Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 12:17 PM

93 posts, read 196,634 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Husband and I are returning to the DFW area from out-of-state and want to settle down with our new family. We used to live in West Plano and liked the area very much. I also used to work in Flower Mound, so I know the area. There is a possibility I will be going to grad school evenings at UNT for 3 years, though only part-time. Husband works from home.

For a family with 2 kids, which city/town do you prefer and why? We liked the bigger-city feel of Plano and the fact that is closer to Dallas. But now we are re-thinking location and wondering if Flower Mound might be best.

What about the schools, both public and private? How about home prices, and also resources and the overall vibrancy of the places?

Please compare. And if you have any other places to suggest, by all means.

Thank you!

TempNest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 01:23 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
This has been discussed many times if you'll do a search. Both cities are very similar demographically, Plano is larger, FM is a little more "Country" and farther to the city stuff.

I like both but probably prefer FM because I like smaller and less crowded. Really with these 2 cities, it's just what's more convenient and your lifestyle fit.

What's wrong with Coppell & Frisco ?

Edit: Failed to add FM is prettier with more hills & trees. Much more.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:33 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,877 times
It will come down to your preferences and your feeling on both towns , both school systems are great and are very competitive . Very few do send their children to private schools. The average price of homes are probably very comparable as well . When it comes to resources , Plano due to its size may have the edge , something like the library system is absolutely great .

Old 03-17-2012, 02:29 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souleiado View Post
It will come down to your preferences and your feeling on both towns , both school systems are great and are very competitive . Very few do send their children to private schools. The average price of homes are probably very comparable as well . When it comes to resources , Plano due to its size may have the edge , something like the library system is absolutely great .
As a new comer to Plano and DFW area, I do not know Flower Mount but need to go see it from what Ive heard about it. We like Plano more thn we liked living in west Houston, Somerset Cty NJ and North Hills of Pittsburgh. It fits our lifestyle needs exceedingly well. More of the things we like to partake of are moving to PLano too like Trader Joe's etc. We find Plano attractive on the west side with hills and large trees which may come from being near where White Rock Creek provides some elevation change and moisture for fast tree/vegetation growth.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:58 AM

473 posts, read 1,199,974 times
I live in FM and have lived in Plano earlier. We also have friends in Plano and visit them often. I find Plano crowded and lot of street traffic compared to FM which is supported by the population density figures below. In addition to Plano's population, residents from nearby cities like Frisco, Allen, Richardson..etc who come to Plano for shopping or commute also escalates the traffic.

Plano : 3,820.2/sq mi
Flower Mound: 1,582/sq mi

Schools are top notch in both cities with very impressive academic statistics on standardized tests like PSAT, SAT..etc. On academic excellence (Top 1% in the nation) Plano is a notch above FM. However if you compare academic + extra curriculars, I personally rate FM above Plano.

Plano has more retail and corporate offices and more closer to Dallas. FM is open with lot of greenery, hiking, biking, running trails and close to Grapevine lake & DFW Airport. It is more central to both Dallas and Fort Worth. UNT is more closer from FM.

You'll get a newer house in FM for the same price. FM have stricter zoning laws and doesn't permits retail/commercial/apartments as easily as Plano. I am expecting some quality retail/ commercial /shopping/entertainment in FM in the next few years but it will not be to the scale or close proximity like Plano. Property Tax is almost same - Plano 2.19% and FM 2.15%.

Both are excellent cities for raising a family and you can't go wrong in either of them . You will have to weigh in all factors like commute, lifestyle, future job prospects, your kids personalities..etc.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:19 AM

Thank you all for your thoughts! I'm reminded why I loved Plano--loved the shopping, libraries, etc. selection and city feel. The traffic in Plano doesn't bother us at all. We never found traffic to be horrible in west or central Plano. Also, we really do NOT like the feeling of being further away from Dallas. For me, Plano is pushing it. It's really the commute to UNT that worries me. So I am debating on whether I can or should handle the commute and just live in Plano.

I looked at houses in the Flower Mound High zip code and they seem a lot more expensive for what you can get, say, in 75025. (I suppose 75025 is technically central Plano, but it fits the bill with great schools, etc.) In any case the houses in Flower Mound seem a lot pricier if you try to get into Flower Mound High. Any thoughts?

BTW, Rakin--which posts are you talking about? I made this post because I searched and found nothing specific comparing Plano and Flower Mound. Please share any posts you have found. Thanks!

Old 03-18-2012, 08:05 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
Quote:
In any case the houses in Flower Mound seem a lot pricier if you try to get into Flower Mound High. Any thoughts?
A lot of the newer homes, which tend be on the large/more expensive side are zoned to Flower Mound High School--Wellington and all of the REALLY nice homes in west Flower Mound on Lake Grapevine, in particular. The boundary for FMHS and Marcus is 1171, so Marcus has its fair share of nice homes included with Bridlewood, Highland Village, and west Flower Mound too.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:13 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Prices are no higher in FM than they are in Plano. Very similar, it's just that Plano has more inventory to choose from.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:27 AM

Rakin, it depends which areas within the Plano v. FM you are looking at, I guess. FM High zoning is pretty pricey, but so is 75093 in Plano. Marcus High zoning in FM is less expensive. 75025 in Plano is a great deal (I think)...

And Rakin, still waiting for the link to posts about this since you mentioned that right off the bat! (Before I posted this, I DID do a search and nothing turned up...but I don't see harm in posting a new thread on a previously-discussed topic as no topic is really "new" anyways)

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-22-2012 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: Two consecutive posts by OP

Old 03-22-2012, 11:40 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,258,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempNest View Post
For me, Plano is pushing it. It's really the commute to UNT that worries me. So I am debating on whether I can or should handle the commute and just live in Plano.
Would UTD be an alternative to UNT for the classes you are pursuing?

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas