Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 05:14 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,708,037 times

Advertisements

BigDGeek, doesn't Richardson have a fair sized Jewish community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 12:56 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh1120tchr View Post
Hi. I am moving to Dallas from NY and I wanted to find out what neighborhoods in Dallas have more Jewish people living in them than not. Most of the threads refer to Orthodox Jewish people when asking this question. I am NOT orthodox. I am very not religious. I am reform. I do NOT want to live in an orthodox community. What neighborhoods would you recommend I look at to live. I don't want my children to be the only Jewish kids in school.

Dallas has a MUCH smaller Jewish community than NYC or the Northeast. I am not Jewish but have lived in both NYC and Dallas and have Jewish friends in both cities.

If you get a map, most of the Jewish community is located between the Tollroad to the west, US 75/ Central to the east, Northwest Highway to the south, and President George Bush Turnpike to the north. The temples seem to go from more reformed on the southern end (Temple Emanu-El is at Northwest Hwy & Hillcrest, right by NorthPark Mall) to more orthodox at the northern end (you'll see many Orthodox Jews walking around on Saturdays along Hillcrest Road in Far North Dallas). The Jewish Community Center is on Northaven between Hillcrest & 75 and has great facilities and programming. Many great restaurants & bakeries, like Stein's Bakery and Cyndi's NYC Deli, are in this area. The Whole Foods on Forrest & Preston has a huge Kosher section.

It seems like most Jewish kids are in private schools, from the elite St Mark's / Hockady / Greenhill to some of the smaller ones and even Jewish schools. That is because most of the public schools in the area outlined above are not great compared to the private school offerings or other public districts in DFW. I'm sure there are more Jewish kids in Plano or Richardson ISD's (the northern end of the area I outlined) as those are strong districts.

But that is all where you would want to live with a husband & kids. As a single girl, you'll want to live in a more fun & happening neighborhood, I'm sure! Based on the budget I think I saw in your other thread ($900?), The Village Apartments in Dallas (off Lovers & 75) are your best bet.
MyVillageApts.com

They're full of young people, great facilities, near tons of shopping & and not too far from Uptown/ Knox-Henderson entertainment districts (about a 10 min / $15 cab ride). But it all depends on where your job is.....if you're working in north Frisco or out by DFW airport, it may be too long a commute. Don't think you've mentioned job location yet?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:09 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
BigDGeek, doesn't Richardson have a fair sized Jewish community?
Not really; there are some here but most of them live on the Dallas side of Coit because that's where the eruv is.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:51 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,521 times
Those who said 75248 are right on the money. When I lived there and went to J.J Pearce there were a sizable number of jewish kids in school, many of whom were in the theatre program with me. One of our best football players (best being a relative term for those who remember Pearce football 91-94 ) was Eric Rosenblum . Most of my mother's friends were Jewish, most reformed. My folks being a transplant, and most of them being transplants as well, she simply found that they often had more in common than others in the area. My mom,Mrs. Ulaner and Mrs. Weinstein are still a close knit circle, even if they have had to move their weekly lunch gatherings from the much missed Bagelsteins, to Cindi's.

I have good friends through the Theatre world, who attended Pearce as recently as 2005, who say the area still has a large number of Jewish families, and that J. J. Pearce still has a good number of Jewish students. It is a nice area. Dallas but Richardson schools for the most part. Many synagogues in the area, and the Jewish community center, is just a few minutes down 75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas