Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 07:51 AM

912 posts, read 1,285,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
Or take a trip to Nuevo Progresso and walk across the border for a dental tourism experience. I know a couple folks who've done this and have saved thousands on their dental work.

Dentists Nuevo Progreso - Find a better Dentist in Nuevo Progreso
I can personally recommend this dentist: Progreso Dentist Mexico - Dentist in Nuevo Progreso - WhatClinic.com

It is crossing a border though, and I don't know how that works for someone who's here on a tourist visa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 05:22 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
I can personally recommend this dentist: Progreso Dentist Mexico - Dentist in Nuevo Progreso - WhatClinic.com

It is crossing a border though, and I don't know how that works for someone who's here on a tourist visa.
This. She might not be able to re-enter.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:27 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This. She might not be able to re-enter.
She will need to get another visa, which will be a major inconvenience. This, plus the 10 hour drive to the border, just make it unrealistic.

Just suck it up, and pay cash for a new crown here in DFW.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
She will need to get another visa, which will be a major inconvenience. This, plus the 10 hour drive to the border, just make it unrealistic.

Just suck it up, and pay cash for a new crown here in DFW.
Or stick it back on with Fixodent and wait until she gets back to India!

Old 10-10-2014, 10:18 PM

533 posts, read 642,960 times
Most Indian visitors get 10 year multiple entry visas so that should not be an issue. But the drive would definitely not be worth it. I would take BigDGeek's suggestion and get the temporary fix using fixodent!

Old 10-10-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
Most Indian visitors get 10 year multiple entry visas so that should not be an issue. But the drive would definitely not be worth it. I would take BigDGeek's suggestion and get the temporary fix using fixodent!
Indeed. I have five crowns and my very own tube of Fixodent in my bathroom drawer, just in case. They're not supposed to fall off, but hey...ish happens.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:57 AM

41 posts, read 83,608 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

We called up my mom's dentists in India, and he said it's ok to not do anything for next few months...just keep the mouth clean after every meal. And he'll fix the crown up or get a new one done when she comes back to India.

Above has put our mind to ease, but we're considering to get a first exam done at local Frisco/Plano dentist, and go from there.

Question - would the dentist give us the X-ray and report, or am I stuck with the dentists who does the initial exam for follow-up work?

Last edited by lonestar12; 10-11-2014 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-11-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar12 View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

We called up my mom's dentists in India, and he said it's ok to not do anything for next few months...just keep the mouth clean after every meal. And he'll fix the crown up or get a new one done when she comes back to India.

Above has put our mind to ease, but we're considering to get a first exam done at local Frisco/Plano dentist, and go from there.

Question - would the dentist give us the X-ray and report, or am I stuck with the dentists who does the initial exam for follow-up work?
If they do an exam, they'll want to do more work. I promise. Just relax. If she's not in pain and her dentist in India said it's OK, just relax. Obviously if pain occurs, see a dentist here because the crown may have fallen off due to decay and if you postpone an examination, she may end up needing more extensive and expensive work.

But for now, why not just follow her dentist's advice?

Old 10-13-2014, 11:50 AM

249 posts, read 330,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
But for now, why not just follow her dentist's advice?
Because India's health care standard is still far below U.S. If their main objective is not spend money then of course don't do anything. But if their main objective is dental health for mom then go to a Dentist here and get a proper exam. If she leave it along for couple months many things can happen, tooth crack when she accident bites on the tooth nub, decay leading to pain or retreatment of the root canal or teeth shifting and render the existing crown useless.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznkobee View Post
Because India's health care standard is still far below U.S. If their main objective is not spend money then of course don't do anything. But if their main objective is dental health for mom then go to a Dentist here and get a proper exam. If she leave it along for couple months many things can happen, tooth crack when she accident bites on the tooth nub, decay leading to pain or retreatment of the root canal or teeth shifting and render the existing crown useless.
That's why you stick it back on with Fixodent, dude.

Plus...if standards are so low in India, why is DFW flooded with Indian doctors and dentists (trained in India)? Are you implying I shouldn't ever visit an Indian physician?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: