Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 04:12 PM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,051 times

Advertisements

Absolutely heartbreaking .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2024, 05:16 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

.... nowhere does it mention what the parents were doing at the time. That was a HUGE hole the kids were digging, don't think it's fair to put all the blame on there not being lifeguards.

The GoFundMe for this family is now at over $100K (asking for $150K). I would not be surprised if the family also sues the beach/property owner/city.
I would be surprised if they do try to sue once they have consulted a lawyer. Those parents, whatever they were doing at the time, are just as liable as anyone else for neglecting their children and allowing them to dig such a big hole in sand.

Old 02-23-2024, 06:49 PM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Sue the beach? What's next, sue God?
You could sue gravity. It seemed to play a part. The parents were negligent. That is my take. You have to watch your kids especially if they are that young.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:57 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,315,927 times
So there had to come a point where the kids could no longer be seen while playing? Not a good look for the parents. They'll never forgive themselves.
Just awful.

Old 02-24-2024, 12:12 AM

2,342 posts, read 1,736,593 times
Really. And, just awful.

The article has this:

“Ocean rescue experts say Sloan’s death might have been prevented if the beach was staffed with lifeguards. In other nearby coastal towns, lifeguards are instructed to tell beachgoers about the risks of digging in the sand, and to stop people from digging any deeper than either knee- to waist-height, or about 2 feet. The hole the two were digging on Tuesday was between 5 and 6 feet deep, officials say.â€

If I were writing the article I’d have made a simple change (bolded):

“Ocean rescue experts say Sloan’s death might have been prevented if her parents were properly supervising their minor children. In other nearby coastal towns, lifeguards are instructed to tell beachgoers about the risks of digging in the sand, and to stop people from digging any deeper than either knee- to waist-height, or about 2 feet. The hole the two were digging on Tuesday was between 5 and 6 feet deep, officials say

What’s with the nanny state? Who’s going to pay for those lifeguards, and how many lifeguards would be needed?

How about this: parents, supervise your children!

What a concept.

Old 02-24-2024, 07:10 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
It was the parents' choice to visit a beach not staffed with lifeguards. Signs warning "at your own risk" would've been posted. Curious if they were busy scrolling on their phones or even egging them on to videotape it for "likes" or to go viral (I agree two small children couldn't have dug a hole that deep without much help from adults; either it was already there or the parents contributed to the digging). Absolutely one of my pet peeves at the beach, as not only kids, but small creatures get trapped in them. You can also break a leg walking at night. If you MUST dig, fill it in!

Old 02-24-2024, 09:37 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,232,662 times
The proper phase is "Sue the taxpayers"

Beautiful child. Such a terrible tragedy.

Old 02-24-2024, 10:36 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
The family was from Indiana. Perhaps the parents didn't fully grasp the danger of a very deep sand hole at the beach either. They may not have been watching every second, but when you believe your kids are happily occupied with some harmless play, it's easy to get distracted for a few minutes.

A few years ago at Newport Beach, near me, there was an incident. This beach is well patrolled by lifeguards but it is also extremely busy in the summer. A parent rushed up to one of the lifeguard stands saying she couldn't find her toddler. A nearby beachgoer overheard and recalled having seen a child like the one she was describing near a large hole in the sand. That person jumped into the hole, fished around under the sand and pulled out the completely buried child, fortunately while he was still alive. A few more minutes and it would have been another tragedy.

There are now rules about how deep holes can be dug at that beach. There are signs posted, and the last time I was there, some kids were starting to dig a deeper hole and the lifeguard came and told them to stop and fill it back in. He made sure they did it, too. But on a very busy day at Newport Beach, I can't blame the lifeguards for not seeing some kids digging among all the thousands of people, and they also have to focus the larger part of their attention on the water. I give lifeguards a huge amount of credit. I've seen many rescues and they can't rest for a second, have to be constantly on the watch.

As a native Southern Californian, I have hardly ever been so surprised and unnerved as when we took our kids (the youngest was about 10) to Maui and found no lifeguards anywhere.

Old 02-24-2024, 11:33 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Absolutely horrible, for the victim, her surviving brother, and all who had to witness, and especially those who tried to revive the girl.

Article mentions that ocean rescue experts say this could have been prevented if there were lifeguards present, but nowhere does it mention what the parents were doing at the time. That was a HUGE hole the kids were digging, don't think it's fair to put all the blame on there not being lifeguards.

The GoFundMe for this family is now at over $100K (asking for $150K). I would not be surprised if the family also sues the beach/property owner/city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bCVoCgFGjQ

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/2024/02...y-experts-say/
This just happened a year or two ago on a beach in NJ except the kids were teenagers. The brother died and his sister got out. They dug a ten-foot-deep hole in the sand, and it collapsed on them.

I don't think you can blame this on lifeguards not being there. This is on the parents. I would not want to be in their shoes right now with what they must feel.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-24-2024 at 11:49 AM..

Old 02-24-2024, 11:36 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
They may be digging their own graves and not realize it.

Do adults really need to be told that sand is unstable? I don't care if you didn't grow up near a beach. It seems as if that's something should have been picked up somewhere along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events