Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:06 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: orphaned quote ]

Regardless, my point stands.

You cant judge a city's identity or views by one poster on a website.

Now, is there anyway we can get back to Dallas' culture and identity?

Allow me to quote my earlier post to get things back on the right track:

"I feel like Dallas would like to know where it stands. All the major southern cities have a distinct and more accurate identity than Dallas. Atlanta is the black culture center and rap music capital, Houston is the oil and energy center with a diverse and international feel, Miami is the Latin American center with fun, sun, and beaches. What is Dallas?

To answer that question myself, I have always believed Dallas and DFW is/are (as I put it earlier) the "jack of all trades" city/area. Dallas and DFW are easily more well rounded than the cities mentioned above, but they dont stand out in one area like the cities mentioned above.

But because DFW is so well rounded, Dallas, Fort Worth, and everything inbetween offers something for everyone. Thats whats nice about this area.

But as a set identity, its hard to get attention for being a well rounded city/metro area, so people default to what the stereotypes were 20 years ago. Big hair, the Dallas Cowboys, actual cowboys, overbearing sports team owners, president killers, and the images the Dallas TV show brings up. Those things (minus the overbearing sports team owners and the Cowboys, cause we do have that) are not Dallas in the modern day nor are they our identity.

Does Dallas need an identity? Im not even sure it does, but it doesnt need the old stereotypes either."

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-10-2010 at 11:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 AM

81 posts, read 229,867 times
The only thing i have seen here is people talking food and sports....and if i hear one more person pride themselves about TX being the "US" I will choke them.
That being said....Houston was a major letdown for me, I dont think I will go back there again...it reminded me of being in south philadelphia but just over a 20 mile drive..

Old 08-10-2010, 10:46 AM

687 posts, read 1,578,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
"I feel like Dallas would like to know where it stands. All the major southern cities have a distinct and more accurate identity than Dallas.
I think that you've identified the primary issue with Dallas identity right there. You're comparing Dallas to other "southern cities." Dallas is in a unique geographic position, which causes a major identity issue. We're located right where the south, the west, and what I consider the plains cultures come together. It's really not fair to compare Dallas to other southern cities, since Dallas is not entirely southern to begin with. While most everyone in the country has a similar vision when they think of places like Los Angeles, Miami, Seattle, or Boston, I don't think the same can be said for Dallas. In my own travels, people who haven't been here seem to have really varied ideas of what Dallas is like. While some seem to think it's flat, open, and windy like Kansas or Nebraska, most people I have met who haven't been here seem to think we live in the middle of a desert. Others I've met seem to think we're somewhere near the Mexican border. I think this will always give Dallas a bit of an identity crisis.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
I think that you've identified the primary issue with Dallas identity right there. You're comparing Dallas to other "southern cities." Dallas is in a unique geographic position, which causes a major identity issue. We're located right where the south, the west, and what I consider the plains cultures come together. It's really not fair to compare Dallas to other southern cities, since Dallas is not entirely southern to begin with. While most everyone in the country has a similar vision when they think of places like Los Angeles, Miami, Seattle, or Boston, I don't think the same can be said for Dallas. In my own travels, people who haven't been here seem to have really varied ideas of what Dallas is like. While some seem to think it's flat, open, and windy like Kansas or Nebraska, most people I have met who haven't been here seem to think we live in the middle of a desert. Others I've met seem to think we're somewhere near the Mexican border. I think this will always give Dallas a bit of an identity crisis.
I was just using those cities as an example. When you say their names, an image pops into mind. When you say Dallas, it varies so widely.

However, I agree fully with your post. Dallas is not really that southern to begin with (in my opinion-for the love of god people, do not turn this into a debate on whether Dallas is southern or not) compared to the others. Dallas is at the crossroads of:

1) The south
2) The southwest
3) The Midwest
4) The Great Plains
5) Mexican culture

No other city in the south is at the cross roads of so many points.

Given that Dallas is in the process of building a new itinerary and the city is almost 50% Hispanic, I have a feeling whatever the new identity is, it will incorporate that.

Ill say it again, Dallas and DFW are incredibly well rounded. That is a good thing, but it can lead to an identity crisis since its hard to stick Dallas to doing one thing really big.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:31 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
I wouldn't say Dallas is at the crossroads of the Midwest or Mexican culture though. I'd give it more of a Southern/Southwestern/Gret Plains vibe than any of the other ones you listed.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I wouldn't say Dallas is at the crossroads of the Midwest or Mexican culture though. I'd give it more of a Southern/Southwestern/Gret Plains vibe than any of the other ones you listed.
Traditionally and historically, no Dallas wasn't at the crossroads of Mexican culture. However, today I very much think it is.

You cant have the nations 3rd largest Mexican population (which numbers over 1.5 million and 650,000 foreign born) which is about 25% (Mexican not total Hispanic) of your total metro area population and not be at that crossroad.

Dallas was not one of the traditionally Tejano/Hispanic cities in Texas. In 2010, I dont think there can be any denying the connection Dallas and DFW have to Mexican culture. There are simply too many of them and they make up too large a portion of the total population for there not to be. So I do stand by the assumption that Dallas and DFW are at the crossroads of Mexican culture.

Sort of on the same note, I found this article that names the Mexican consulate in Dallas as the nations 3rd busiest after LA and Chicago:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/world/mexico/stories/DN-mexconsul_16met.ART.State.Edition1.4b5ce26.html (broken link)

The Midwestern one is more up for debate, so I am willing to entertain the notion that I may be off on that one.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:50 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Dallas culture is transplanted citizens upset about the heat and the fact that things aren't like they were back home (especially Californians) but....oooh look, another Wal-Mart!!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:13 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,188 times
I think LAnative10 has the right idea. Hispanic culture was not always a big part of Dallas, but it is now and I don't see that changing at any point in the future.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:45 AM

123 posts, read 157,688 times
I was thinking more on the line of cultural amenties. What's Dallas selling point outside of being a buisness friendly city.. If I didn't know Anything about Dallas what would make me wanna visit? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think too many people outside TX knows what's going on in Dallas outside of economic stuff.. I think the city needs some type of brand..

Atlanta: civil rights movement. Black Hollywood/media hub. MLK, Coke etc
LA: Hollywood Rodeo dr etc
New Orleans: French quarters, Burbon st. Good Food,
Miami: Latin America, Nightlife,Beaches

These cities are changing In demographics but yet there still able to keep there Brand.. I'm think Dallad never really set a brand as it was developing into a major city.. This is just off observation.. Correct me if I'm wrong..

Old 08-11-2010, 01:22 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchezMugler View Post
I was thinking more on the line of cultural amenties. What's Dallas selling point outside of being a buisness friendly city.. If I didn't know Anything about Dallas what would make me wanna visit? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think too many people outside TX knows what's going on in Dallas outside of economic stuff.. I think the city needs some type of brand..

It doesn't really have one. No one ever says they want to move to Dallas because of how awesome the city is culturally. It's a stupidly hot collection of cities with decent restaurants and lots of shopping shoved together.

The defining feature that Dallas has is that it's cheap. So people move here. Go back through and look at the "moving to Dallas" posts. At least 80% of them mention the "low cost of living" as a primary factor in the move.

If you're looking for cultural identity, look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas