Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 01:27 PM

7 posts, read 53,324 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone ,

We are in the process of deciding between David weekley and American legend homes , the difference in price is 10k . the floorplan that we like of ALH is in Castle hills 40s site and DW floorplan is in the 50s site .I understand that ALH is fairly new builder compared to DW .
Here are few questions I would really appreciate your opinions on :
1) Between 40s and 50s site which site is better in terms of resale ?
2) Among the two builders which one provides better standard features and which is more open to give discounts on upgrades .

We are first time homes buyers so any advice / opinions will be greatly appreciated .

Thanks in advance .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 06:59 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
You are asking questions where the answers should come from someone with years of construction experience and solid knowedge of the 2 builders. A good real estate agent could guide you to make the right decision.

What I can share with you is that IMO I would go with American Legend.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:56 PM

ok Thanks for your input .
Maybe am asking very specific questions .i should rephrase it .
which builder is better among the two . I heard that Mercedes homes is out of buisness ,so if we want to live in CHN 40s or 50s site we are left to choose between ALH or DW . do you own a home build by ALH ??

Old 03-05-2012, 10:59 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skhomeaq View Post
1) Between 40s and 50s site which site is better in terms of resale ?
2) Among the two builders which one provides better standard features and which is more open to give discounts on upgrades.
50s is certainly better for resale. The 40s feel almost like townhomes since they're so close to each other.

Both builders are good. You should have received a list of standard features from each builder so you can compare and see what is important and more appealing to you. Are you building or are you looking at a spec? You will always get a better deal on a spec but if you have to build, then you're negotiating on nothing, neither will negotiate much.

Naima

Old 03-06-2012, 09:34 AM

@ Naima
We are building and are leaning towards selecting the 50s lot with David weekley .
I did look at standard fetaures of ALH and DW , DW has better standard features comparably . I think they have been in buisness for a long time too .
They are offering 10k in upgrades as an incentive . do you think its a good deal ?

Old 03-06-2012, 12:04 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
I'd get a realtor in your corner. They can help you shop around.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 PM

812 posts, read 2,183,694 times
Get a Realtor! It will not impact your price from the builder as they don't discount folks who don't work with one. If they did they'd be blacklisted by the Realtor world.The Realtor may find something else with a different builder that you didn't even think of, in an even better place! And as a buyer, you don't pay squat to the Realtor. No brainer.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:02 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skhomeaq View Post
@ Naima
We are building and are leaning towards selecting the 50s lot with David weekley .
I did look at standard fetaures of ALH and DW , DW has better standard features comparably . I think they have been in buisness for a long time too .
They are offering 10k in upgrades as an incentive . do you think its a good deal ?
Yes DW have been in business a long time but ALH are owned by the developer of CH so they are solid financially. You have to ask yourself what you get with a 10K upgrade. Probably not much. This is where a lot of builders get you, all upgrades are pretty expensive.

Naima

Old 03-06-2012, 05:45 PM

69 posts, read 121,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
50s is certainly better for resale. The 40s feel almost like townhomes since they're so close to each other.

Both builders are good. You should have received a list of standard features from each builder so you can compare and see what is important and more appealing to you. Are you building or are you looking at a spec? You will always get a better deal on a spec but if you have to build, then you're negotiating on nothing, neither will negotiate much.

Naima
Agreed, 50's are better for resale, we have one, and it is nice to have some space back there....

We bought a Spec last October, and they were giving out some pretty heavy discounts to sell inventory throughout the end of the year....

Old 03-06-2012, 09:34 PM

94 posts, read 285,100 times
Get a realtor to assist you in negotiations, and get a home inspection prior to closing. Some builder's will employ their own inspector, but don't rely on that. Have your own independent inspector come out - and let the builder know it up front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas