Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:08 PM

770 posts, read 1,802,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
How is this a problem? Isn't a competitive school district filled with students who want to succeed better than an non-competitive one where only a handful of students care?

I dunno where you lived... I know much has changed, but growing up, after school I'd play in the streets with the neighborhood kids until dinner time. Even when I drive around, I see kids walking home from school, ect. A few parents may be overly paranoid, but it's a small minority of them.

Welcome to Suburbia.

What do you expect? An ocean view?

So? Who cares if other people spoil their kids, it doesn't make a difference in your life.

True. I feel the same way. Plano probably isn't as right-wing as it was 20 years ago, though. The city is much more diverse now.

Also true and feel the same way.

Born in Plano, raised in Plano, went to high school in Plano and this happened a grand total of one time and it was someone trying to figure out where they knew me from.
Uh, Yes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 08:31 PM

933 posts, read 1,537,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Uh, Yes!
American Airlines offers a direct flight from DFW to Maui.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:39 PM

662 posts, read 1,454,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-G View Post
Quite so. The OP is posturing in the same way that Mark Zuckerberg did when he opened NASDAQ wearing a hoodie.
Yes, Mark Zuckerberg and I have a lot in common. I don't know what you mean by my "posturing" since the name of this thread is: What I don't miss about Plano. I gave an honest assessment of what I don't miss.

To the posters who mentioned the plethora of Asians and other nationalities, I didn't mention that fact because I actually miss the great diversity that is Plano. That is on my list of positive things about Plano.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:45 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,518,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Um have you ever heard any Parkies talking about Plano?
I don't hear Plano people talk about HP, either.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:05 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,518,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
Only people who live in Plano think there are any similarities at all between Plano and HP. ;-)
Nope. There's a reason I live in Plano and not HP. And it ain't the money.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:26 AM

56 posts, read 77,314 times
I do hear Lakewooders and others talk about Parkies & Planoites a lot.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:59 AM

662 posts, read 1,454,003 times
We have had to move twice in the past two years, and I have found the City-Data forum to be very helpful when trying to decide to which schools and neighborhoods to investigate. Thanks to the comments from people on the Austin board and the Albuquerque board we have been happy with our choices.

I still occasionally visit the Dallas and Austin boards to share my opinions and knowledge with other people seeking out advice. When I started this thread, along with my positive Plano thread, I thought it could be fun and helpful.

Several people on this board have found it necessary to call me names, to say that I'm full of "BS", that I'm lying, that Plano is a better place now that I'm gone. If you think that kind of attitude reflects well on the suburb you love so well, I can tell you it doesn't.

My list is my opinion. All anecdotes about snobbishness, etc. are true and actually happened. This thread is about what I don't miss about Plano. I thought others could contribute in kind. Why is the fact that I don't miss looking at parking lots at outdoor cafes in any way threatening? There is alot of stuff I do miss--the diversity, the shopping, the schools to name a few.

This thread is about what you do not or would not miss. Could we keep the personal attacks against me under control?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:36 AM

7,893 posts, read 11,452,887 times
Each of us unique, so an area impacts each of differently. Is Plano perfect? of course not. Is Plano better than most places I have lived? Absolutely. But all these are measured about my way of living and what I notice and focus on daily. If any of my comments were taken as a personal attack, I appologize and will also do so for the other Plano residents who might have. Thanks for sharing your views and starting this thread, I find this and the opposite on both very interesting and helpful to see how others see Plano which is a different lense than I view it through.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:13 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,826,040 times

Mod Note:

Not to put words in the mouth of the OP in this thread - and the OP is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong - but it was my take from the get-go that the intentions for this thread were for each member to post their own list of things they did not miss about Plano -- not to comment on the list he/she or any other member made.

However, the OP also needs to keep in mind that others may not see things the same way as he/she does, and that's part of posting in this forum - you have to take the con's with the pro's.

Please keep this in mind going forward - again, bashing, name calling, any personal comments, rude posts, i.e., you know the drill... are not permitted! You may attack the idea, but you cannot attack the speaker of the idea!

Carry on....

Old 05-25-2012, 09:44 AM

5,269 posts, read 6,437,293 times
Quote:
I would rather drive on the streets of west LA during rush hour than drive on the streets of Plano during the day.
Man, peoples' experiences of the same city are so different. The streets of Plano during the day (at least during working hours) are mostly empty and the cars that are there are driven by geriatrics 15 mph under the speed limit and moms in minivans who take 5 minutes to accellerate to 40 from a stoplight.

And of course the few other people who do drive normally drive like they are on the freeway because the city streets are 3 and 4 lanes - that is larger than the freeway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas