Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 04:49 PM

352 posts, read 779,428 times

Advertisements

I wish they would implement this plastic bag ban in the city of houston and its suburbs. This city is a dump and very wasteful. No one cares to clean this city up. Just put businesses anywhere they can find a spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 07:06 PM

574 posts, read 1,479,888 times
Fiesta got smart and came up with a way to charge more than a nickel. They have a better quality plastic bag and are charging 20 cents for it...if you get the paper bags they charge 10 cents. And the JoAnn store on Mockingbird (at least today) wasn't even offering to put your stuff in any type of bag...people were walking out with their items in their hands.

Thanks to the ban I am having fun sewing lined washable tote bags to keep in my car in addition to the assortment of store bags I already have. Can't wait to find out how many reusable bags I will need at Kroger when I do my big grocery run!

Old 01-03-2015, 08:11 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,328,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
Fiesta got smart and came up with a way to charge more than a nickel. They have a better quality plastic bag and are charging 20 cents for it...if you get the paper bags they charge 10 cents. And the JoAnn store on Mockingbird (at least today) wasn't even offering to put your stuff in any type of bag...people were walking out with their items in their hands.

Thanks to the ban I am having fun sewing lined washable tote bags to keep in my car in addition to the assortment of store bags I already have. Can't wait to find out how many reusable bags I will need at Kroger when I do my big grocery run!
My Kroger's at Belt Line & Coit. In Richardson. Free plastic bags everywhere. But I still use my own.

I kind of wish I knew how to sew so I could make some kick-butt bags of my own.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:44 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,301,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
This has nothing to do with infringing on business. Its a consumer issue. If anything it helps the stores because they don't have to buy as many plastic bags and will make more revenue on the sale of the reusable ones. The 5 cent fee is pass through and has no financial impact to them.

As far as the government "banning" something damaging to the populous we do this all the time. It's the same reason you can't dump motor oil in your back yard, throw trash on the highway, put DTD on crops, etc. If something causes more harm then benefit to community, then civilized society says lets prevent that for the good of the people. In our system its done through our elected officials. Have you ever been to a 3rd world country that does not do this? Lots of "freedom" to do whatever you want along with trash pilled up on city streets, contaminated drinking water, and general unhealthiness and filth. I guarantee you wouldn't want to live there.

There are already laws in place for the conduct that you describe. We have anti-litter laws. I don't litter and I don't care if they want to raise the fine to several hundred dollars (like in Europe) for people that do litter. But, for the vast majority of the citizens of Dallas, that obey the laws, don't punish us.

As for helping business, I am laughing at the comment. You think it helps Neiman Marcus and the other stores at Northpark that they have to charge their customers for bags (my wife was charged at Neimans yesterday)? You think it helps Eatzis (who charged me yesterday)? Yes, they might make a nominal amount of money, but they are certainly not in favor of the ban and it does not help the customer experience. Are you going to walk around Northpark with your reusable bags? What does that do to Northpark Security (if people decide to walk around the with goods rather than carry bags)?

Old 01-04-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My Kroger's at Belt Line & Coit. In Richardson. Free plastic bags everywhere. But I still use my own.

I kind of wish I knew how to sew so I could make some kick-butt bags of my own.
Free plastic bags at the Tom Thumb in Snyder Plaza. (good ol park cities). If Tom Thumb was really in favor of the charge, they would charge all of their customers.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:32 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,469,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Free plastic bags at the Tom Thumb in Snyder Plaza. (good ol park cities). If Tom Thumb was really in favor of the charge, they would charge all of their customers.
The one at Inwood and University is charging. Maybe since UP is it's own township it doesn't have to follow the ordinance?

Old 01-04-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
The one at Inwood and University is charging. Maybe since UP is it's own township it doesn't have to follow the ordinance?
Yes. Besides the principle of the matter, there is an economic impact to the citizens. If the average person uses 10 bags a week at the grocery store, the people living in Dallas will pay an extra $26.00 a year for groceries compared to their park cities counterparts (if they don't recycle).

No matter what, unless you are the most diligent person around, and not even discussing groceries, we are all having our taxes go up since retail establishments (malls, Home Depot, bakeries, etc) are going to start charging us.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:12 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,470,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Yes. Besides the principle of the matter, there is an economic impact to the citizens. If the average person uses 10 bags a week at the grocery store, the people living in Dallas will pay an extra $26.00 a year for groceries compared to their park cities counterparts (if they don't recycle).

No matter what, unless you are the most diligent person around, and not even discussing groceries, we are all having our taxes go up since retail establishments (malls, Home Depot, bakeries, etc) are going to start charging us.
I'm still working out the kinks in my shopping procedures. Most of my shopping is groceries/basic household goods. Since buying the reusable bags a few weeks ago, I have not had to spend any money on bagging. But it has real impact on my shopping process.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:50 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,569,932 times
You get used to bringing in your bags very VERY quickly. When I moved to SoCal a few years back I kept going back to the trunk of my car every time for the first month. Now I don't even think about it. It's just part of the routine to keep a bag stuffed with reusables in my trunk. Whenever we visit Arizona or Nevada, I get all happy to get free plastic bags which any pet owner knows are very good.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:08 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,328,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
You get used to bringing in your bags very VERY quickly. When I moved to SoCal a few years back I kept going back to the trunk of my car every time for the first month. Now I don't even think about it. It's just part of the routine to keep a bag stuffed with reusables in my trunk. Whenever we visit Arizona or Nevada, I get all happy to get free plastic bags which any pet owner knows are very good.
I'm a pet owner and I don't use plastic shopping bags on my dog's leavings. One fingerful of dog poop earned via a tear in the bag (that I hadn't noticed) was enough to switch me to using special black poo bags. Worth it to not have to walk around with a poopy finger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas