Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 09:40 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,002,759 times

Advertisements

Dallas is almost always muggy from sundown until mid-morning and then it dries out a bit. Probably one of the few places where you experience both muggy and "dry" heat in the same day without any weather systems moving through the area. Unlike other coastal areas in the south and east coast, Dallas gets humidity without rain. Kind of the worst of both worlds....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 12:35 PM

3,169 posts, read 2,057,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
If it's correct it's correct. Perceived weather conditions and actual weather conditions are often two different things.

To me it simply doesn't make sense to claim that Dallas is a completely different animal from New York or Houston only because it's more likely to have days over 95 degrees and thus have lower relative humidity.

I've experienced several summers in Dallas and "dry" is not a word I would use to describe either of them.
I agree - I've lived in Houston, Dallas, DC, Los Angeles, and Austin. The only one of those cities that I'd call dry in any shape or form is LA.

Dallas, Houston, and Austin are all about on the same level during the summer in practical terms. Yes there will be some days in Dallas that are a bit drier than the other two cities, but all three are pretty humid from where I stand, Houston being the most consistently humid.

Either way, if you're not used to it, any of the cities will be a bit of a challenge.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:22 PM

4,233 posts, read 6,913,427 times
I've been here a year and a half after living up and down the east coast my whole life. Last year and this year have both been very statistically average summers for Dallas. So, while it doesn't represent the extreme, it has been a decent representation.

In my opinion, the heat here is very bearable. It's hot - noticeably warmer than SC where I was prior to this most recently - but not really terrible. And while definitely not 'dry' it's noticeably less humid in the afternoons than places i've lived on the east coast. And on the flip side, for the few months out of the year it is hot, the rest of the year has extremely pleasant temperatures. Honestly it's probably my favorite year-round climate I've lived in so far.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:24 PM

6,697 posts, read 9,954,100 times
Dallas summers are brutal. Some people can handle it better than others but for the most part...many native Texas (including me) would rather have much cooler temps during the summer.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:36 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,392,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I have a bonafide job offer in Dallas, but I just want to know how the summers are there.

I have heard the temps are 100+ from June to September. Is this true?

Is it humid or dry heat?
it is not triple digits every day in the summer.The summers are hot and humid.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:27 PM

this map is always useful when talking US climates on a high level. It groups regions by statistical weather data into similar zoned "climate regions":

Old 07-31-2017, 03:30 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
it is not triple digits every day in the summer.The summers are hot and humid.
They will be starting in...........one week! They started already (later than usual) and this week we're getting an unusual cold front. I need to find a jacket,,,,,86 on Wednesday!

Old 07-31-2017, 03:45 PM

People ask a lot of questions about weather for cities they are considering moving to that are easily solvable (and much more accurately solvable) by looking at historical weather data available online. In a case like weather, simple data is actually a better predictor than people. People perceive weather differently but statistical climate data tells you what you really need to know.

You will talk to people who live here who will swear up and down that a normal temperature for Dallas in July/Aug is triple digits. Then you can look at weather data from multiple sources (NOAA, ASHRAE, air force weather data etc.) and see that's just not true except for isolated stretches here and there in an average year.

An example: I just looked at 4 different sources that show the Dallas, TX average daily high in July is 95.6-96 F depending on where the data comes from (average is also right at 96F for August). So many people talked about how mild last summer was: the average July high was 97.6. This year people are talking about how hot it is: the average July high is 96.0. And notice none of these numbers are triple digits. Weather is one area where going straight to the source is more accurate than asking for personal opinion. People perceive temperatures differently for various reasons.

Last edited by Sunbather; 07-31-2017 at 03:59 PM..

Old 07-31-2017, 04:07 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,410,278 times
Quote:
You will talk to people who live here who will swear up and down that a normal temperature for Dallas in July/Aug is triple digits
Because they are correct. The normal air temperature + humidity adjusted temperature for Dallas is triple digits and is from mid to end of June to mid September. If you want to be pedantic and say that the air temperature alone isn't triple digits because its 97-99F then fine but those of us who spend time outside count the humidity too, because it makes a huge difference, and it's why today and yesterday night and most of this week are going to be pretty comfortable even though the temp is 92-95F today. Lower vs higher humidity matters.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:02 PM

455 posts, read 578,998 times
The hot weather never really bugged me too much, it was the electric bill that did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas