Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:11 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
The difference between my friends and the people that get hassled now...and then...is that we weren't giving the stink eye to people, we weren't following people around, and we weren't stealing anything.
Totally true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 10:45 PM

436 posts, read 1,348,382 times
I used to go to VV often. Actually, I mystery shopped at Foley's for about 4 years so I was at VV at least once a month. Mystery shopping burned me out on shopping for fun so I skipped the mall scene for a while. How ghetto is VV? I swear that an ensemble in the window of one of the men's stores was pimp apparel. Or someone who wanted to "dress like Guido the killer pimp" apparel. I'm trying to figure out where the demographic lives who shops at VV these days.

I'll go to Dillard's or Macy's if I can't find what I want at another Dillard's or Macy's but other than that, I stay away. I'm not afraid of the current crowd at the mall but I live closer to Northpark which has an equally nice theater and similar anchor stores so VV just isn't on my list anymore.

I agree that the parking at the Galleria is tough to take especially at this time of year. I usually park across the street behind the Crate and Barrel and cross Alpha. It's less stressful than dealing with the parking garages. Those garages remind me of that Seinfeld episode where they were lost in the garage.

I also agree that Valley View is the next mall to go down. I still miss Prestonwood...my first job in high school was at Prestonwood when it opened in, what, 1979?

Old 11-27-2007, 05:16 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
I used to go to VV often. Actually, I mystery shopped at Foley's for about 4 years so I was at VV at least once a month. Mystery shopping burned me out on shopping for fun so I skipped the mall scene for a while. How ghetto is VV? I swear that an ensemble in the window of one of the men's stores was pimp apparel. Or someone who wanted to "dress like Guido the killer pimp" apparel. I'm trying to figure out where the demographic lives who shops at VV these days.

I'll go to Dillard's or Macy's if I can't find what I want at another Dillard's or Macy's but other than that, I stay away. I'm not afraid of the current crowd at the mall but I live closer to Northpark which has an equally nice theater and similar anchor stores so VV just isn't on my list anymore.

I agree that the parking at the Galleria is tough to take especially at this time of year. I usually park across the street behind the Crate and Barrel and cross Alpha. It's less stressful than dealing with the parking garages. Those garages remind me of that Seinfeld episode where they were lost in the garage.

I also agree that Valley View is the next mall to go down. I still miss Prestonwood...my first job in high school was at Prestonwood when it opened in, what, 1979?
I was just at VV last night; I stopped by to pick up a couple of things at Bath & Body Works...and it was practically abandoned, i.e. hardly any people there. Lots of stores selling the type of clothing one might describe as "thug".

Old 11-27-2007, 07:44 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
There is a good chance a lot of the deteriorated apartments will go down in the next few years in that area. There is already a huge area nearby in Addison slated for redevelopement.

Yep Prestonwood opened in the summer of 1979. One of Neiman's few mistakes!

Old 11-27-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
There is a good chance a lot of the deteriorated apartments will go down in the next few years in that area. There is already a huge area nearby in Addison slated for redevelopement.

Yep Prestonwood opened in the summer of 1979. One of Neiman's few mistakes!
The apartments that were right next to the mall on Peterson are long-gone; there's a Chuck E Cheese there now.

Do you mean the ones on Montfort and Alpha? Those are really nasty.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:09 AM

That would be nice for everyone who gets stuck behind the many school buses it takes to serve those!

Old 11-27-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
That would be nice for everyone who gets stuck behind the many school buses it takes to serve those!
Heh; I'm going to get to battle the traffic right in front of Anne Frank Elementary when my office moves next week. Can't wait.

What was the DISD THINKING building that school THERE? The roads can't handle the traffic; it's a disaster area in the morning. Luckily I come home after the school run so I don't have THAT to deal with. Then there's Walker further down Montfort...can't get away from its buses either.

I'd love to see them pull down the apartments at Montfort and Alpha; that intersection is really disgusting and has been for a long time...but what happens to the people who live there now? They have to live SOMEWHERE. I suppose ICE could deport a good percentage of them, if they could be bothered; but what about the ones who have the right to be here?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:20 AM

ICE apparently can't even handle a few hundred criminals from Irving. Whoops are we taking this off-topic? Maybe Jack Floyd at the DMN is looking for morsels...

Old 12-01-2007, 10:19 PM

67 posts, read 256,680 times
well let me just give you a little advice on crime prevention if you are ever in a situation..one of my uncles who lived in New York City..told me this..if someone is ever trying to mess with you..just start acting like a hadicap person..(no offense)..seriously I used to travel all the time to big cities and the momment you act crazy trust me even the weirdos don't want to have a thing to do with you..lol

Old 12-02-2007, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,660 times
I don't frequent malls as a general rule, but I've shopped at Valley View many times since I moved to Dallas in the summer of '06, day and night. I've never had any problems or felt particularly threatened there. Maybe that's because I don't fear "minorities." I lock my car as I do anywhere else in the city. As countless people have said in this thread, crime is everywhere in the city. If you don't use a little common sense, you're more likely to get hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas