Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,359 times

Advertisements

I moved from Ohio to Dallas to be with my boyfriend and I am extremely homesick. I can't believe how different the culture is in Dallas. I'm living in uptown and was warned about the vanity but I didn't understand it until I experienced it. I feel uncomfortable even leaving the house. I was seen in a pair of sweats outside my condo and was told by the neighbors that I looked like a foreigner and I need to retire my "university wear".....yet it was Sunday and I was in my own place. I have already considered getting eyelash extensions and hair extensions just to fit the mold here. I considered myself a social person however I almost have a social anxiety now and just want to hide in the crowd. My boyfriend got a great opportunity and I finally got a job and I volunteer but I am just not adjusting to the culture. I was expecting a very friendly atmosphere and haven't seen much of that attitude. I was told that I will eventually make friends but why would I want to live somewhere where I don't appreciate the culture? Has anyone had a similar experience? I find myself crying almost daily and it's ruining my relationship. I don't know what the answer is but if I go back home then I will likely lose my boyfriend. I don't know the answer and this blog wasn't intended to bash Dallas but more so to express my culture shock and severe homesickness. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 09:43 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,161 times
You could try living in the suburbs.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,359 times
We are under a contract for rent but have considered to only go out in the suburbs or maybe Addison. I work up North and feel much more comfortable there so that's a good idea

Old 06-21-2013, 09:57 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
I would just tell the neighbors to 'eff off' and wear whatever I want. I've never had a stranger make such a comment before and I lived in an apartment in uptown for a while. My neighbors were of the head nod when we pass variety.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:03 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
I used to live in Uptown, from 2000 to about 2006. There are definitely some areas that are pretentious. However, just a bit further south on McKinney Ave, there are a lot of cool, laid back places to hang out. Look around the Idle Rich Pub area, it's very laid back, a t-shirt and jeans crowd. Or, go have a drink at the Gingerman. Definitely not a pretentious place.

I guess my advice would be to keep your chin up. Uptown is right next to Cedar Springs, a place known for flamboyant LGBT people and lifestyles. Don't let a few bad apples make you feel bad about your appearance. Dallas as a whole is incredibly diverse, you can be yourself and fit in just fine.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:10 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Life should be an adventure. If you change something about the adventure to suit someone else then you're not having an adventure, your that person's guest.

Don't change anything, forge ahead, be yourself. Be involved in your own life, not what someone else thinks your life should be.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:18 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioEm View Post
I moved from Ohio to Dallas to be with my boyfriend and I am extremely homesick. I can't believe how different the culture is in Dallas. I'm living in uptown and was warned about the vanity but I didn't understand it until I experienced it. I feel uncomfortable even leaving the house. I was seen in a pair of sweats outside my condo and was told by the neighbors that I looked like a foreigner and I need to retire my "university wear".....yet it was Sunday and I was in my own place. I have already considered getting eyelash extensions and hair extensions just to fit the mold here. I considered myself a social person however I almost have a social anxiety now and just want to hide in the crowd. My boyfriend got a great opportunity and I finally got a job and I volunteer but I am just not adjusting to the culture. I was expecting a very friendly atmosphere and haven't seen much of that attitude. I was told that I will eventually make friends but why would I want to live somewhere where I don't appreciate the culture? Has anyone had a similar experience? I find myself crying almost daily and it's ruining my relationship. I don't know what the answer is but if I go back home then I will likely lose my boyfriend. I don't know the answer and this blog wasn't intended to bash Dallas but more so to express my culture shock and severe homesickness. Any suggestions?
I haven't had people critique my clothing like that since I was growing up in Preston Hollow with the snobs. Up here in Richardson nobody ever hassles me for the way I choose to dress, or the fact that I do not wear makeup.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:22 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,481,511 times
I know what you mean. I'm from Michigan originally so I think I know what you are talking about. I think you will feel more comfortable in East Dallas where artificialness is not the norm; the people are real.
Does that mean you should move right away? No. Just go hang out over here. Get comfortable finding a place that feels like its more your speed.
So where to start? There's the Skillman/Live Oak area - Goldrush for breakfast.
The Gaston/Abrams area - this is Lakewood Shopping Center - pop into Curiosities.
Mockingbird/Abrams - maybe Taco Joint.
Go east a bit more to Garland Rd/Peavy - Good 2 Go for breakfast or lunch tacos, Goodfriend for beer and burgers at dinner, 20 Feet for seafood at lunch/dinner. Parking is tricky here; you can park in the back too or up the street.

Start with that. Let us know how you like it.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:42 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,493 times
I wouldn't give any of the comments that make you feel self-conscious about your appearance / clothing too much thought.
Naturally, you wouldn't want to dress in sweats for a church social but if you feel you need to alter your appearance to fit in, I'd say you're listening to the wrong crowd and need to reassess the folks you hang with.

Just sayin'.... good luck!

Old 06-22-2013, 07:16 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioEm View Post
Try the suburbs to the north. I live in W. Plano and have not experienced the vanity here which you are experiencing. I dress as I want day to day and whether in my old golf shorts and an old shirt or in wool slacks and dress shirt fit in fine up this way. I like a laid back life with conveniences near me along with diversity in where I live. Plano suits this well. Take a look at Legacy if that isnt too far north for you. I do go near Austin Waters area often but hear it too has walkable retail near higher density apartments.

Dont be discouraged, there are many types of places to live in Dallas each with a different vibe etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas