Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 04:58 PM

662 posts, read 1,452,285 times

Advertisements

Actually Double G's #10 reminded me of something I both loved and hated. I liked how our neighborhood association kept the neighborhood looking good. I truly appreciate that. What I didn't appreciate was getting letters about a few weeds I was already combatting while their common areas had the same darn weeds.

Furthermore, after I moved and had some painters and workmen in my house, the head guy called me to tell me that an elderly gentleman asked to see our backyard. I was very excited thinking someone was interested in buying our house. Two days later I got a letter in the mail informing me that I must remove the swingset from our backyard before we move or I would get a 500 dollar fine. Nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 06:03 PM

7,893 posts, read 11,431,529 times
I havent heard any discussion about HP's what ever they are and I am new here. To be hoenst if someone talks good or bad about another place with fluff like many seem to get up tight about I wont listen.... schools, crime, taxes, and how they treat visitors and new comers alike do matter. High school football is a passion for me but its just a sport and a game. So not something worth of causing any long term discussion between oponents unless in good fun.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:16 PM

383 posts, read 734,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
Nice.
A long time ago I had something similar with four (count'em) four razor thin 7" weeds on an otherwise immaculate front lawn.

My former yard guy's wife dropped a dime on me thinking that was a good marketing plan.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:58 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,561,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I agree with this one. In my opinion Plano has done a very poor job in the past managing its natural resources and making them visible to residents. Creeks cross the city, but the city did nothing to highlight them, so they are basically invisible.
This is a very good point. I have often said something similar, but you articulated it much better. There really are some great natural parks and wooded trails in Plano, but unless you are 'in the know'...it's hard to know they exist. They are kind of invisible unless you are on them. Not sure why this is exactly. I have so many Plano residents say to me they wished there was more greenery/trails/parks in Plano, and when I'd mention Arbor Hills/Chisholm Trail/ Oak Point Nature Preserve, etc....they would be like "where's that?". I've lived in the DFW area for many many years, and even when I moved to Plano, it took me at least 2 years before I really discovered how nice the Chisholm Trail....and I only lived 5 minutes from it!

Old 05-25-2012, 10:28 PM

56 posts, read 77,141 times
In Texas there isn't any emphasis on improving tourism, environment, parks, lake and things like that. Plano has all these nature reserves, trails, creeks, parks, recreation centers, etc that can add a lot more value to life style and property if only we can showcase them better. I must say that some people never take time to explore these things and always complaint about lack of it. Just today I was talking to a family who moved here five years ago and didn't know about Arbor Hill Nature Reserve and Tom Muehlenback which are litreally 3-4 minutes from their home.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:34 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times
Given how crowded those places always are, it's hardly a well-kept secret.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:51 AM

Tourism is hardly a sustainable business. We need to fix the fundamentals of our economy before tourism can come back any where near it once was. Its expensive and burns a lot of fossil fuels to get there and isnt as green as some would pretend. I see no point in spending money to attract tourist in todays market other than the locals. I am all for DFW residents having places to see and relax near the metroplex where the cost of geting there in $ and carbon burn isnt so high as flying to the beaches of fla or ca or co mountainsl.

Plano isnt now nor ever going to be a tourist spot and I am pleased with that outcome.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:05 AM

56 posts, read 77,141 times
I meant Tourism in Texas in general. We wouldn't want tourists in suburbs even if they were interested in coming. Beautification of the city can be a good step to attract more corporate offices and employees in buying commercial/residential property which eventually brings more revenue hence better services from the city and better property values. This city has so much untapped potential.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:23 AM

Tourism isnt a sustainable business in this economy. Look at the areas of the country depended upon tourism with their pristine beaches etc... they are struggling. I under stood your point but dont agree chasing tourism spending is a wise strategy nor something to depend upon. We shouldnt shun tourist but to think getting a few more is going to make any difference in Tx is off the mark IMHO. Of course I could be wrong.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:52 AM

229 posts, read 305,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
You should give Houston a try
Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas