Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 08:06 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Typical media slop (pun intended).
LOL. And the fact that "Dallas" seems to encompass every place within 60 miles of here. I did have a funny visual, hunters sitting up in my sweetgum on my 1/3 acre lot in the city limits, guns in hand waiting for feral pigs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 08:07 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
The state of Texas sold way too much of its land. There is hardly any public land in this state. Its sucks for people who like to do outdoors types of things. I used to have an ATV and you have to pay to go ride on peoples "ATV parks". Lots of other states you just go out to the public land and have at it for free.
You do realize that nothing's "free", right?

Old 09-09-2013, 08:25 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
That's a bit reassuring... but then why does the source that the OP quotes say, "In Dallas, they are bathing in rivers, spreading diseases, ruining the parks - basically, turning the city into a pig sty."

Not that I've EVER noticed such things.
Typical media spin. Their included Dallas in order to cast a larger net...aka readership. No one in Dallas County is going to give .02 about feral hog issues in Webb or Upton county. So they include larger metro areas to insure more readership. Reminds me of Fox News issuing a Tornado Warning for Dallas Texas last year...dispite nothing on radar and not a word from the local or national weather service. Why? 6 million possible viewers located 100 miles away from the storm..which wasn't even headed our way. The media knows people at sheep and react rather than think. I only replied to this thread du to this being a real issue in Texas.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:08 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I only replied to this thread du to this being a real issue in Texas.
This is definitely an issue in Texas and I don't think most people realize the severity of it.

My BIL shot 2 feral hogs on their property (which is located 5 miles east of I35 and just a few miles south of the Fort Worth city limits) a few years back. I have friends in several other locations just a little further south who are constantly shooting and trapping these hogs and they are fighting a losing a battle.

As with anything, the more numbers there are, the lack of food supplies, they move to 'greener pastures'. We have been very lucky in our immediate area so far, but the the people around here should be as concerned as their more unlucky neighbors in other counties because it is a widespread problem and only going to get worse. So, if anyone thinks it doesn't affect them, just wait, I think the day is coming.

Hog traps are an effective way to at least start in the control of these animals and can be safely employed in the urban areas (in the infested areas) as well as the rural areas.

As a side note, I will say private land is just that and no one has the right to do anything on it without the owner's permission. But I would venture to say most rural landowners who have these hogs rooting through their pastures, eating the corn out the their deer feeders, would dearly welcome any help they could get in fighting these animals.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:19 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
Quote:
Hog traps are an effective way to at least start in the control of these animals and can be safely employed in the urban areas (in the infested areas) as well as the rural areas.
To a degree. I can't count how many deer I've had to put down due to winding up in traps and breaking legs, jaws, etc. etc. Is it still worth it to eradicate the issue, I believe so.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:41 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
You do realize that nothing's "free", right?
Too many people DON'T realize that.

NM has scads of public land--and it's among the poorest states in the nation. So those of you who want all this access to "free" public land--come to NM. Then try to find a decent-paying job, LOL!

I, for one, will be glad to be going home in a few weeks to my native state where most of the land is private. It's one of the major reasons for Texas' prosperity and development.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
This is definitely an issue in Texas and I don't think most people realize the severity of it.

My BIL shot 2 feral hogs on their property (which is located 5 miles east of I35 and just a few miles south of the Fort Worth city limits) a few years back. I have friends in several other locations just a little further south who are constantly shooting and trapping these hogs and they are fighting a losing a battle.

As with anything, the more numbers there are, the lack of food supplies, they move to 'greener pastures'. We have been very lucky in our immediate area so far, but the the people around here should be as concerned as their more unlucky neighbors in other counties because it is a widespread problem and only going to get worse. So, if anyone thinks it doesn't affect them, just wait, I think the day is coming.

As a side note, I will say private land is just that and no one has the right to do anything on it without the owner's permission. But I would venture to say most rural landowners who have these hogs rooting through their pastures, eating the corn out the their deer feeders, would dearly welcome any help they could get in fighting these animals.
I recall a few years back where hogs was found inside Arlington city limits. Anyhow, I'm just saying we don't have feral hogs running around downtown Dallas. But as you pointed out, lack of food and water can cause wild life to migrate towards near by cities. We once found a large Javalina in our alley back in Midland.

Since this took place in the city limits, I couldn't legally or safely discharge a firearm. So we called Animal control who then called the Sherif's department and hey called in some hog rustlers.

These photo was taken at our ranch up in Arkansas...the field looked like an alien crop circle scene straight out of a movie.

Last edited by SVTRay; 09-10-2013 at 09:14 AM..

Old 09-10-2013, 11:26 AM

20 posts, read 42,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Not sure what the alternative is - are you suggesting we allow hunters to go on private lands without permission, as long as they are only hunting feral pigs? That's a slippery slope.

Same thing with a free-for-all urban hunt. Sounds like fun, but there are reasons discharging a firearm in heavily-populated areas is frowned upon.
Last I checked the trinity and the flood plain around it was gov property. At least allow hunting on those lands.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinD View Post
Last I checked the trinity and the flood plain around it was gov property. At least allow hunting on those lands.
That and I would use shotguns with slugs since a lot of people living in close proximity to the Trinity.

Last edited by SVTRay; 09-10-2013 at 03:16 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 02:31 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,713 times
When you can go ride on public land and not have to pay a fee then you are riding on the land for free.

Are you thinking taxes have to pay for it? Well you are wrong. Public land doesnt require money to upkeep it. Its just there and it would be there even if there were no government. Even if human beings didnt exist it would still be there open and free for anyone or anything to use it. There is such a thing as free public land. Not much if any of it in Texas though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas