Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:19 AM

662 posts, read 1,451,744 times

Advertisements

Back in April I started a thread called What I miss about Plano: What you miss most after moving from Plano

After talking with another Plano transplant the other day, I will discuss what I don't miss about Plano.

1. The parents' competitive view about education and constant fear mongering about getting into UT or any other decent college. Their complaints about how hard it is to graduate from Plano West in the top 10%.

2. People's completely over-the-top fear of allowing children outside to play or to walk two blocks to school in a perfectly safe neighborhood. The chances of being kidnapped are almost nil, but getting in a car accident is a real possiblity--yet these same people drive their kids around all day.

3. The PTA acting as a surrogate sorority.

4. Perfectly coiffed, bleached blond hair and capri pants.

5. Strip mall after strip mall.

6. Outdoor cafes with a lovely view of a parking lot.

7. The parking lot at Plano West filled with extremely high end cars bought by overindulgent parents.

8. My vote never counting since I'm not a Republican.

9. Seeing crazy, right-wing bumper stickers everywhere.

10. People asking me which church I attend...

As you can see, I'm not just a "Negative Nellie". I started a thread about what I miss, and I do sincerely miss many things about Plano. These are the things that I'm glad to have left behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 06:42 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,559,739 times
Those are some valid ones, though I have to say I didn't experience some of those nearly as much in central Plano as did/do my west Plano friends. In my experience, these negatives (including the two I'll add below) are even less noticeable in east Plano.

A couple things I don't miss (but still experience regularly as my son's school is in north Plano):

#1 Grid-pattern of the streets...particularly in neighborhoods (you see this more in central and north Plano though). Makes an already characterless neighborhood feel even more so. Not appealing.

#2 Traffic. The streets of Plano are just busy. Guess that can be a positive as it is also a reflection of how much there is there to do...but driving around can be frustrating sometimes. Man, maybe I should recant #1...can you imagine how much worse the traffic would be if the streets WEREN'T in a grid!

Old 05-24-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
Those are some valid ones, though I have to say I didn't experience some of those nearly as much in central Plano as did/do my west Plano friends. In my experience, these negatives (including the two I'll add below) are even less noticeable in east Plano.

A couple things I don't miss (but still experience regularly as my son's school is in north Plano):

#1 Grid-pattern of the streets...particularly in neighborhoods (you see this more in central and north Plano though). Makes an already characterless neighborhood feel even more so. Not appealing.

#2 Traffic. The streets of Plano are just busy. Guess that can be a positive as it is also a reflection of how much there is there to do...but driving around can be frustrating sometimes. Man, maybe I should recant #1...can you imagine how much worse the traffic would be if the streets WEREN'T in a grid!
I moved from Plano to Austin for a year. Plano traffic is benign compared to the gridlock in non-grid patterned Austin

Old 05-24-2012, 06:51 AM

391 posts, read 923,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
I moved from Plano to Austin for a year. Plano traffic is benign compared to the gridlock in non-grid patterned Austin
You should give Houston a try

Old 05-24-2012, 06:56 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,559,739 times
And before anybody's panties get in a wad, here's the link to the OP's previous thread about what he DOES miss about Plano. For what it's worth I think these two threads are a clever idea...gives a nice breakdown of pros and cons for people considering moving here.
What you miss most after moving from Plano

Quote:
True true true. I was in Austin too for about 6 years in the late 90's, and yes, Austin traffic sucked BIG time!

Old 05-24-2012, 07:07 AM

109 posts, read 161,118 times
I have a feeling that this thread is going to turn into a Plano Bashing Carnival sooner or later and by the way OP subconciously you miss your old town.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:08 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Back in April I started a thread called What I miss about Plano: What you miss most after moving from Plano

After talking with another Plano transplant the other day, I will discuss what I don't miss about Plano.

1. The parents' competitive view about education and constant fear mongering about getting into UT or any other decent college. Their complaints about how hard it is to graduate from Plano West in the top 10%.
This is one of the reasons I like Plano. Competitive environments raise the standards for all and bring the best out of kids. That's why Harvard is better than TCU...it's not that Harvard has magical teachers or new information that other places don't have. It's because of the other students. They raise the bar. When you play with people who are better than you, your game improves.

2. People's completely over-the-top fear of allowing children outside to play or to walk two blocks to school in a perfectly safe neighborhood. The chances of being kidnapped are almost nil, but getting in a car accident is a real possiblity--yet these same people drive their kids around all day.
Dunno what you're talking about. I see kids biking and walking back and forth to school in our neighborhood all the time. When I went to Shepton, I did the same thing. We also went by ourselves to play at the park and go fishing.

7. The parking lot at Plano West filled with extremely high end cars bought by overindulgent parents.
As a child with an awesome car at 16 who is now a grounded, successful adult, I don't see why you have a problem with this. Unless it's envy.

Again - the reason I like living here. Though I'm Ron Paul this year.

Never once in 23 years of living in Plano has one single person asked me a church-related question.
Things I wouldn't miss...

All the people from everywhere else crowding up the Whole Foods.

All the people from everywhre else crowding up the Walmart at Park and the Tollway. The Whole Foods you can almost understand - but there are Walmarts everywhere.

Having to pay extra just because of where we live (for anything - home repair, food, cars, etc, etc, etc).

Old 05-24-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warnpeace View Post
I have a feeling that this thread is going to turn into a Plano Bashing Carnival sooner or later and by the way OP subconciously you miss your old town.
Not just subconsciously...I started an entire thread about why I miss Plano. Go ahead and read it too. That doesn't mean there are things that I truly am relieved to have escaped.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:02 AM

933 posts, read 1,534,626 times
Quote:

How is this a problem? Isn't a competitive school district filled with students who want to succeed better than an non-competitive one where only a handful of students care?

Quote:
I dunno where you lived... I know much has changed, but growing up, after school I'd play in the streets with the neighborhood kids until dinner time. Even when I drive around, I see kids walking home from school, ect. A few parents may be overly paranoid, but it's a small minority of them.

Quote:
5. Strip mall after strip mall.
Welcome to Suburbia.

Quote:
What do you expect? An ocean view?

Quote:
So? Who cares if other people spoil their kids, it doesn't make a difference in your life.

Quote:
True. I feel the same way. Plano probably isn't as right-wing as it was 20 years ago, though. The city is much more diverse now.

Quote:
9. Seeing crazy, right-wing bumper stickers everywhere.
Also true and feel the same way.

Quote:
Born in Plano, raised in Plano, went to high school in Plano and this happened a grand total of one time and it was someone trying to figure out where they knew me from.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,414,093 times
Quote:
I agree with this one. In my opinion Plano has done a very poor job in the past managing its natural resources and making them visible to residents. Creeks cross the city, but the city did nothing to highlight them, so they are basically invisible. Agree or not, people like to look at water, and I think Plano has less visible water than Lubbock TX. Part of this is that Plano grew quickly and is as old-school conservative Republican as they come, and conservative budgets don't have much spending money for art or nature. I think this might hurt Plano in the future, as it becomes a more generic inner ring suburb, but the city seems to be working on it on the newer west side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas