Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 06:42 PM

5 posts, read 6,202 times

Advertisements

Hi
I will be moving to Dallas(Plano) shortly. When I was going through theinternet few thing was very concerning the natural and oil drilling in Dallas
What will be the impact of it on the air and water of Plano ? infant some ofthe suburbs surrounding Plano ?
Has there any research done to access the health hazard of it ?
This is very concerning since we have 2 young kidsWe zeroed on Plano based on the School district
]

Last edited by smacky06; 10-08-2013 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: make it to look better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 06:46 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,595 times
Natural gas drilling has zero impact on the quality of water, and in a city this size there won't be any meaningful impact on the air. If you lived next to a refinery or chem plant that'd be a different story, but drilling is a non-issue.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:49 PM

Thanks for your responce .
Is there oil drilling too thats happening to or just the natural gas ?

Thanks

Old 10-08-2013, 08:09 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
Just gas. You have to drive about 2.5 hours west for oil.

There are other districts besides Plano with excellent schools. Where will your work be located?

Old 10-08-2013, 08:31 PM

My husband job is in Plano itself also heard good review about plano school district thats the reason choosed Plano .
so the gas drilling is nothing to be bothered since will living in plano ?

What are the suburb that I need to be bothered to stay way from the pollution due to gas drilling ?

Old 10-09-2013, 05:07 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
You will be fine in Plano. There is no drilling there as the Barnett Shale doesn't extend that far.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:45 AM

473 posts, read 1,200,101 times
Take postings on internet with a grain of salt and unless you go into details its more likely to confuse and scare you.
You should be concerned more about the pollution due to excessive auto and retail in and around Plano than drilling in DFW :-)
Unless you are living close to a drilling site you don't have to worry. Distance is relative to each individual, but official setbacks range from 200 ft to 1500 ft in different Town's ordinances. Plano is a great place to raise a family and has excellent schools. That said, based on commute or future job locations, be open to other cities having excellent schools as well.

All kinds of pollution (Auto, Industry, Drilling....etc) contribute to the depletion of ozone and this ozone umbrella includes Plano and other cities in DFW. DFW ozone levels are not good but its better than California.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:22 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacky06 View Post
My husband job is in Plano itself also heard good review about plano school district thats the reason choosed Plano .
so the gas drilling is nothing to be bothered since will living in plano ?

What are the suburb that I need to be bothered to stay way from the pollution due to gas drilling ?
The main source of the ozone pollution in DFW are the cement kilns to the South and auto emissions. The former has been settled and is in remediation. Auto emissions are not going to change due to better vehicles and more of them cancelling things out.

As for drilling itself, the TCEQ (Texas Comission on Environmental Quality) has extensive real time monitoring of wells. The "gas drilling will kill us" meme is a flat out lie.

A Commitment to Air Quality in the Barnett Shale

Old 10-09-2013, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the response .

Could you tell me what are the areas that I need to avoid if I need to live far away from the frilling sites ?
How about the suburbs surrounding Plano for instance Frisco ?

Old 10-09-2013, 05:49 PM

Hi Guys,
This is what I was mainly concerned about
"Fracking natural Gas " is this happening in Dallas ?

What is the impact of it on Air and water ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas