Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:53 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,820,496 times

Advertisements

I think I know the answer here...

TOURISTS!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:49 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,598,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
And it seemed like, in the 90s, Deep Ellum was attracting creative class types. Weren't Yahoo and Mark Cuban's company based in DE? And we still have the likes of Reel F/X there there today. But then it all devolved.
Mark Cuban started Broadcast.com in DE, which was sold to Yahoo. Yahoo used to be in that building and even expanded into the building Reel F/X is in now. Unfortunately, Yahoo downsized after the Y2K bust, which is how Reel F/X got their building. Then some higher ups in Yahoo moved to the suburbs, got tired of their drive to DE, claimed it was unsafe to work in DE and moved the office to Richardson. Sigh. I miss Angry Dog lunches.

Brian

Old 02-15-2011, 07:03 AM

965 posts, read 1,887,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Many places in Dallas are jam-packed with the creative class - where did you live?

A few apartment complexes in Bishop Arts, Deep Ellum, or Lakewood does not equal "jam-packed". I hate to burst your usual bubble of delusions, but we've been through this before honey, creative types moving to Texas tend to go to Austin, NOT Dallas. I know the truth hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Dallas isn't good for the creative class?

A lot of people don't realize exactly how important Deep Ellum is to the history of blues music. Some of the biggest and most important names in blues both played and recorded here. It's really a shame how far it has fallen from where it was just 10-15 years ago.
I said it doesn't cater to the creative class, not that it wasn't a good place for them. People love to misquote me and misconstrue my words to fulfill their own agendas. As I said earlier, Dallas is a conservative, business-oriented city first and caters mainly to that type. Everything and everyone else is secondary.

Deep Ellum is something that should be treasured and shouldn't be taken for granted and halfway ignored like it has been. Back in the 90's, it was the place, and its music heritage should be more publicized. In a real city, there would've been a lot more done to it to make it more well-known and even become a bonafide tourist district. Oh well.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 02-15-2011 at 07:12 AM..

Old 02-15-2011, 10:19 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
A few apartment complexes in Bishop Arts, Deep Ellum, or Lakewood does not equal "jam-packed". I hate to burst your usual bubble of delusions, but we've been through this before honey, creative types moving to Texas tend to go to Austin, NOT Dallas. I know the truth hurts..
Perhaps is it you who is delusional (I usually don't make personal attacks but since you attacked me I'm going to call you a name - God forgive me) or maybe you are just misinformed because generally they don't live in apartment complexes. In fact East Dallas (not Far East Dallas) and North Oak Cliff really don't have many large apartment complexes at all...the apartment buildings we do have range from fourplexes up to the Gaston Avenue variety of 20-30 units at most. There area some larger complexes in Oak Lawn but not the large ones you see out north. There's only one complex like that in Cedars area and that's Southside on Lamar, hardly a domicile of corporate drones. Many live in single family homes, duplexes, garage apartments, studios, lofts...

Just about everyone I know is involved in some sort of creative pursuit whether it is avocation or vocation. And many are very entrepreneurial or academic types. Facebook has linked up a one or two-degree of separation for the in-town types and we all know each other better now - there are usually several events each week (sometimes each day) where something of that sort is the attraction. Most of them of course are younger than I but I am still connected - they even have a few 'mascots'.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Perhaps is it you who is delusional (I usually don't make personal attacks but since you attacked me I'm going to call you a name - God forgive me)
I didn't call you delusional, I was just saying that you are in a bubble of delusions - totally different things. You've admitted to being in a "bubble" before, so no need to cry now.

Quote:
or maybe you are just misinformed because generally they don't live in apartment complexes. In fact East Dallas (not Far East Dallas) and North Oak Cliff really don't have many large apartment complexes at all...the apartment buildings we do have range from fourplexes up to the Gaston Avenue variety of 20-30 units at most. There area some larger complexes in Oak Lawn but not the large ones you see out north. There's only one complex like that in Cedars area and that's Southside on Lamar, hardly a domicile of corporate drones. Many live in single family homes, duplexes, garage apartments, studios, lofts...
Since you can't refute what I said about Dallas not being a prime creative-class destination, you attempt to sidetrack my argument over a few semantics about what constitutes an apartment complex? Okey-dokey .

I know good and darn well that those are mainly duplexes/SFH's/studios/lofts are in those areas. That still doesn't mean "jam-packed," that my point.

Quote:
Just about everyone I know is involved in some sort of creative pursuit whether it is avocation or vocation. And many are very entrepreneurial or academic types. Facebook has linked up a one or two-degree of separation for the in-town types and we all know each other better now - there are usually several events each week (sometimes each day) where something of that sort is the attraction. Most of them of course are younger than I but I am still connected - they even have a few 'mascots'.
Cool story, bro.

But even with two or three degrees of separation, I'd estimate that's about 500-1,000 people at the most. Heck, I'll be generous and say up to 2,000 . Out of a city of 1.3 Million that caters mainly to business/financial interests. Everything and everyone else is secondary. I'd expect the 8th-largest city to have at least a few of these types there, and the city has a thriving music scene (Erykah Badu, Edie Brickell, and home to the Polyphonic Spree after all), but to say that Dallas is "jam-packed" with a large creative class is a fallacy.

For example, I now live in a city full of self-important pencil-pushers and elitists of the douchoise with "important" job titles. While there is a creative class here, it's not "jam-packed" with them either. See what I mean now?

Before people ask me why am I posting here since I hated Dallas so much, I figure as long as I'm still paying property taxes to the Lone Star State for my houses that I rent out and I have a few more alimony checks to pay to That Man - which indirectly contribute to the Texas economy- I feel it's my right. Speaking of which, off to the post office .

Ta-ta for now lovemuffins!

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 02-15-2011 at 11:31 AM..

Old 02-15-2011, 11:27 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
I didn't sidetrack I just proved that you don't know much about the creative class areas of Dallas if you think they are mainly large apartment complexes.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 AM

419 posts, read 998,489 times
Quote:
Before people ask me why am I posting here since I hated Dallas so much, I figure as long as I'm still paying property taxes to the Lone Star State for my houses that I rent out and I have a few more alimony checks to pay to that bastard
Ah, the unnecessary hyperbolic venom behind your posts are clear now. Your ex lives here and you got divorced here. So your memories ain't that great.
Don't take it out on the rest of us.

Bashing Dallas doesn't mean you win against your ex. It just means you still have bitterness and an inferiority complex.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAPRESIDENT View Post
Ah, the unnecessary hyperbolic venom behind your posts are clear now. Your ex lives here and you got divorced here. So your memories ain't that great.
Don't take it out on the rest of us.

Bashing Dallas doesn't mean you win against your ex. It just means you still have bitterness and an inferiority complex.

Bitter? Maybe. Inferiority complex? NEVER! Truth be told, I've been accused of being the opposite.

And what's so 'venomous' about saying that Dallas is a business-oriented city? It's true, isn't it?

Old 02-15-2011, 12:27 PM

954 posts, read 1,550,698 times
Do you think Dallas has better weather than Houston ? I do, so you shouldn't use climate as an excuse to say that Dallas can't be a tourist attraction because there's a city that's a huge tourist attraction, even international to a certain extent, and it has virtually the same climate as Houston: NOLA. You're just gonna have to fugure out what you can develope in Dallas that would attract the masses ?

Old 02-15-2011, 02:21 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,958 times
Quote:
Since you can't refute what I said about Dallas not being a prime creative-class destination, you attempt to sidetrack my argument over a few semantics about what constitutes an apartment complex? Okey-dokey .

I know good and darn well that those are mainly duplexes/SFH's/studios/lofts are in those areas. That still doesn't mean "jam-packed," that my point.

But even with two or three degrees of separation, I'd estimate that's about 500-1,000 people at the most. Heck, I'll be generous and say up to 2,000 . Out of a city of 1.3 Million that caters mainly to business/financial interests. Everything and everyone else is secondary. I'd expect the 8th-largest city to have at least a few of these types there, and the city has a thriving music scene (Erykah Badu, Edie Brickell, and home to the Polyphonic Spree after all), but to say that Dallas is "jam-packed" with a large creative class is a fallacy.

For example, I now live in a city full of self-important pencil-pushers and elitists of the douchoise with "important" job titles. While there is a creative class here, it's not "jam-packed" with them either. See what I mean now?

Before people ask me why am I posting here since I hated Dallas so much, I figure as long as I'm still paying property taxes to the Lone Star State for my houses that I rent out and I have a few more alimony checks to pay to That Man - which indirectly contribute to the Texas economy- I feel it's my right. Speaking of which, off to the post office .

Ta-ta for now lovemuffins!

Obviously Dallas caters to the business crowd. Who's saying it doesn't? That doesn't mean there aren't plenty of artists here or that Dallas doesn't have a deep history in music. There are PLENTY of creative and artistic people in Dallas. But you're right, it's not jam-packed. And why does it need to be? Deep Ellum, Oak Cliff, The Cedars, East Dallas, Little Forest Hills, etc. house plenty of artistic types. I guess what you're getting at is that not every other person in Dallas is a self-absorbed guitarist living off of their parents, playing in some forgettable band that is a carbon copy of the 10,000 other bands going nowhere in the city. No, that's not Dallas. Austin can keep that. Dallas has more than a rich enough musical history. Nobody's worried that it doesn't meet your standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas