Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 10:03 PM

287 posts, read 768,897 times

Advertisements

We are interviewing for a job in Denton. We've always like the idea of a lake home and have found a few available but I'm wondering if people actually swim in that green water. What makes it so green? How are the mosquitoes near the lakes?

Also is the Dallas or the Fort Worth forum more appropriate for questions about Denton?

If we get the job and move there we would aim for either a lake home or possibly some acreage in the Argyle school district. I found a home for sale on several acres of wooded property. Is that a bad idea when considering snakes and bugs? I'm not fond of either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 10:26 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,894,836 times
You can swim in the lakes near Lewisville and Denton, but it's personally not my cup of tea because the water's murky and pretty skanky and you'll feel like you're covered in slime and grit when you get out. Some of the lakes are also overcrowded with rowdy, drunk boaters as well. Not worth the hassle imho.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:16 PM

891 posts, read 1,053,890 times
Ft. Worth is technically closer to Denton by a couple miles, but the Dallas forum is more popular, so Id definitely say Dallas will help you out better than the Ft.Worth forum.....

As for the lakes, when I was younger I couldnt stand the nasty lakes, I always said, "who wants to swim around in fish, bird, turtle and human urine and poo?" lol...I was all about chlorine pools and Wet N Wild/Hurricane Harbor....but nowadays I love the lake, where you can boat, camp, chill in a cove all day long drinkin beer and listenin to music......I still dont necessarily like swimmin around in what is virtually a cesspool, but hey, a chlorine pool aint much better after humans **** in it all day....and even the most so called "pristine" lakes and oceans elsewhere have the same fish,bird,reptile and human excrements in it........

Honestly the only thing I "worry" about when swimming in Lakes Lewisville, Grapevine or Ray Roberts, is one of those random gators chompin down on my leg....and I dont actually worry about it all, cause I know the odds are slim and none....

Old 06-13-2016, 06:51 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I don't like the "lakes" around here because they're fake and I think they're dirty. I've gone swimming and tubing in natural bodies of water in Texas and never came out dirty and smelling like algae like I did when I swam in north Texas lakes.

YMMV.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:39 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't like the "lakes" around here because they're fake and I think they're dirty. I've gone swimming and tubing in natural bodies of water in Texas and never came out dirty and smelling like algae like I did when I swam in north Texas lakes.

YMMV.
What "natural" body of water did you swim in Texas? There is only one.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:44 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
What "natural" body of water did you swim in Texas? There is only one.
I think you're forgetting about Texas's many rivers.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:27 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
When I was a kid I swam in Lake Lewisville, the water wasn't as dirty back then (30 years ago.) But now, I'd pass.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:31 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think you're forgetting about Texas's many rivers.
I agree with your statement, I just wouldn't have called a river a "body of water" so I was wondering what you were talking about. Many rivers in Texas are fine. But even the lakes down by Austin (Austin/Travis/LBJ) seem pretty gross to me. Better for boating than swimming.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:26 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
Is that a bad idea when considering snakes and bugs?
If you do not like snakes, bugs and wildlife, then no you should probably not buy a home fronting a lake. The lakes are greenish because there is a lot of organic material in them since they have mud bottoms and since 2 solid years of outrageous flooding have stirred them up. This is actually pretty common - the number of clear blue lakes in the US is pretty small.

Argyle is near Lake Lewisville, which has a few public swimmable areas, but swimming is generally not recommended in lakes without life saving devices not because the water is gross but because lakes have unstable currents, basically like ocean riptides all the time, which makes them dangerous for novices to swim in.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:01 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,792 times
I grew up on Lake of the Ozarks so lake swimming doesn't bother me at all. That said, during the half ironman over in Rockwall, we had to go through a layers of fuel, oil and mud so now I check out the flight schedules first when feeling the urge to hit the water.

Be sure to check out the depth maps carefully when looking at waterfront homes right now. We've had a lot of rain so they are all at ideal conditions. Droughts are increasingly common making some of those lakefront lots fields of mud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas