Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 09:48 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,570,677 times

Advertisements

No trees in Dallas?!
Seriously?

Then why am I shelling out hundreds of bucks to have these massive overgrown things trimmed back all the time? My imagination?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 10:11 AM

687 posts, read 1,582,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No trees in Dallas?!
Seriously?

Then why am I shelling out hundreds of bucks to have these massive overgrown things trimmed back all the time? My imagination?!
I think the OP is referring to how lush and forested Houston as a whole is compared to Dallas as a whole. Dallas definitely has heavily forested areas, especially in older neighborhoods and areas neer creekbeds, but the DFW region as a whole has far less lush vegitation that the Houston area.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:59 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,310,094 times
I refuse to admit East Texas has hills like Hill Country; I just don't see it.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:06 PM

322 posts, read 750,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Really? Only a hundred feet? Here is the route profile of the Beauty and the Beast that starts in Tyler.
That graph pretty much proves my point. It looks like there may be 150ft hill in there at the end but thats about it. The rest of it looks to be rolling land. Just check out the distance of that route! 65 miles and thats all the elevation change?

Compare that extremely long 65 mile, slight grade route to this graph of a 16 mile route in Austin. How is this even debatable?
Attached Thumbnails
Why Aren't There More Tree/Green in Dallas Compare to Houston????-elevation_graph_west-austin.jpg  

Old 08-06-2010, 05:03 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,310,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlx View Post
That graph pretty much proves my point. It looks like there may be 150ft hill in there at the end but thats about it. The rest of it looks to be rolling land. Just check out the distance of that route! 65 miles and thats all the elevation change?

Compare that extremely long 65 mile, slight grade route to this graph of a 16 mile route in Austin. How is this even debatable?
If you haven't noticed; the only ones opposing it are people from East Texas lol

Old 08-06-2010, 05:07 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,861,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlx View Post

Nothing slight about the grade up the Beast (it gets up to 14%), oh and I am not the one you are debating, I have ridden both areas. I have mapped both areas, as a matter of fact, Austin, specifically around Lake Travis, was my southernmost type-locality for my Geology Thesis on the Austin Chalk. But you were short-changing the Beast as only... oh wait, now it is a 150 feet, how generous. YOu had written
Quote:
I have yet to see anything in east Texas that has substantial hills of more than 100ft.
Now you have. The Beast is a climb, from bottom to top, ~375 to ~675. It is terraced, but ~300 feet, none the less, not the 100 feet you suggested before. Just keeping you honest. ;-) The ride organizers make sure every route includes the Beast but are kind enough to make sure the longer route won't kill everyone, so they put in a lot of rollers instead of having us traverse the escarpment the entire time. However the range of elevation was only 310 to 686 over the entire course.
Attached Thumbnails
Why Aren't There More Tree/Green in Dallas Compare to Houston????-beast.jpg  

Last edited by PanTerra; 08-06-2010 at 05:16 PM..

Old 08-06-2010, 09:05 PM

101 posts, read 290,093 times
Default Oh well it"s my opinion

That's my honest opinion. You can't be mad at someone becuase of what they feel about the city. I have a right to my opinion and so do you. It's probably people like you who make people feel the way they do about Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010 View Post
Don't let the door slam you on your way out.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
You know, we get that a lot. LOL. I have a buddy that moved down from Detroit years ago because of taking a Job in his field with TI. They keep bemoaning Dallas, but they get a great job here and stay. They eventually quit their whining and realize how good it is here. He went on about how Michigan was soooo much nicer than Texas, blah blah blah. He is still here. Not much going on in Detroit I hear. Oh yeah, incredible sights around Texas City and Dear Park, etc.
LOL I won't go that far and tell you Cleveland, OH is better than Dallas, Texas. Not in a long shot. But I will just say I miss Houston and hope to return soon. Dallas is good for now and I am grateful for the opportunity, but nothing in my opinion beats Houston. Even driving on the freeway to go to Katy you see so many office buildings lining the freeway and it looks nice. It's also lit up more than Dallas is. It just has a better feel and look. It's not dirty on the freeway like people in Dallas say. I also got three job interviews the week I accepted a job in Dallas. I should have stuck with Houstoon. (I have to stop talking about Houston now because I'm getting said and want to go back for Good. I miss Houston.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Given that you already have decided you will hate Dallas, I expect your experience here to be awful.

People get what they expect. I came to Dallas opting to give it a chance even though its no where near as pretty as Southern California. I came here with an open mind. And I love it. I would advise you to do the same lest you be subjected to misery of your own choosing.
Wow that's funny, I didn't read in my comment that I hated Dallas. Maybe I missed that part. "Dallas is OK" is what I said. I am going to have to live with it for now at least until a job opens up in Houston, (since i missed the last three jobs)so that is that. It just Houston is more desirable, thats all.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:45 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,833,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylaY12345 View Post
Wow that's funny, I didn't read in my comment that I hated Dallas. Maybe I missed that part. "Dallas is OK" is what I said. I am going to have to live with it for now at least until a job opens up in Houston, (since i missed the last three jobs)so that is that. It just Houston is more desirable, thats all.
Bottom line, dont expect any enjoyment out of Dallas. You have already chosen what you think of Dallas. You dont seem to have an open mind about it here.

When we moved here, we could have spent the time moping that we had to leave our hometown because I lost my job. We could have griped and moaned about not having any mountains or beaches. We could have complained about the summer heat and the winter cold.

But that isnt us. We can here with no expectations and we have become very happy here. It didnt happen overnight. We had to give Dallas and the people of Dallas a chance.

I suggest you do the same lest you be subjected to misery. You complain too much to already be doing that, so you should switch your attitude. Then when an opprotunity comes to go to Houston, at least you know you gave it your best shot in Dallas and you can walk away feeling good about your time here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas