Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 10:55 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times

Advertisements

So here's the issue: 30 min to airport.

You will find everything you want as far as higher level professionals and proximity to airport in Colleyville, Coppell and Southlake. But the local flavor and avoidance of retail chains won't happen for you within 30 min of the airport. Just won't happen.

Dallas grew mostly from the 70's on. Before that it wasn't a major city. Housing stock is generally new except for core areas. The DFW airport was built away from the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 11:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I don't think the McMansion avoidance will be the tough part. More like finding a neighborhood that's "liberal."
But even in the heart of conservative West Plano, I have found people to be accepting and good neighbors.

Southlake sounds like a good choice for op.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:49 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't think the McMansion avoidance will be the tough part. More like finding a neighborhood that's "liberal."
But even in the heart of conservative West Plano, I have found people to be accepting and good neighbors.

Southlake sounds like a good choice for op.
Location-wise yes, but in every other respect...a swing and a miss IMHO.

And you are right about "liberal" neighborhoods...we have very few of those. Having said that, I'm a leftie Independent voter and nobody in mostly-Republican Richardson hassles me about it at all. My neighbors don't ask me about my politics and I don't ask them about theirs, mostly because I don't care.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:56 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Location-wise yes, but in every other respect...a swing and a miss IMHO.

And you are right about "liberal" neighborhoods...we have very few of those. Having said that, I'm a leftie Independent voter and nobody in mostly-Republican Richardson hassles me about it at all. My neighbors don't ask me about my politics and I don't ask them about theirs, mostly because I don't care.
That Both parts. We're in Southlake to be near the airport and for the schools, and yes, my neighbors and I rarely mention anything political, but everything about Southlake "feel" wise is the antithesis of what the OP is looking for. Colleyville may be marginally better, but I'd emphasize "marginally".

Just like the thread awhile back with that writer, DFW's a different place than what the OP is envisioning. They might kinda sorta find it but only with tradeoffs, and it won't be easy. Doesn't make DFW bad, just different than what they want.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:15 PM

692 posts, read 855,558 times
Irving has the commute nailed, and has tons of parks and mom'n'pops where cafes and such are concerned, but "1.5" -- don't know how to interpret that for prices. Coppell may be a better fit there. It's got lots of the same sort of thing, only with a lot more money. But also McMansions and lots of them. If you want to avoid McMansions, that means notably older homes or a custom builder and a lot.

"Liberal" really depends on what you mean. 3/4 of "Texas liberals" are "center-right libertarians" by the rest of the country's standards.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:25 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
1.5 = $1.5 million.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:28 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
Irving has the commute nailed, and has tons of parks and mom'n'pops where cafes and such are concerned, but "1.5" -- don't know how to interpret that for prices. Coppell may be a better fit there. It's got lots of the same sort of thing, only with a lot more money. But also McMansions and lots of them. If you want to avoid McMansions, that means notably older homes or a custom builder and a lot.

"Liberal" really depends on what you mean. 3/4 of "Texas liberals" are "center-right libertarians" by the rest of the country's standards.
Irving is about 15-20 min to the airport. it has Fox Glen and Cottonwood Valley that generally are higher end houses but not McMansion. Nice professional neighborhoods that have some homes in the OP's budget, but generally $500k-900k. There's also the Enclave...more expensive and pretty, kind of McMansiony. However, the Irving schools are unacceptable for those areas and OP would need private schools. Yes there are tons of mom 'n pop type shops and dives but they are in the "gritty" side of Irving where largely lower income neighborhoods border such shops and the food and retail is cheap but not so interesting.with a few delightful exceptions, Las Colinas and Valley Ranch are chain restaurants and typical big box stores. I own 5 properties in Irving and its location is wonderful, it's also less plastic than most burbs, but it is not Lakewood...

Old 07-31-2013, 01:31 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Just like the thread awhile back with that writer, DFW's a different place than what the OP is envisioning. They might kinda sorta find it but only with tradeoffs, and it won't be easy. Doesn't make DFW bad, just different than what they want.
I was also thinking of that other thread! We suggested Portland, Seattle, and Marin County to that person as a better fit; perhaps OP could look into West Coast / Pacific Northwest offices that better align with this poster's wish list.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:11 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I got to Lakewood in 20 mins from DFW last night - of course it was 9 pm. However, it can take longer to get to DFW from supposedly 'closer' locations simply because the roads are jammed in those places.

Say you are at the Galleria 635 at the tollway. Do you take the supposedly shorter 635 (a.k.a. LBJ) route? No go down the tollway to Northwest Highway to 114. Which is what Pepper is saying takes her hubby 45 mins from the east side of White Rock Lake - Lakewood is on the west side of the lake (between the lake and downtown) and therefore a bit closer.

In Lakewood, you can go Northwest Highway or Woodall Rodgers/I-35. Obviously there are times to avoid I-35. But then at other times that's much faster, in fact a breeze. DFW will also have DART rail service in 2014.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztodfw View Post
We like homes and neighborhoods with pride of ownership and character -- independent mom & pop shops and cafes, good schools, hopefully down-to-earth, liberal-minded folks like ourselves. Access to retail chains and malls is not important to us, but access to parks, walking trails, open spaces and culture/character is. Is it possible to find a neighborhood with doctors and CEOs that also has a sense of charm (and is McMansion-free?)
You've pretty much described Lakewood. There are some McMansions here and there and some adjacent sections which didn't get historic, conservation or NSA districts have a lot of them. Lakewood and East Dallas has the most conservation and historic districts of probably any section of any city in the state. They started here with Swiss Avenue.

Swiss, Lakewood Blvd, Avalon, Tokalon, Lakeshore and many other streets have large historic homes from the 1920s and 30s. There are smaller homes mixed in, mostly like the English Tudor bungalows you see in the M-Streets. There are also a lot of home from the 40s, 50s and 60s which may be a bit colonial but more likely ranch (Austin stone is very popular). Some of those are going down for new homes in the northern part of Lakewood, which surprises Lakewood Lifers. We thought they were so nice it was difficult to believe anyone would tear them down. If you knew University Park back in the 70s you would know what I mean...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas