Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 05:24 PM

160 posts, read 432,286 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

1. this probably applies to all Texas middle schools, but specifically interested in Grapevine Middle schools - what age is the entry level grade, which I believe is 6th grade ?

2. After-school sports ? Martial Arts? Soccer ?

3. Grapevine ISD versus Northwest ISD ? The rapid growth of NW ISD and "huge-ness" kind of puts me off. Quality, sports, student to teacher ratios, etc ? Comments wanted

etc etc

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 09:11 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpritjr View Post
Hello everyone.

1. this probably applies to all Texas middle schools, but specifically interested in Grapevine Middle schools - what age is the entry level grade, which I believe is 6th grade ?

2. After-school sports ? Martial Arts? Soccer ?

3. Grapevine ISD versus Northwest ISD ? The rapid growth of NW ISD and "huge-ness" kind of puts me off. Quality, sports, student to teacher ratios, etc ? Comments wanted

etc etc

Thanks
6th-8th are the middle schools but teams sports do not start 7th grade.

Dozens of martial arts schools in the area and and active soccer association

Grapevine-Southlake Soccer Association which plays at parks near Grapevine lake.

Northwest IMO is sort of a mediocre school district, but this Byron Nelson High School seems to but as good Heritage or Grapevine High schools.

I really like Grapevine over most other communities...It has atmosphere, some natural beauty thats's missing in these cookie cutter, tract home subdivisions.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:21 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
agree that NWISD is getting too much praise for building a school that pulls all the upper middle class kids to it
it had poor history of academic excellence prior to past two years--
think it got transfers from out of state/district into new housing-- that helped test scores go up
have seen that happen over the years to districts that have influx of new students

Grapevine has excellent soccer program in its ISD I believe for UIL sports if soccer is important to you
lots of programs in area for youth sports

where is your commute? that would be important question to me

Old 10-02-2011, 07:04 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,895,583 times
Definitely need to know your commuting location. That will make a huge difference.

And yes, as others have said, NW ISD is just OK. And it is huge...

Grapevine has several karate schools in town, and the community center also has a karate program.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:33 AM

33 posts, read 85,948 times
I'd like to give my input on Grapevine ISD vs Northwest ISD from the perspective of a resident of Northwest ISD. Grapevine ISD is an excellent school district, but I think people are selling Northwest ISD short. Yes there is a lot of growth in the district, but they have done an excellent job of managing the growth. The new high school is not cherry picking only middle class students. The former Marshall creek area and parts of Roanoke have non middle class residents. In fact, Roanoke elementary offers a spanish immersion program-one of the few in the area. (In other words there are enough spanish speaking students to make it viable). Byron Nelson high school's rating is recognized, Medlin Middle school is rated exemplary. The elementary schools that are in their feeder pattern are all exemplary or recognized. This year's senior class at Byron Nelson has a National Merit semi-finalist. One last thought, a friend of mine has a son that transferred from one of the Grapevine middle schools to Medlin. He said that Medlin was more "boring" than the Grapevine school, in other words fewer fights, drama etc. From my perspective as a parent, that is a good thing. Team sports start at the 7th grade level at Northwest as well. There are active recreational sports leagues for soccer, baseball, softball and basketball in the area.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:56 AM

Work location via company car and company gas is to the area of Alliance Gateway. I have 5 years of commute (again via company car and company gas) then I retire. My kids will be 10 and 8 respectively when we move back to DFW area. After retirement, I am looking at doing self-employed consulting and Grapevine would give easy access to both Dallas and Ft Worth, not to mention travel out of DFW airport.

However the top priority is public school quality and ease of access to stores, hospitals, parks, etc for the family. Ideal situation is kids walk to middle school and high school and can also walk to parks. Mom will be stay at home working from home part time.

Southlake is slightly out of budget, well I could afford it but I want a little money left over to take the kids to the movies (!), and I prefer my kids be exposed to a cross section of other kids, not just Real Housewives of Southlake kids. Joke but you get the point. I think the wide net of Grapevine ISD is not a negative thing at all.

Being physically at another part of the world, all my research is via internet. With that said, the area near Parr Park seems like it would give easy access to the schools, and if we want to slide to Southlake, it is a quick drive over there.

Thanks...keep the posts coming...by the way who is "the" Grapevine go-to real estate person.

Last edited by billpritjr; 10-02-2011 at 12:05 PM..

Old 10-02-2011, 12:22 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpritjr View Post
Thanks...keep the posts coming...by the way who is "the" Grapevine go-to real estate person.
Remember folks, you cannot post a realtor's name on the forum. You can send the OP a DM if you have a name to recommend.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-02-2011 at 10:29 PM..

Old 10-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Remember folks, you cann ot post a realtor's name on the forum. You can send the OP a DM if you have a name to recommend.
yes send it to me via PM don't want to cause any heartburn here....

thanks

Old 10-02-2011, 10:09 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
Trophy Club is more isolated than Grapevine
you have to leave the area to go into Southlake or Roanoke to get restaurants/shopping
114 is the main route in/out and it is busy during commute time and is under construction in some parts which will get worse as the construction moves along to the west...

google an address/house that you might like--then search for Target, Tom Thumb, Walgreens, dentist, dry cleaners--
places that you would go in a normal day or so
and see how many locations come up
Grapevine is going to have more than Trophy Club
but Northwest ISD covers a LOT of territory--
if you are going to work at Alliance Gateway Trophy Club is pretty far east--
You could also consider Keller ISD which zones into the area just south of 114 and flows across 377 and I-35
There are some very nice neighborhoods in far north Keller west of 377

and you are right
the area aound Parr Park in Grapevine is great location--but the commute to Alliance would not be an easy commute--
you would have to use 114 which would take you about 20 min going north on Jackson in the AM and then a drive WEST to Alliance

how long do you want to stay in the car???

Old 10-03-2011, 04:46 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,895,583 times
If you want acess to hospitals, Grapevine is it. There is NO hospital west of Grapevine, although one is being built by THR, and there is a freestanding ER operated by North Hills. There is a small facility on 114 in Trophy Club but that is really just a surgical center.

Parr Park area of Grapevine to Alliance isn't that difficult, but it will be better when 26 reconstruction is finished in ayear or two. Right now, you'd be doing some zig-zagging on back roads to get to Kimball and out to 114. (I'm not familiar with Jackson St?)

Yes, Trophy Club us VERY isolated and has little access to the other suburbs. To me, that is a huge drawback for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas