Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,758 times

Advertisements

Recent Irvine transplant, by way of San Gabriel valley. Wife and I moved to Carrollton just over a year ago. I work in Coppell, she works in Plano (Legacy area). Will probably purchase in the Frisco/Plano/McKinney/Allen area.

We're cyclists. FLAT terrain and no bike lanes, but a ton of events and open country roads.

Downtown Dallas just a 25 mile jaunt down the Dallas North Tollway. Tolls are the biggest inconvenience IMO.

Shopping and retail conveniences aplenty. As a whole, DFW has more independent eateries as compared to Orange County.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:55 PM

17 posts, read 31,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserX View Post
I'm the opposite... lived in Plano/Frisco my whole life, moved to LA a little over a year ago.

What I like about LA:
  • Weather is one billion times better. Cooler summers, warmer winters, no storms, hail, tornadoes, etc.
  • Mountains & ocean, SO MUCH to do outside, and the weather is so nice, you actually want to be outside.
  • Property tax is 1/3 the rate as TX
  • My car insurance dropped by 50% (same car, company coverage)
  • Home insurance dropped by 66%
  • Utilities are MUCH cheaper. $40 electric bills compared to $300.
  • Produce is cheaper and FRESH!
  • No toll roads!
  • More family owned businesses, less chains and big box stores
What I like about TX:
  • Cheaper housing (but outrageous taxes)
  • Less traffic
  • More conservative
  • Better schools
  • Better economy
I love living in SoCal, don't think I could go back to Texas. I always heard how expensive it is to live here, but it's not. In many ways I find it cheaper. Yes, the cost of housing is more, but that's about it. At least housing here appreciates though. Housing in TX really doesn't, at least not more than you're paying in property tax every year.

Good luck to you!
More family owned businesses and less chains and big box??? Are you kidding me?? What part of SoCal are you from?? Chains and big box is what SoCal is all about.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:30 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,051 times
Glad I found this thread as I have lived in the OC most all my life and have grown sick and tired of it and I am looking at Plano, McKinney and Frisco. Seems to me most Californians who move out there and don't like it are the ones expecting the same variety of things to do or some amazing singles scene etc... I couldn't care less. I'm sick of ridiculous traffic, insane cost of living and liberals who run the state taking away my 2nd amendment rights. All I need is a Best Buy, a grocery store, some good restaurants, a movie theater and some space to shoot my guns. Don't care about much else.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:53 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Glad I found this thread as I have lived in the OC most all my life and have grown sick and tired of it and I am looking at Plano, McKinney and Frisco. Seems to me most Californians who move out there and don't like it are the ones expecting the same variety of things to do or some amazing singles scene etc... I couldn't care less. I'm sick of ridiculous traffic, insane cost of living and liberals who run the state taking away my 2nd amendment rights. All I need is a Best Buy, a grocery store, some good restaurants, a movie theater and some space to shoot my guns. Don't care about much else.
You are correct! Anyone who expects another state/area to be a clone of their current location is setting themselves up for disappointment.

Many times people will relocate to an area without conducting as much research as possible, and most importantly - without spending time in the new location during the hottest or coldest time of the year.

There are some who say people in TX are rude, and just as many who disagree. Many times it's about the person themselves and how well they get along with others. Where I current live (Kansas City Metro) we have extremely nice, courteous and helpful people; yet there are still some who will say otherwise.

Plano is one of the areas on my list of possible relocation spots and I'm on a wait list to move into a senior complex in Plano.

I have spoken with many in my area who have frequently visited, or have family, in Plano and they all say it's a beautiful area and the people are great.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:21 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
There a really good mix of people in Plano (where I live). Very diverse and multicultural. Most Republicans and Democrats alike seem to be more libertarian than anything else. The mayor of Plano is actually a democrat (whom was chosen over the head of the Collin County GOP chair). However Democrats here are still pretty pro-gun. Once you get into the smaller communities with fewer transplants, it gets conservative across the board.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:49 PM

4 posts, read 4,479 times
I grew up in Plano, went to college in Austin (Hook 'Em!), moved to LA for 5 years, back to Austin for 3, and now live in Frisco.

I'd say the biggest advantages to Plano/Frisco over SoCal are:
- better traffic - and by that I mean, yeah we have rush hour. Everywhere has rush hour. The nice thing is that it ENDS when rush hour is over! On the weekends, open highways! As someone else noted, 5 minute drive in Plano = 4 miles.
- Convenience of retailers/grocery - there's a store to fit your needs within 5 min in any direction. Orange County is similar in this regard but LA was NOT. So I do love that.
- Family Friendly - this is the biggest factor for me. There is a TON of stuff to do for kids in the area. From sports to theme parks(yes, LA has us beat with Disneyland) to gyms to parks to the schools - I feel alot more comfortable raising a child in Plano/Frisco.
- Affordability & stable economy - it is so much cheaper to live here than socal. the economy is booming, there are tons of jobs and more companies are moving here daily.
- Variance in Weather! - don't get me wrong, i LOVED the constant sunny weather and 70's, but sometimes I want a thunderstorm or some cold! The summers can be a slog but at least we get 4 seasons here.

Cons to Plano/Frisco vs Socal
- Chains, chains, chains - I lived in LA, not orange county, so this might not apply to you. But I really miss NON-chain restaurants and stores. This may also be the Austinite in me as well, but my favorite times in LA and Austin were going to dinner/brunch with friends and finding new and interesting spots to eat. Frisco/Plano are definitely lacking in that department, however further into Dallas proper there's a ton of great dining options. I just wish they were closer to me.

- it's flat - there's really no topography at all. But damn if the sunsets aren't amazing! I actually enjoy the wide open plains north of Plano/Frisco. I remember in SoCal feeling suffocated by the sprawl. It's happening in Dallas, but there is still tons of empty farmland to stare into and get away from the noise of the city.

- no beach. meh.

hope that helps

Old 08-21-2013, 03:54 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGregg42 View Post
- Chains, chains, chains - I lived in LA, not orange county, so this might not apply to you. But I really miss NON-chain restaurants and stores. This may also be the Austinite in me as well, but my favorite times in LA and Austin were going to dinner/brunch with friends and finding new and interesting spots to eat. Frisco/Plano are definitely lacking in that department, however further into Dallas proper there's a ton of great dining options. I just wish they were closer to me.
I just have to comment real quickly on this. For Frisco, I totally agree. However, with Plano, its more complex than that. Plano has the best non-chain Asian ethnic eating in the Metroplex and is probably only second to Houston in all the southern US. There are tons and tons of Chinese, Persian, Indian, Taiwanese, Lebanese, Pakistani, etc. places to eat in Plano and almost all of good and authentic quality. Not to mention, Plano is home to the Bavarian Grill (twice ranked best German place to eat in all the US), Jorgs (the only Austrian place to eat in the state), as well as a Sweedish place to eat on K street.

I guess it depends on what youre eating. If youre talking about American food, then yes Plano and especially Frisco is mainly going to be chains. But if youre talking about ethnic food, then at least with Plano (throw in Richardson, Carrollton, Irving, and Garland too), nothing could be further from the truth.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:09 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I just have to comment real quickly on this. For Frisco, I totally agree. However, with Plano, its more complex than that. Plano has the best non-chain Asian ethnic eating in the Metroplex and is probably only second to Houston in all the southern US. There are tons and tons of Chinese, Persian, Indian, Taiwanese, Lebanese, Pakistani, etc. places to eat in Plano and almost all of good and authentic quality. Not to mention, Plano is home to the Bavarian Grill (twice ranked best German place to eat in all the US), Jorgs (the only Austrian place to eat in the state), as well as a Sweedish place to eat on K street.

I guess it depends on what youre eating. If youre talking about American food, then yes Plano and especially Frisco is mainly going to be chains. But if youre talking about ethnic food, then at least with Plano (throw in Richardson, Carrollton, Irving, and Garland too), nothing could be further from the truth.
Spot on. Totally agree. Many excellent non chain restaurants in Plano.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:14 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,226,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGregg42 View Post
I grew up in Plano, went to college in Austin (Hook 'Em!), moved to LA for 5 years, back to Austin for 3, and now live in Frisco.

I'd say the biggest advantages to Plano/Frisco over SoCal are:
- better traffic - and by that I mean, yeah we have rush hour. Everywhere has rush hour. The nice thing is that it ENDS when rush hour is over! On the weekends, open highways! As someone else noted, 5 minute drive in Plano = 4 miles.
- Convenience of retailers/grocery - there's a store to fit your needs within 5 min in any direction. Orange County is similar in this regard but LA was NOT. So I do love that.
- Family Friendly - this is the biggest factor for me. There is a TON of stuff to do for kids in the area. From sports to theme parks(yes, LA has us beat with Disneyland) to gyms to parks to the schools - I feel alot more comfortable raising a child in Plano/Frisco.
- Affordability & stable economy - it is so much cheaper to live here than socal. the economy is booming, there are tons of jobs and more companies are moving here daily.
- Variance in Weather! - don't get me wrong, i LOVED the constant sunny weather and 70's, but sometimes I want a thunderstorm or some cold! The summers can be a slog but at least we get 4 seasons here.

- it's flat - there's really no topography at all. But damn if the sunsets aren't amazing! I actually enjoy the wide open plains north of Plano/Frisco. I remember in SoCal feeling suffocated by the sprawl. It's happening in Dallas, but there is still tons of empty farmland to stare into and get away from the noise of the city.

- no beach. meh.

hope that helps
i agree with much of your post. But the whole college pride thing just doesn't happen the same way in CA. (Referencing your first sentence). Yeah people sport USC or ucla or whatever license plate frames but I don't know a lot of people who root for colleges who didn't go to that college out here. Sure, some do. But also, those who did go there don't make a point to let everyone know every five minutes. It's just a peeve of mine.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:20 PM

350 posts, read 749,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Spot on. Totally agree. Many excellent non chain restaurants in Plano.

I'll also tack on that recently, there's been a definite uptick in local places that decide to come to Plano to open a second location. Lockhart smokehouse and East Hampton Sandwich are just two examples that will be opening here soon. Sure, you could technically call that a chain, but it's a real improvement in the American food department that we're gradually seeing here, mostly due to the city beginning to mature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: