Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 08:31 AM

25 posts, read 47,821 times

Advertisements

I just saw this..some parents in Frisco are upset that the new high school on Ohio Dr will be called "Lebanon High School" and are calling for the name to be changed.

Parents Question Name of New Frisco High School | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

I saw the video and WOW, this makes me SO sad. This is actually a really big deal to people? (And, do people not know local history??) I really hope this represents a tiny ignorant few and is not representative of Frisco ISD in general? Or would be there be less of these sorts of ignorant people in say, Plano ISD?? As a parent of two minority kids who will start public school soon, this is so disheartening to read. I thought this was 2015....

Old 01-18-2015, 08:47 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,067 times
I think public buildings should be named after the street upon which the location draws its address, or the nearest major throughfare. If it's on Jack Rabbit Road then call it 'Jack Rabbit High School'. If it's on Lebanon Road then call it 'Lebanaon High School'.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:49 AM

179 posts, read 284,869 times
Goodness gracious, this type of ignorance is so frustrating. Not just racial ignorance, but ignorance on the history of Frisco. Perhaps they should ask to change the name of the road too? FYI, at least the FB comments at the bottom of the link you shared seem to agree with you.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:34 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Frisco changed the name of J*P Road a few years back. Guess that wasn't PC.

Even CD doesn't let me use the short name for Japanese.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:51 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Frisco changed the name of J*P Road a few years back. Guess that wasn't PC.

Even CD doesn't let me use the short name for Japanese.
That acronym also stands for Jewish American Princess.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:58 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I heard about this on the local news a few days ago, I thought it was hilarious. Such a first-world problem. I'm sure Lebanon High School (or whatever they end up calling it) will be a plush palace compared to crumbling public schools in inner cities across America, not to mention the Dickensian conditions in schools in third-world countries.

And they're complaining about its NAME.

Idiots.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:11 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmonova View Post
Goodness gracious, this type of ignorance is so frustrating. Not just racial ignorance, but ignorance on the history of Frisco. Perhaps they should ask to change the name of the road too? FYI, at least the FB comments at the bottom of the link you shared seem to agree with you.
How is this for a differing viewpoint. If I was Jewish I would not want my kids to go to Lebanon High School. That is an area of the world where a large percentage of the population wants to inflict pain on Israel. Likewise, if I was middle eastern, I would not want to attend Israel High School.

Might be sad, but it is the world we live in.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:45 AM

179 posts, read 284,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
How is this for a differing viewpoint. If I was Jewish I would not want my kids to go to Lebanon High School. That is an area of the world where a large percentage of the population wants to inflict pain on Israel. Likewise, if I was middle eastern, I would not want to attend Israel High School.

Might be sad, but it is the world we live in.
I can appreciate your viewpoint. After thinking about this a bit, perhaps a public school isn't the best place for such a name to be had... but I do believe that curing the world of racism and prejudice is often best served with a healthy dose of education.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:54 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
That's why they just name every high school in Texas after some southern Civil War general. It's easier that way.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:04 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,535 times
It's stuff like this that really makes you want to smack your head. I guess they think Roach Middle School is named after the insect, too.

While Lebanon is not predominantly Christian, it does have a significant percentage of its population that are Christian. And I would guess that Christians make up a majority of the Lebanese diaspora. So naming the school after that country isn't exactly tantamount to inviting sharia law into Frisco.

Perhaps the school board should consider naming it Lebanon Ranch High School. After all, ranches are very Texan. Or they could name it Rick Perry High School ("We teach the 3 R's - Reading, Righting and... Oops!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas