand out once you get down below your waist. I doubt a 7 and a 10-year-old could dig a hole to graveyard depth alone.
They may be digging their own graves and not realize it.

Old 02-23-2024, 04:06 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
The sad thing is, this wouldn't even rate a mention among the 500 most ridiculous lawsuits.

And all it takes is a sympathetic jury that nullifies actual law and awards money just because it tugged their heart strings.
Really bad cases don't get to a jury. They are disposed of generally through the means of a summary judgment or directed verdict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events