Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
As someone who was raised in Richardson and now lives in Lakewood, I can say that there's an element of truth there. Not that Lakewood is boring - I don't think that's true! But Richardson is a gem that doesn't get enough hype. It has some really great housing stock that is aging gracefully (not all, but some), great schools, central location, old trees, fantastic restaurants (many locally owned), the much-vaunted (and misunderstood) diversity in full effect...there is so much to love!

Richardson has grown into a really great place!
It has, and a lot of people who grew up there in the 70s and 80s are returning to raise their own families.

I'd be happy with a bit more hype so we can fill up some of the empty retail space, but not too much. I don't want Richardson to become trendy. A lot of us living there keep saying it's one of DFW's best-kept secrets, and a lot of us would like to keep it that way. It's hard enough getting a parking spot at Afrah on a weeknight as it is, and there's almost always a line at Boba Latte. Don't even get me started on the hipster invasion chez Alamo Drafthouse. It's great for the city, don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater...I just don't want to see Richardson turn into packs of dorks on Vespas wearing skinny jeans rolling their eyes at everything and bitching that the corner hookah bar doesn't have free wi-fi. Or worse, coming into a hookah bar then complaining that everyone's SMOKING. I heard that at Afrah the other day..."Oooh honey, everyone on the patio is SMOKING." Um...DUH!

Plus some of us love having the secret knowledge of the best place to get a foot massage at 11pm, where to get a gram of saffron for less than $7, and which Chinese restaurants are halal or not. Keepin' it real in the 75081, yo. Even though I live in the quiet, Leave It To Beaver zip code of 75080.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 11:49 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
After giving Lakewooder a hard time from time to time, I'm actually looking into purchasing a house that feeds into Lakewood Elementary.....

Old 08-21-2013, 12:28 PM

446 posts, read 1,006,170 times
BigDGeek, you just outed Richardson. It's what Oak Cliff thinks it is!

I was there when it was all skinny jeans and vespas the first time around...when New Wave was new!

Old 08-21-2013, 01:26 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
BigDGeek, you just outed Richardson. It's what Oak Cliff thinks it is!

I was there when it was all skinny jeans and vespas the first time around...when New Wave was new!
We don't have too many hipsters...it's not at the point yet where the locals aren't still elbowing each other and snickering at them.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:11 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
After giving Lakewooder a hard time from time to time, I'm actually looking into purchasing a house that feeds into Lakewood Elementary.....
This calls for a balloon release!

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

You can join your fellow Parkie Hunter L. Hunt (Ray's son) in Lakewood. I think he has an extra house he might want to unload once his renovations at the old Ray Hubbard Estate are completed.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:23 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
Too rich for me probably(Ray's House). We want to live as modest and safe as possible to keep our boys as grounded as possible. It took me a few years to shake off the entitlement mindset, and we don't want to put them in that situation. If they can get close to the same level of education as HPISD, safe area, good values, close friends, quiet neighborhood, etc. and keep the snobbery to a minimum it seems to be the best fit so far.

I will say however, you do seem to make it sound like a club from time to time with lifers and generations all hanging out together. Thats a little intimidating, but my wife is pretty good a breaking into social circles, so I let her handle that.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:19 PM

Actually the Lakewood PTA president is a lifer who went from Lakewood through Woodrow but most of the people on the board and membership are new and new-ish. There are a lot of people who grew up in other parts of Dallas (it's fun to kid them). People make friends fast as there is a general feeling of congeniality. Some people are definitely worried about snobbery and entitlement taking hold (what, these new people don't want to drink beer in the park after the parade???), but I think we shall ultimately beat that back.

I could say more but I'm afraid I will catch a lot of flack.

BTW, I live pretty modestly but take somewhat extravagant trips and go to nice restaurants once or twice per month. I drove my 1995 pickup through the valet at Lakewood Country Club on Tuesday at the East Dallas Chamber of Commerce meeting. A few friends and I have a joke that the person with the oldest car/pickup is the richest - mine is not the oldest! Most people do not care. That's why they live in Lakewood and not other areas.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:39 PM

19,798 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Actually the Lakewood PTA president is a lifer who went from Lakewood through Woodrow but most of the people on the board and membership are new and new-ish. There are a lot of people who grew up in other parts of Dallas (it's fun to kid them). People make friends fast as there is a general feeling of congeniality. Some people are definitely worried about snobbery and entitlement taking hold (what, these new people don't want to drink beer in the park after the parade???), but I think we shall ultimately beat that back.

I could say more but I'm afraid I will catch a lot of flack.

BTW, I live pretty modestly but take somewhat extravagant trips and go to nice restaurants once or twice per month. I drove my 1995 pickup through the valet at Lakewood Country Club on Tuesday at the East Dallas Chamber of Commerce meeting. A few friends and I have a joke that the person with the oldest car/pickup is the richest - mine is not the oldest! Most people do not care. That's why they live in Lakewood and not other areas.
Honestly, I know you mean well but the way you describe Lakewood it sounds like a cross between, "The Stepford Wive's" and an early Norman Rockwell. It's a real place full of decent people - it's not a commune.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:45 PM

I'm not sure how that was Stepford...believe me the ladies of Lakewood are an independent bunch!

Old 08-21-2013, 04:24 PM

19,798 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I'm not sure how that was Stepford...believe me the ladies of Lakewood are an independent bunch!
Stepford, allegorically meaning, too perfect too nice too good to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas