Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the beauty of the Metroplex underrated?
Yes, definitely! 22 32.84%
No, not at all 23 34.33%
Somewhat, not entirely 22 32.84%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:59 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
New to Dallas. I've always lived in more mountainous areas, where shadows come quickly in the evening. I'm in total LOVE with Dallas!!! The whole "big sky" is new to me and beautiful! Nothing more beautiful than drinks at sunset on the roof of the Nylo. When you drive around Dallas the amount of creeks and ravines is shocking and unexpected.....thinking several areas off Hillcrest. The skyline. Rockwall as you cross Lake Ray Hubbard. The vast expanse of DFW from the airport viewing park with the wind blowing. The view of Dallas from the deck at the Belmont. Preston Hollow. On and on I could go. I personally find Dallas beautiful and refreshing. All in ones perspective I guess.
I'm a lifer and seeing the area much as you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 12:05 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'm a lifer and seeing the area much as you.
From here on out, I'll be a lifer in Dallas. The beauty of Dallas goes even way beyond what one can see. The attitude of the people....sweet, humble, nice, but determined and full of high expectation. The fact you can wear boots in the morning, ride a horse, get dirty, and then wear Gucci in the evenings and attend the most urban of functions. The whole attitude is infectious and only adds to the beauty.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
From here on out, I'll be a lifer in Dallas. The beauty of Dallas goes even way beyond what one can see. The attitude of the people....sweet, humble, nice, but determined and full of high expectation. The fact you can wear boots in the morning, ride a horse, get dirty, and then wear Gucci in the evenings and attend the most urban of functions. The whole attitude is infectious and only adds to the beauty.
I'm with you. I bring in folks from all over for business reasons. Nearly always I hear comments along these lines and greatly paraphrased, "I had no idea downtown Dallas was this nice/clean/pretty/walkable". Or, "HP/UP/Preston Hollow/Westover Hills are some of the most beautiful neighborhoods I've ever seen". Or,"what's up with all the water I thought Dallas was in the desert" etc. Or a recent one from a guy who lives in Cologne, "I cannot believe all the high end Porsches here".

The fact remains it's not Hana Maui or Jackson Hole but DFW/Dallas also has zillions of cool activities and sights and spots of pretty nice terrane.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Oh yea, welcome to Texas!

Old 05-09-2013, 12:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
New to Dallas. I've always lived in more mountainous areas, where shadows come quickly in the evening. I'm in total LOVE with Dallas!!! The whole "big sky" is new to me and beautiful! Nothing more beautiful than drinks at sunset on the roof of the Nylo. When you drive around Dallas the amount of creeks and ravines is shocking and unexpected.....thinking several areas off Hillcrest. The skyline. Rockwall as you cross Lake Ray Hubbard. The vast expanse of DFW from the airport viewing park with the wind blowing. The view of Dallas from the deck at the Belmont. Preston Hollow. On and on I could go. I personally find Dallas beautiful and refreshing. All in ones perspective I guess.
It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I'm with you. I bring in folks from all over for business reasons. Nearly always I hear comments along these lines and greatly paraphrased, "I had no idea downtown Dallas was this nice/clean/pretty/walkable". Or, "HP/UP/Preston Hollow/Westover Hills are some of the most beautiful neighborhoods I've ever seen". Or,"what's up with all the water I thought Dallas was in the desert" etc. Or a recent one from a guy who lives in Cologne, "I cannot believe all the high end Porsches here".

The fact remains it's not Hana Maui or Jackson Hole but DFW/Dallas also has zillions of cool activities and sights and spots of pretty nice terrane.
LOL. I so connect with this. I work for an Italian company. The first time I had several of them to Dallas at the start of the year, all they could say was "I LIKE, I LIKE" which is their ultimate compliment. They we totally taken by the city.

Think about it, 4th largest metro in the country and not on a major river, not a seaport, pretty crappy soil for agriculture.....gotta be some beauty there for this many people to be here.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Oh yea, welcome to Texas!
Thanks!

Old 05-10-2013, 05:25 AM

490 posts, read 1,098,232 times
Quote:
The fact you can wear boots in the morning, ride a horse, get dirty, and then wear Gucci in the evenings and attend the most urban of functions.
I'll stick to sandals and boat shoes, thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's all in the eye of the beholder.
I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
LOL. I so connect with this. I work for an Italian company. The first time I had several of them to Dallas at the start of the year, all they could say was "I LIKE, I LIKE" which is their ultimate compliment. They we totally taken by the city.

Think about it, 4th largest metro in the country and not on a major river, not a seaport, pretty crappy soil for agriculture.....gotta be some beauty there for this many people to be here.
NYC, LA, SF, and MIA are the only American cities Italians care about. This you're hearing this from the horse's mouth!

Old 05-10-2013, 06:37 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
NYC, LA, SF, and MIA are the only American cities Italians care about. This you're hearing this from the horse's mouth!
You missed the point. They didn't come here on vacation. They came and were surprised by the city from what it sounds.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:51 AM

281 posts, read 643,797 times
Quote:
When I first considered moving to Dallas I looked at a lot of pictures. One that struck me is one of a longhorn in a grassy field with the city skyline behind it. I thought it was such a cool combo of boots and glitz. I can't wait to get there, I think the city and area is absolutely beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas