Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:36 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,964,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
What is the major difference between city lighting 40 years ago and today? White glaring light was once used to light up the city versus a more pleasing yellow lighting today. In Dallas, they perch that type of lighting some 120 feet up in the air mainly around freeway interchanges. In Houston, they will perch it that high not just along the interchanges but along the whole lengths of most stretches of freeway. The Houston metropolitan area can better afford to do this because, though they are wider, it has less numbers of freeways than Dallas - Fort Worth.
Try visiting Monterrey Mexico. Similarly, I think you will find it more visually appealing than the city of Houston. There is a spontaniety to Houston because it has no zoning.
Try this sometime. The next time a tropical storm stalls out over Houston to dump massive amounts of rain on the area, find a good place along the San Jacinto River to park so you can watch half a million dollar houses go floating by.
Nah, DFW has like three more freeways than Houston, if that. There really is no difference in the amount of freeways, but there is a big difference in the look of the freeways. Most of DFW's freeways are not in good shape and out of date, while most of Houston's look more modern and have better designs. I think TxDOT favors the Houston region more than the Dallas or Fort Worth regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 04:43 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,009,063 times
Dallas' HOV lane management is a joke. Lets put up some plastic pylons & movable concrete blocks & call it an HOV lane. Houston's freeways are a lot more modern & sophisticated in design. They even have stop lights at the on ramps which Dallas doesn't have.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:23 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,234,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
There's no other truth to admit other than the Hill Country is hilly...and East Texas is hilly as well...you seem to act as if the two are mutually exclusive...I mean, what else do you want to hear?..."The hill country is leaps and bounds more mountainous than any other area of Texas"?.....Its not to me...The first set of images could easily be somewhere in east Texas. The Hill Country is plenty hilly, per its moniker, but my point is that East Texas has hills as well...To be honest, Im not even the right one to debate this topic as I dislike hills altogether, and find them to be grossly overrated...even in regions with true elevation.
No argument here, although I think his point was that, being in Houston, he didnt want to have to drive a 24 hour round trip across the state to find a mountain....If he was going to do that then he might as well have just driven back home to Georgia...which he eventually did. He always reminded us that, in a place like Atlanta, he was never more than a couple of hours away from the mountains.
Well it's like me going to Atlanta and complaining about the lack of beaches. You need to be slapped if you come to Houston expecting mountains; he needs to learn to do research before he goes anywhere.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:50 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,978,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well it's like me going to Atlanta and complaining about the lack of beaches. You need to be slapped if you come to Houston expecting mountains; he needs to learn to do research before he goes anywhere.
I dont believe it was that serious to him, for anyone to be slapping and punching people because of the misinformation he received. He just made it a point, to let everyone know about Texas' lack of hills. And then quit, packed his stuff, and left. I dont think he was expecting mountains in Houston, but he did think that it either had some sort of hills or that it was within a reasonable drive of some sort of hilly region. This is where people lied to him.

Plus, when it comes down to it, he didnt have much of a choice in the matter - his company merged with ours, and his options were to either relocate to Houston or lose his job. From what he explained, his research was misleading...he was thinking that the Hill Country was comparable to the areas he had rode through in Georgia/the Carolinas. According to him, Texans simply overhyped the Hill Country in the travel information.

Actually, I recall that he said his ride through the hill Country was rather nice...but it was just overrated according to him. But that was the only semi positive review he gave any of the areas of Texas that he had been to.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:55 PM

885 posts, read 1,554,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
~

I live in an older subdivision in Dallas that has tons of huge trees.

Trees can be dangerous and are expensive to properly maintain.

Next time I move I will be looking for a house with no trees.

~

Lazy!

Just make sure those trees are away from the house, so no damages are done to the roof when a storm hits.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:10 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,897,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas' HOV lane management is a joke. Lets put up some plastic pylons & movable concrete blocks & call it an HOV lane. Houston's freeways are a lot more modern & sophisticated in design. They even have stop lights at the on ramps which Dallas doesn't have.
Dallas has had the stoplights at entrance ramps to the highway. Central Expwy had them a LONG time ago. When it was expanded and redesigned they got rid of them as they were no longer needed.

And what highways in Houston have them anyway? When I've been there and that is often I have not experienced any to get ON the highways at all. I also do not see the Houston freeways more "modern & sophisticated" at all. They are pretty similiar to Dallas freeways and many other cities across the country. Except often times in Houston one gets to sit and enjoy the view while on the highways, lol.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:56 AM

Are you kidding me? Dallas freeways are no where near as modern as Houston's. It's a fact that the Houston area receives more money and is favored by TxDOT. The only modern freeway in DFW are the North Central, parts of 635, I-20, and the new parts of I-30. That's really all I can think of. The designs in Houston are much more modern. Having lived in both areas, there is a difference. Also, traffic in Dallas is almost as bad as Houston, too.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:50 AM

912 posts, read 1,888,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston is quite innovative. It once painted its fire trucks yellow because the human eye can see that color better than it can the color red. The rows of fastened barrels to protect vehicles from slamming into freeway edifices was also invented in Houston, more specifically at the west loop south where it crosses over 59.
But Dallas tricked Houston. Back in the olden days, Dallas - Fort Worth was just acting like it was going to build far more freeways than Houston, but then, at the last second, it turned around and started building commuter and lightrail trains. Poor Houston just kept right on building those freeways unto oblivion.
TOD means "transit oriented development" in Dallas while "transit oriented development" in Houston refers to someone who has lost their job and now has to live under one of the many freeway overpasses of that city.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 08-09-2010 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: tweak

Old 08-09-2010, 11:57 AM

912 posts, read 1,888,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Are you kidding me? Dallas freeways are no where near as modern as Houston's. It's a fact that the Houston area receives more money and is favored by TxDOT. The only modern freeway in DFW are the North Central, parts of 635, I-20, and the new parts of I-30. That's really all I can think of. The designs in Houston are much more modern. Having lived in both areas, there is a difference. Also, traffic in Dallas is almost as bad as Houston, too.
True Scarface. As there are fewer and wider freeways in Houston, there are more numerous and thinner freeways in Dallas - Fort Worth. This is because the Dallas - Fort Worth is more of a crossroads than Houston. If I'm not mistaken, then, as best I can remember, the roads and freeways in Houston are a terrible mess. The state had to transfer a billion dollars recently to address this problem.
Am I correct?
But, you know, I think this is a state problem. Paradoxically, as the state is calling for more money to build more freeways, the ones they have completed are falling apart. But, as always, such corruption is a sign of progress!

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 08-09-2010 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: tweak

Old 08-09-2010, 12:41 PM

Are you serious? DFW tricked Houston? That's where I stopped reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas