Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 08:41 PM

13 posts, read 62,052 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving from north lake highlands because rebate tired of Dallas-or at least our area of Dallas. We are by Richland college and didn't realize exactly what we were getting into when we moved here two years ago. We have a daughter who will start school in two years and we are thinking we will try to move somewhere where she can go to our neighborhood school. Here it is Aiken and the overwhelming majority of kids there are transient apartment kids from what we e heard, read and seen.

We are thinking about a house in firewheel estates 01 that is on the golf course and has a large yard. We would have to fix it up but we think the money would work out if we got it at the price we are hoping for.

The question is the garland isd. Apparently you can pick your school but our neighborhood elementary would be Abbett elementary. I've heard that elementary is okay but the middle and high schools in garland aren't exactly desirable. Any thoughts?

We are trying to stay within a 30 minute (on a normal-bad day) commute of northwest hwy and Preston.

Also what will the expansion of GBT further east do to house values in the firewheel area?

Thanks for any input you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 09:24 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,242,029 times
So long as your house doesn't end up under or right next to the extension then home values will probably stay the same or may rise. Being close to the freeway is a benefit for most people, but there are some areas of Garland where the extension is practically in peoples yards.

I wouldn't say the middle and high schools are terrible, but there can be huge differences between one campus and another. Middle school wise I know Bussey and Sellars have some issues. Things tend to resolve by 10th grade because the problem students usually drop out freshman year.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:41 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,261,385 times
The GBTP has reached the firewheel area a long time ago so I don't anticipate the prices to move at all and as Mary said, of course, as long as you don't abutt to the highway, you will be fine.

The school district is very big and there are some very good schools and some that aren't. There is indeed a choice of school but you have to turn in the forms around January for the choice of school. Preference is given to the kids living in the immediate area then to the alternate but you have to get your own transportation.

I hear good things about Abbett. Check greatschools.net and schooldigger.com for reviews from parents too. Obviously ratings change year to year but again there are some that perform consistently well. One Middle school that is a magnet one is Austin that has parents raving about it.

Naima

Old 07-11-2011, 05:56 AM

827 posts, read 1,673,240 times
WHAT are transient apartment kids? I live in the area and the kids in my complex are very good kids, behave well and are very nice as are their parents. There are other complexes that have some trouble BUT the majority are pretty good. I listen to the scanner and even Firewheel has it's share of trouble, cops get calls quite a bit in that region as well.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:33 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,041,292 times
I never knew the area around Richland College was considered Lake Highlands. Yes Aiken does have a large amount of transient kids (kids living in apartments). There are quite a few apartments in that area and I don't see things changing anytime soon.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:26 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
I live in Firewheel. Love it! My parents bought a house in The Greens a few years ago and love it as well. The Greens is just on the other side of Brand Rd and is a mix of custom homes built 20+ years ago and newer homes by Standard Pacific and a few others.

As for the house you are looking at in Firewheel, it's going to depend exactly in which area it is in if you are going to see it appreciate with updates over time. Since it backs up to the golf course then the chances are it's in a better area (there are 2 streets of houses that back up to where ASI is that are not as well kept up and by lower end builders way back when). If you do the right updates and keep the house and yard nice and well taken care of whenever you go to sell you should not have a problem. Houses that are well cared for w/ nice updates sell fast in this area. It's surprising the number of people in this area that actually just stay in the area and just move up or down and never leave the immediate area.

As for GBT/190, it's already thru this area. I only see it improving this area. There are no houses in the Firewheel neighborhoods that back up to GBT so you are safe there The golf course is a very nice course and has summer camps for the kids to take golf classes. My daughter has loved it and now plays regularly.

There is a Firewheel Moms Club that meets regularly and they also plan the annual Fall Festival and Easter Egg Hunt. Very involved area

As for schools........ I've got firsthand experience w/ both Abbett and Luna Elementary. Go with Luna. It's by far much better in so many ways. Yes, the GISD is a "choice of school" district but there are still neighborhood schools. Those that reside in that schools zone get first dibs on the slots for that school. The choice of school period for elementary is in February. Since she does not start for 2 more years you are safe for this year . As for the rep of the GISD. Did you know that Garland HS is one of the top schools in the entire area whose students outperform even Allen, McKinney, Frisco and most Plano schools when it comes to the SAT. I have a child at Garland HS and we love it. The youngest is on track to go there as well. The GISD also has magnet programs that start in kindergarten. I can give you a lot more information on those if you are interested.

I'd say you can pm me the address of the house you are interested in and I can give you all of the inside scoop on it but I'm not allowed to send pm's or receive them...... I could also give you more insight into the elementary school information via pm that I would not put out here. URGH!!!!!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:30 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,750,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post

I wouldn't say the middle and high schools are terrible, but there can be huge differences between one campus and another. Middle school wise I know Bussey and Sellars have some issues. Things tend to resolve by 10th grade because the problem students usually drop out freshman year.
That's interesting that you say that about Bussey. When DSD was headed to MS Bussey was the place to avoid and Webb was very good. (and fortunately our neighborhood MS). But several years later, I was subbing there on a pretty regular basis. The reputation had improved and I was very impressed with the students and staff. Actually it seemed that the parental involvement was a key. But the principal that turned it around was tapped for Sachse HS.

And over time Webb took a downturn. Although when it had a good reputation, the current Rowlett HS principal was the Vice Principal there. Who also now happens to be married to the Sachse HS Principal. Clear as mud?

Old 07-11-2011, 05:34 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
That's interesting that you say that about Bussey. When DSD was headed to MS Bussey was the place to avoid and Webb was very good. (and fortunately our neighborhood MS). But several years later, I was subbing there on a pretty regular basis. The reputation had improved and I was very impressed with the students and staff. Actually it seemed that the parental involvement was a key. But the principal that turned it around was tapped for Sachse HS.

And over time Webb took a downturn. Although when it had a good reputation, the current Rowlett HS principal was the Vice Principal there. Who also now happens to be married to the Sachse HS Principal. Clear as mud?
LOL!!! Webb is one school I'd avoid. SERIOUSLY! If mine had not gotten into Austin I was not going to put her at Webb and Bussey was a serious contender. With one at Garland HS I know the kids and parents that went thru there and still have siblings there. No complaints. Webb on the other hand ! The principal needs to retire already. He didn't get the position at GHS for this next year so maybe he is getting the hint that he won't ever get a hs principal position. He didn't even get the open one at SGHS. Needless to say last I heard he was sulking........ maybe he can sulk all the way to retiring.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:32 AM

Default Transient apartment kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
WHAT are transient apartment kids?
They are just that. Kids that live in apartments and move around a lot. They tend to stay in a certain place for months rather than years. I have talked to several teachers who say that this is the must challenging part of being in a school where there are a lot of apartment kids. They will transfer into a new school at various points of the school year and the teacher has to try and adapt to whatever education level they are at when they come in. One fiend who is a teacher says that some kids will only stay for a few months because their parents will get behind on their rent and it is easier to just move than try to catch up.

It says more about their parent(s) than it does about the kids...

Old 07-12-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I never knew the area around Richland College was considered Lake Highlands.
After reading the replies to this post I guess it isn't. We are zoned for LHHS and we get the LH advocate. Some people do refer to our area as Lake Highlands--realtors and a developer mostly though just trying to convince people to move here.

We don't like it here too much and I think if we had a different realtor originally we wouldnt have bought here. But we totally renovated a gutted house and should be able to make some money on it when we do sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas