Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 07:44 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Tell us you've never been to New Jersey without saying you've never been to New Jersey...
I've never been to New Jersey! Even though my oldest brother has lived there for 56 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2024, 08:00 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I've never been to New Jersey! Even though my oldest brother has lived there for 56 years.
I've been to New Jersey (Altantic City beach and boardwalk). No charge!

Old 02-24-2024, 08:25 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
In South Jersey, all the beaches except Atlantic City and Wildwood require beach tags.
North/Central Jersey, too. Seasonal, from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
See ocnjgirl's post. The other 42 beach towns charge.

Plus, there's this from this article (Jersey beaches ranked from worst to best--Wildwood is worst at 44, AC No. 30.

https://www.nj.com/entertainment/201...ause_some.html

30. Atlantic City

Quote:
Going to Atlantic City for the beach is kind of like going to Peter Luger's for the fish. Yeah, you can do it, but you're missing the point. Then again, if you're going down to A.C. to gamble and you want to catch some rays after you run out of cash, by all means. Either way, you know what you're getting when you go to Atlantic City. A lot of fun, but not a nice beach. Put $20 on black for us while you're there, though.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-25-2024 at 03:36 PM..

Old 02-25-2024, 11:22 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
As ocnjgirl pointed out above, only AC and Wildwood don't charge out of the 44 beach towns. The fees provide for safety, as in lifeguards and cops, and also some code enforcement. It's probably that way because the beaches get so crowded between Jersey's own dense population and the fact that so many people come from New England and Canada and Pennsylvania, etc., to our beaches. It costs money to clean up and make sure people don't do stupid things.

Old 02-25-2024, 11:37 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
The family was vacationing in Florida when this happened. They may not have been aware of what dangers can happen on beaches. I don’t think there are actual beaches in Indiana unless they’re on lakes. And those are probably a different texture.

Lots of sand and lots of sand dunes in Indiana.

Lake Michigan's might has influenced Indiana Dunes for millennia. Wind and waves have shaped the land, leaving a rich mosaic of habitats along these 15 miles of Indiana coast. Over 50 miles of trails lead through shifting sand dunes, quiet woodlands, sunny prairies and lush wetlands. Known for its striking plant and bird diversity, it's easy to find inspiration throughout the park’s 15,000 acres.

https://www.nps.gov/indu/index.htm

Old 02-25-2024, 12:11 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I have never heard of paying a fee to go to the beach. To park, yes, especially if you are a nonlocal and don't know where the free parking is, but not to actually set foot on a beach.
Hanauma bay (Oahu) has a $3 parking fee (it fills up really quickly) and there is a $25 per person fee (there is a video that touches on the coral and protection of the bay). The fee is to help with the conservation of the bay.

I don't remember the fee for kids, but I think 11 and under are free. Locals and military personnel (stationed in Hawaii and their family members) are free of charge.

Things that we did as kids (standing on the reef and feeding the fish) have harmed the reef. Parking was always full even before the fee was added, so we would just walk from home.

Old 02-25-2024, 02:18 PM

986 posts, read 1,016,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Are you going to sue anyone ? Maybe the 200 lb guy for not being more steady on his feet ?
just askin'. Do you have a GoFundMe ?
LOL awesome. The 200 pound guy wouldn't dream of suing the hotel or municipality where the beach is located - it was no one's fault and was just clumsiness and bad luck plain and simple. This happened overseas and we have been dealing with/fighting with our insurance company to cover some or most of our out of pocket expenses, which were in the thousands of dollars. But ultimately it's my responsibility and I'm not suing anyone or begging for money on GoFundMe.

Old 02-25-2024, 03:32 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Lots of sand and lots of sand dunes in Indiana.

Lake Michigan's might has influenced Indiana Dunes for millennia. Wind and waves have shaped the land, leaving a rich mosaic of habitats along these 15 miles of Indiana coast. Over 50 miles of trails lead through shifting sand dunes, quiet woodlands, sunny prairies and lush wetlands. Known for its striking plant and bird diversity, it's easy to find inspiration throughout the park’s 15,000 acres.

https://www.nps.gov/indu/index.htm

I said "unless they're on lakes", in my post. It may be a different texture than beach on a coast, maybe it's wetter and held together to dig holes better there.

Old 02-25-2024, 04:52 PM

2,637 posts, read 1,173,205 times
Quote:
The family was vacationing in Florida when this happened. They may not have been aware of what dangers can happen on beaches. I don’t think there are actual beaches in Indiana unless they’re on lakes. And those are probably a different texture.
Whoops you are right. The article only said the family was from Indiana not in Indiana.

Old 02-26-2024, 07:00 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,963,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
As ocnjgirl pointed out above, only AC and Wildwood don't charge out of the 44 beach towns. The fees provide for safety, as in lifeguards and cops, and also some code enforcement. It's probably that way because the beaches get so crowded between Jersey's own dense population and the fact that so many people come from New England and Canada and Pennsylvania, etc., to our beaches. It costs money to clean up and make sure people don't do stupid things.
I grew up in NJ and met my husband “down the shore.” It was so crowded the beach towels were practically touching each other and getting from your towel or blanket to the water was a delicate dance to avoid getting sand on a sunbather (hey it was Jersey - you didn’t want any trouble ; ) This was in the eighties and we would pay for our beach pass and get some kind of bracelet to wear for the day. A beach pass was pretty expensive for us college aged kids but there were always lifeguards and the beaches were well cared for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events