Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Place to Raise Kids in DFW Area?
Grapevine 4 6.25%
Frisco 5 7.81%
McKinney 6 9.38%
Coppell 7 10.94%
Flowermound 6 9.38%
Plano 25 39.06%
Trophy Club 1 1.56%
Irving 1 1.56%
The Colony 2 3.13%
Southlake 7 10.94%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:44 AM

5 posts, read 14,444 times

Advertisements

My family & I will be moving to the DFW area & have spent plenty of time researching these areas online as well as excploring most of them in person. All appear to be very nice areas which has made this a bit more difficult than expected. We would love to land in a really fun spot with a lot of kids out on the streets with great schools and low crime.

In an initial drive through some areas in Grapevine there were more kids on the streets than there were houses which was great however it could have just been excellent timing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,784 times
Well, I'm partial to McKinney since I live there...and well, there's a reason we chose that area to put down our roots. But I won't rehash all my reasons why we chose that city over the others in Collin County, but you can search via my user name to see all my old posts on the subject. I really can't compare to the places further west though ( Grapevine, Flowermound, etc) as those areas were never a consideration for us due to being too far from work and nearby family and friends. But I hear great things

That said, I think ALL of these places CAN be great places to raise kids...All have plenty opportunities for kids and families. It's very neighborhood specific as far as the number of kids playing outside and involvement of neighbors. Pounding the pavement (ie...spending time in different 'hoods that interest you, talking to current residents, etc) is really the only way to see if the vibe is right for you.

And lets not forget Dallas itself... Lots of fantastic family-friendly neighborhoods there too!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:23 AM

44 posts, read 117,034 times
Your poll is too broad and subjective. You'd probably have a better response if you listed specific neighborhoods. Kids playing outside? Pretty much based on neighborhood. Any of those suburbs are great to raise a family in. Left out a lot of good cities too...

Old 04-12-2012, 11:29 AM

25 posts, read 77,699 times
Take Sunnyvale into consideration as well.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:48 AM

350 posts, read 867,811 times
Lakewood

Old 04-12-2012, 12:25 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Well, as my name suggests, I live in McKinney. I am in my mid 30's, my wife is late 20's and we specifically chose McKinney with an intent to raise kids there. We'll probably start trying to have kids early next year/ late this year. So far, we don't regret our choice to live here at all, our neighborhood in particular is packed with young kids, and while I've met them all, none of them really know me, as they are far more fond of coming over and playing with/petting our Golden Retriever Cody. He's quite popular around here.

I lived in Plano for a long time, and while that is also a great place to raise kids (which looks to be borne out in your poll so far as well) it is more built out than McKinney, and the average age of children in Plano is probably 5 yrs or more higher than McKinney.

Can't help you with advice on Grapevine, but I have quite a few friends raising kids in Frisco, with ages ranging from less than a year to 7-8 yrs old. So even though no one has voted for it, I would advise not ruling it out based solely on this poll.

Good luck!

Old 04-12-2012, 05:11 PM

119 posts, read 352,275 times
Is this a different Plano being referred to? The only one I know of is safe, overpriced, and so mind-numbingly boring that many of the high school kids decided heroin was a lot more fun than playing tennis at the rec center.

Diverse? No.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:56 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedTelephone View Post
Is this a different Plano being referred to? The only one I know of is safe, overpriced, and so mind-numbingly boring that many of the high school kids decided heroin was a lot more fun than playing tennis at the rec center.

Diverse? No.
Your idea of Plano is totally inaccurate and at least 15 years old ! Maybe you should come up north and look at our wonderful diversity you don't seem obviously to be well acquainted with

Old 04-12-2012, 05:57 PM

343 posts, read 805,270 times
Where is Dallas proper on this poll?

Old 04-12-2012, 09:02 PM

65 posts, read 122,538 times
Allen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas