Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 04:00 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,830,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAPRESIDENT View Post
How do you get determine what "people in North Texas" think about race? Don't you only get to determine how people in North Texas with whom you interacted treated you? And even then, it is only your perception that you are gauging, instead of what was in their heads.

I'm a white dude. I've never had to face discrimination based on race. I can't imagine what it would feel like. However, I take issue with the contention that when a white person is rude to a black person it is racially motivated. Some people are just a$$holes.

Even as a white person, "people in North Texas" occasionally look at me strange. "People in North Texas" aren't immediately at ease with me. "People in North Texas" misunderstand me. "People in North Texas" think I don't belong.

You may assume that white folk have some secret understanding with one another. That somehow, when only white people are in the same room, we we all magically get along and are nice to each other. But I'm here to tell you otherwise. People can be a$$holes, even those who ignore race.

Sometimes, when people are not nice to me, I blame one of my insecurities about my looks or personality. Occasionally I am right. But most of the time, I'm just being insecure. I wonder what percentage of the rudeness you encountered in North Texas was racially based, and what percentage was culturally or just a$$hole based.
I basically agree with you. I grew up in Los Angeles, spent 24 years in the Navy, lived all over the world and just spent the last several years in Hawaii. I am of the mind set that most people are decent; its that belief and previous experience of living in Dallas that led to our decision to move back to the Mainland (Texas). I enjoy most people and find a genuine smile goes along way. Yes I've had the unpleasant confrontations with a$$holes and Racist, but that is not what I look for or expect when I'm interacting with people.
I am quite happy with my life and life experiences, and decided a long time ago to be the one who controls my emotions/feelings on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 05:36 PM

812 posts, read 2,185,958 times
"I don't think white guys are idiot goofballs. I think most guys are idiot goofballs. LOL!"

Nailed again!

I love being an idiot goofball; that way I never make a mistake! It's just me! I can always tell my wife, "hey, I'm just a white male; cut me some slack". Works about 90% of the time. The other 10% I'm in deep doodoo.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:44 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,932,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
The thread was about segregated TV shows.
This was a gag used in Season 2 of "The Joe Schmo Show", a fake "The Bachelor/ette" with a cast of improv actors as both the bachelor/ette and the "competitors", along with two non-actors being punked.

The show opened with a large pool of potential mates, of all races. The Bachelor and Bachelorette then used their opening selections to get rid of every single non-white contestant - just like you see on the real shows.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:05 PM

3,822 posts, read 8,756,745 times
Quote:
Not really.

But my wife had 'The Bachelor' on or 'Bachelor Pad' regardless, the entire cast was white. Like 40 people. It might be a bit telling of this country's true thoughts (aside from any Yahoo sports article that generally devolves into overt derogatory slurs) that in 2011 the guy/gal on that show who has pledged to marry a random stranger- as long as they're all the same color.

But what's more interesting is how the eliminations would play out.

Or to stack the deck and make it a 'social experiment' and have the Latino/Asian/Indian guys be substantially taller, wealthier, better looking than the White guys just to see how it all plays out.

For that matter why are the housewife shows (except ATL and DC) monochromatic?
Honestly I've always thought it meant that everyone else is smarter than the white people when it comes to these shows.

And I actually see RHATL as pretty mono-chromatic too. Just in a different shade.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:30 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,397,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Honestly I've always thought it meant that everyone else is smarter than the white people when it comes to these shows.

And I actually see RHATL as pretty mono-chromatic too. Just in a different shade.
There's the one girl on the ATL show.

Now my idea is get a gal from Appalacia (plus they put a beating on my college football team once) put her on Bachelorette and get all black guys from Detroit (would Ghana be funnier) and allow the social experiment to begin...Going home to meet the parents, traditional family dinners.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:15 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,487,561 times
Well Gano, aren't you forgetting that the date show that started in all was "Flava of Love"? I haven't forgotten, cuz I saw pretty much every episode.

Anyways, dontcha think that bottom line about those shows is that the broadest audience intersects at the lowest common denominator? I know my reason for watching those sort of shows certainly is that, with perhaps a slight additional factor w Flava of Love in that I have always been down with the PE more Chuck but hey who can't love his sidekick clown prince too?

Discrimination is often based in insanity or stupidity - such as is being prominently displayed in the presently running parodied thread - absurd Nazi Science, Astrology, witch-doctorey, along with an endless parade of other human endeavors including I will dare say the perennial war of the greater God. I'm quite sure neither of those are curable by today's medicine and not too optimistic about how long it will take. But I guess one has to take it in stride with a sympathetic sense of humor as I do when I'm too tired for anything intellectual and care to look into such matters for amusement when my dog is not here to do rollie-pollies for me.

But the upside to it all of course is that the other factor in the equation is fear based on ignorance. And of course we can and do cure that regularly. I see progress. History has been truly ugly - a veritable real Exodus tale - although swapping out Egypt for Hell might be more accurate. Sometimes one wonders if there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Chin up though! We're all misunderstood. Stephen Hawkins says "all we need to do is keep talking." Talk about misunderstood! Imagine Steve in the average bar trying to order a drink or pick up a chick!

Christ said "Do unto others..." - for this we call him God.
Spike Lee said "Do the Right Thing." So what's that make him? Just for fun I'll say "diversified"!

Old 08-28-2011, 08:28 PM

419 posts, read 998,802 times
gagongrey,
I didn't follow the jargon in your post. I don't mean to imply you are stupid. Instead, your writing is just hard to follow and confusing. That's actually a pretty common problem for physicians.

Quote:
Negro wake-up call?

I navigated the halls of a prep school (academic scholarship) that boasted children of the Ford and Dodge families. Was an officer for my schools Black Council that came from the Black Action Movement (BAM) during the 80's. Howard University instilled pride in me and my Blackness and the responsibilities of the 'talented tenth' that simply cannot be bought and which I've found lacking in much of Dallas. DC has a visible, active Black progressive class. I survived residency on the east coast. Making any patient feel comfortable and safe, but in some instances an older white person, who never thought they'd share a restaurant or drinking fountain with a Black man, takes a soft touch...and I am never, ever, sick at sea.

What I put out for discussion is just that. I have fun with it.

The point is more, as much a people say they're comfortable with things, television and commercials to some extent tell a contrary tale.

Don't give up on the brothers...a weekend in DC could change your life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagonogrey
What am I missing HOVAPRESIDENT?

I think you may have stumbled mid-thread and misunderstood the response.

1) The original topic was essentially why in this age on supposed racial enlightenment are many TV shows still as segregated as they were 40 years ago?

2) The response was to a perceived 'Negro wake-up call' which you can Google on Urban Dictionary.

To clarify my response, I went to a school like St. Mark's, so being Black in a mostly white environment such as Park Cities is not a new experience. I was very active with Black house councils on campus. There have been no surprises, no wake-up calls for me moving to UP. It's very much as advertised and expected.

The thread was about segregated TV shows. My response was that living here has been a non-event.

-ralph ellison's unnamed protagonist

Old 08-28-2011, 08:52 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,397,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAPRESIDENT View Post
gagongrey,
I didn't follow the jargon in your post. I don't mean to imply you are stupid. Instead, your writing is just hard to follow and confusing. That's actually a pretty common problem for physicians.
Not a problem. Enjoyed the discussions as always.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:31 AM

104 posts, read 250,862 times
Quote:
Negro wake-up call?

I navigated the halls of a prep school (academic scholarship) that boasted children of the Ford and Dodge families. Was an officer for my schools Black Council that came from the Black Action Movement (BAM) during the 80's. Howard University instilled pride in me and my Blackness and the responsibilities of the 'talented tenth' that simply cannot be bought and which I've found lacking in much of Dallas. DC has a visible, active Black progressive class. I survived residency on the east coast. Making any patient feel comfortable and safe, but in some instances an older white person, who never thought they'd share a restaurant or drinking fountain with a Black man, takes a soft touch...and I am never, ever, sick at sea.

What I put out for discussion is just that. I have fun with it.

The point is more, as much a people say they're comfortable with things, television and commercials to some extent tell a contrary tale.

Don't give up on the brothers...a weekend in DC could change your life.
I enjoy your thought provoking posts. Racism may not be as public as it once was, but it is still very much alive.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:30 AM

30 posts, read 54,661 times
Yaknow, the only people whos making race into an issue are the ones not happy with their own skin color and read up all the slavery, discrimination, Malcolm X books. Theres affirmative action and EOP and Housing, stop complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas