Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 02:56 AM

4 posts, read 10,896 times

Advertisements

mentioned Jerry Haynes just before I was going to.. what I nice man. He also acted in a couple Walker Texas Ranges episodes if I am not mistaken. Also Dallas...

My next door neighbor for many years. Murphy Martin. For those who didn't know him, you missed knowing a wpmderful caring man. Both he and his wife Joyce were a match made in Heaven and it was just recently that we lost Joyce. I hope she is there with Murphy and they are calling the news here on earth as they see it. God Bless you Murphy, my friend and neighbor. I know I am so much better and glad that I knew both you and Joyce.

Murphy was the first to tell us that President John F. Kennedy had been shot....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,023 times
How about watching Bill Tillman at The Railhead, worrying the gold buildings would blind you if you looked directly at them in the sun, all the TV monitors on the wall and playing Pole Position in the vault at Tango on lower Greenville, waiting in line at Packards/Confetti/Fast & Cool, the slide you went down after seeing Santa at the downtown Titche, when LBJ was a ditch, the town of Renner and the ghost house, when Greenville Ave was a fun 2-lane blacktop with curves and hills, Olympic Pizza where you could buy beer if you looked at least 16, Dallas Parkway before the tollway was there (why is there so much space between sides Dad?), Addison when it was a real town.

As for Granny's Dinner Playhouse that some have mentioned, I worked there all through high school (78-81). It was the coolest job you can imagine for a high school kid. About 24 years later, I ran a consulting company and was calling on a potential client. As I sat in this guys office, the owner of the company stuck his head in the door, looked at me, smiled and said "hey Curt, how have you been?" It was Perry Cloud, the owner of Granny's all those years ago. It floored me that he remembered some high school kid who'd worked for him 24 years earlier. He was and still is one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,999 times
Default I went there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilliansage View Post
Trying to find anyone who remembers where the old skate park was off of Forest Ln and what it was called. It was either at Forest and Jupiter or Forest and Plano Rd. I remember going there in the 70's with my parents and watching people skate.
It was Wizard, and I'd love to find some pics.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,132 times
Whatever happened to the Varsity Shop Men's Clothing Store, located across from SMU in Dallas, Texas?
I know their gone, but did they ever reopen in another location?

Old 08-29-2014, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung View Post
Where was the Richardson location of Next Door? I think that was the one I went to. is the building still there?

Someone else mentioned Polar Bear Ice Cream, there was one in Plano but I think it was called Polar Bear Ashburn's or something similar. Loved going there. I think since then it has been (and still is) one or two different restaurants.
The Next Door located in Richardson was in the Promenade Shopping Center. All of the buildings were razed in order to build a Kroger.

Polar Bear Ice Cream and Polar Bear Ashburn's were one and the same.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:54 PM

325 posts, read 441,685 times
Who went to Dick Chaplin's?

Old 08-31-2014, 08:16 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMachineshop View Post
Who went to Dick Chaplin's?
Raising hand. I HATED it!

Old 03-10-2015, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_from_Dallas View Post
I used to work at the Next Door Restaurant on Beltline Rd. in Carrollton as a teenager. As I recall there was a location in Richardson and one by White Rock Lake but I never visted those locations.

I still occasionally mention it to people who grew up in Dallas but I hardly ever meet anyone who remembers it.

The whole theme of the restaurant was the Revolutionary War. Everything was red, white and blue and there where paintings of war scenes and early American history on the walls next to most tables.

The fries were the first curly fries I remember seeing and they were cut fresh daily. Onion rings were also made fresh but everything else was frozen.

You placed your order from your table via a red phone and they called you to pick it up when it was ready.

I wish I could recall some of the names of the dishes but my mind is failing. I think there may have been a Carrie-Nation salad or something like that.

I'm sure that it's the same with almost every restaurant but if you knew some of the stuff that went on there you wouldn't have been pleased to eat there.

That's all I can remember right now but maybe someone else will say something that will trigger my memory.
Edward....when did you work there? Remember the red or blue culotte skirt uniform with the bib and straps that crossed in back...had to wear a white top with it to be "in uniform" It was my first job... worked there in 73 when Steve P was the assistant (drove a little 2 seat sports car?) Elbert was a cook, and I cannot remember the name of the day bus boy that made the suzy Q fries by the barrel with the drill and the blade...he used to eat his #1... the Hickory burger (of the 13 they had on the menu) in 10 minutes flat and be back to work.... As for what was fresh...the onion rings, the Suzy Q's, the Texas garlic toast, the spaghetti (for the Red coat spaghetti which was chili and cheese over the spaghetti noodles and heated in the aluminum hand pump steamer...3 pumps!) were all fresh. (I know, because I worked prep in the summer) The malts had whip cream & a cherry on them, the chocolate milk over crushed ice was called a Spirit of 76, can't remember what they called the brick with the 2 slices angel food cake and either hot fudge or strawberry sauce... I wish I could find a steamer like that was...use to make me a mac and cheese for break in it.
The man who owned them was Charles River...the Charles River Corporation... The Carrie Nation salad was on a platter, lettuce, chopped ham, cheddar cheese and two tomato slices on top, with croutons and the best thousand island dressing... the kids burgers had those little clear colored zoo animals stuck on top, and everyone wanted the chimpanzee or the giraffe...lol It was a Mexican food place the last time I went by it. They used to buzz the table to let you know the order was ready....

Old 03-31-2015, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,487 times
Old Richardson:

The Cactus - Mexican food -had "Macho Nachos" - then became the Pink Flamingo...where the Razzoos is in Keystone.
Mr. Soccer - Keystone
Rajun Cajun Restaurant - Belt Line + 75
Jaguar/AMC/Renault Dealer on E. Spring Valley @ 75 - next to Thunderbird roller rink
Canyon Creek Movie Theatre - then Victory theater - Asian...then the Castle.
Driving Range - Renner + 75 NE corner.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 5,554 times
Default JFK in front of Ed Maher Ford

Hello Mike,
I liked reading your post about the old area East of SMU. Remember the hangars and airport on the land where the Village now is?

My father (Jim Shropshire, Jr.) worked with your father at Ed Maher Ford. I used to see him when we went downtown, but I can't exactly recall his face. Steve Maher posted a scan in Flicker of a b/w photo of President Kennedy and his limo passing in front of the dealership on the day he was killed. My father was in the photo and I think yours may be in it too. Here's the link: [url]https://flic.kr/p/6qZoeG[/url]

Is your dad the man in the sunglasses and light colored coat on the right? If not, he may be one of the others standing on the sidewalk . . . This was a historic moment and Dad mentioned it when he got home, but never said much else.

Do you remember any of the other salesmen?

Jim S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas