Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:30 AM

14 posts, read 71,279 times

Advertisements

Our 8 yo is Autistic and we are looking at Plano Schools.

He will need a small classroom, OT & Speech.

Anyone have luck with a particular school that can meet my son's need that you can share about?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by AlecAinsleyLevi; 08-16-2013 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 11:57 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
There may have been no call backs because the teachers have been on summer break. You could leave more info as to why you are calling.

There are no paras in the Plano ISD general special ed. Most special education classes get one aide, but there is no one-on-one para for students. The state does not give the district enough money. Just FYI, the state has cut education funding, not to the bone, but has cut bone. All Texas schools are hurting.

As far as I know, all elementary schools have special education teachers that includes autism.

Plano will probably want to test your son for themself before placing him in special education. Different school districts have different criteria for placements.

Just reading what you have written about your son, have you tried ABA therapy with him. It can teach him to control himself without medication. Not covered by the school, and not always covered by insurance, but can be worth the expense.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:29 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecAinsleyLevi View Post
These schools were obviously not equipped for his disabilities and I cannot run into that problem next year.
Really? It's the school's fault that your child acts out? You admit that what you hear about him, you can't believe it's your child.

I have a friend with an autistic child... It's not easy to deal with, that is for sure. I also have friends who teach in public schools, both PISD and Frisco ISD. I've heard both sides.

If you can't afford to send him to a special school then I'd suggest you continue to homeschool since that works and you refuse to consider medication. He's obviously comfortable enough to learn at home, but out in a public school setting, if he can't handle it, then you need to consider taking the advice of medical professionals (ie, medication) and see what they recommend that can help, even if you don't necessarily like the idea. There are other kids in the classroom too, and they deserve to have the best learning environment they can get as well.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:31 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Just heard on tonight's news that Plano ISD needs to either raise taxes or cut $20 million from the budget. Not good for any student, but especially not good for SpecEd, which seems to be underfunded as is.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:53 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Really? It's the school's fault that your child acts out? You admit that what you hear about him, you can't believe it's your child.

I have a friend with an autistic child... It's not easy to deal with, that is for sure. I also have friends who teach in public schools, both PISD and Frisco ISD. I've heard both sides.

If you can't afford to send him to a special school then I'd suggest you continue to homeschool since that works and you refuse to consider medication. He's obviously comfortable enough to learn at home, but out in a public school setting, if he can't handle it, then you need to consider taking the advice of medical professionals (ie, medication) and see what they recommend that can help, even if you don't necessarily like the idea. There are other kids in the classroom too, and they deserve to have the best learning environment they can get as well.
How in the world did you come to your conclusion from the OP's post? Take a step back before jumping all over someone needlessly.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:21 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
How in the world did you come to your conclusion from the OP's post? Take a step back before jumping all over someone needlessly.
The OP significantly edited the original post.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:42 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
Know that OT is very difficult to qualify for through PISD. Unless your child cannot learn without OT (i.e. cannot hold a pencil and write) the student does not receive those services. You will need to provide OT outside of school.

You son is more likely to qualify for speech in PISD. Unless your son has severe needs, it will likely be once or twice a week in a group session.

For other readers, yes, the OP has greatly edited their original post.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:14 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
EDS summed it up for you nicely. The OP's original post was a detailed book.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
And sounded very familiar. Seems like there was a thread like that some months ago under a different user name.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:07 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
And sounded very familiar. Seems like there was a thread like that some months ago under a different user name.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: