Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 01:57 PM

573 posts, read 336,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
LOL, 600K mostly Americans? You ever been to any of the Amazon distribution centers. they run overnight shifts too. But hey, at least they speak english. And they got people with foreign documents/licenses delivering with fake temporary tags in cars breaking down. You can see it at their huge center in Garland.

Some of them don't speak english, or read. I requested them to place my package inside my side fence.. but no, just left it there in front of my door. Sheesh.. I know them foreigners can read english, probably better than some americans..

but yeah, they do put lot of people to work.
The Chinese railroad workers in the 1800's - many did not speak or read English and 600 died building some railroad lines. But hey, you do you and keep ordering from Amazon!

This thread and the confederate memorial thread just keeps showing who are ok with other races, and who are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 02:52 PM

427 posts, read 495,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
Not I. I'm in a growing field, and for every immigrant we hire, we hire 100 US citizens.

600,000 employees at Amazon, about 2000 immigrants hired last year. That's less than .5% of their total work force. Any proof that the 2000 hired were to replace us citizens?
Wow - this is the attitude responsible for current sad state of affairs in the country. So, if your job is safe then it is OK for a large number of other Americans to lose jobs to people from 3rd world countries like India and who are less skilled, can't speak or write even better English but got the job because of outsourcing companies or greedy companies or because their relative or friend is in the company?

It's not just about your company. AND don't take % from the overall employees, like some one said it includes thousands of temporary and low paying jobs. Take the % in IT department and then speak. Or for that matter IT department of ANY big company in corporate America. Very few are talented and vast majority of the remaining crowd got the jobs through one of the above means. All BA, Tester, QA, PM, developer, IT lead etc. etc. positions in ALL IT departments are being filled with these people. If a company has any opening, they doesn't even post/fill outside (not even through American consulting companies), but bring in people through big outsourcing companies or through other means. Go and check it out and come back with facts. It's not racism. We can always welcome talented foreigners who love to come to America and love the country. But not open the flood gates and let them do whatever they want at the cost of citizens.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 03-01-2019 at 03:52 PM..

Old 03-01-2019, 04:40 PM

573 posts, read 336,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
Wow - this is the attitude responsible for current sad state of affairs in the country. So, if your job is safe then it is OK for a large number of other Americans to lose jobs to people from 3rd world countries like India and who are less skilled, can't speak or write even better English but got the job because of outsourcing companies or greedy companies or because their relative or friend is in the company?

It's not just about your company. AND don't take % from the overall employees, like some one said it includes thousands of temporary and low paying jobs. Take the % in IT department and then speak. Or for that matter IT department of ANY big company in corporate America. Very few are talented and vast majority of the remaining crowd got the jobs through one of the above means. All BA, Tester, QA, PM, developer, IT lead etc. etc. positions in ALL IT departments are being filled with these people. If a company has any opening, they doesn't even post/fill outside (not even through American consulting companies), but bring in people through big outsourcing companies or through other means. Go and check it out and come back with facts. It's not racism. We can always welcome talented foreigners who love to come to America and love the country. But not open the flood gates and let them do whatever they want at the cost of citizens.

Ok, sure. I congratulate you on showing your knowledge with your post about Amazon H1B workers and their lack of skills, intelligence, low pay, speaking, and writing. 2000 is opening floodgates? Ok.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/...139000-in-pay/

ALL IT positions? wow. I'm glad that's an established fact throughout every company in the US

Old 03-03-2019, 09:12 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,085,453 times
This thread is funny.

If H1Bs become too expensive or time-consuming corporations will (and already are) simply go back to the old standby of Offshoring. They will shutter entire buildings stateside and move those jobs to Mumbai, Manila, Bangalore and other points east. It’s very easy to do in today’s digitized world and many IT and Operations jobs do not require a physical presence to complete. More and more jobs are getting automated and maintenance of these automated tasks are handled mostly by these individuals. They don’t have to do it here. It’s cheaper if they do it there. Capitalism 101. Whatever it takes to stay competitive.

So let’s not kid ourselves. I decline in H1B visas will not create an increase in those jobs for locals.

ETA: Amazon has been working on(and now has) operational robots doing ‘picker’ jobs in their warehouses for a while now. The goal is for that to become fully automated. So... those fulfillment jobs aren’t here to stay either. Yay 2 day shipping!

Old 03-04-2019, 12:55 AM

468 posts, read 476,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
This thread is funny.

If H1Bs become too expensive or time-consuming corporations will (and already are) simply go back to the old standby of Offshoring. They will shutter entire buildings stateside and move those jobs to Mumbai, Manila, Bangalore and other points east. It’s very easy to do in today’s digitized world and many IT and Operations jobs do not require a physical presence to complete. More and more jobs are getting automated and maintenance of these automated tasks are handled mostly by these individuals. They don’t have to do it here. It’s cheaper if they do it there. Capitalism 101. Whatever it takes to stay competitive.

So let’s not kid ourselves. I decline in H1B visas will not create an increase in those jobs for locals.

ETA: Amazon has been working on(and now has) operational robots doing ‘picker’ jobs in their warehouses for a while now. The goal is for that to become fully automated. So... those fulfillment jobs aren’t here to stay either. Yay 2 day shipping!
Yeah, they got a special area cornered off in one of the huge coppel warehouses that got robots wheeling around picking and they also have one huge robotic arm picking. they run 24/7. there's actually a team that works with the huge arm.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:22 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,556,757 times
I’m not exactly sure how we ended up here but....

Long story short Dallas isn’t getting Amazon HQ1.5, and that's fine.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:13 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
I’m not exactly sure how we ended up here but....

Long story short Dallas isn’t getting Amazon HQ1.5, and that's fine.
I'm more than fine with this as well.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:57 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
First off I hope you realize I was joking about the MAGA hats.
Second though, you do realize that Trump is actually doing something that helps your case that you complain about constantly? If you saw the article I linked to, he is apparently taking aim at the H1B and the dependent visas that go along with it. Isnt that what you wanted?

Third, like I said before, yes, the IT department at Amazon and probably many other companies is going to be heavily H1B dependent, but most of the other departments like Legal, Accounting, Logistics, Marketing and Supply Chain are probably not. Since Amazon is not an IT company like say Microsoft then I would reckon that the vast majority of those 25,000 HQ jobs are not going to be filled by Indians, but rather Americans instead.

Lastly, I think there is a fairly easy way to please both the H1B critics and supporters. If I was president, I would keep the H1B visa, heck even increase the pool of available spots. but I would also require that the minimum salaries paid to these visa holders be no less than $200K per year. If Bill Gates is screaming that he desperately needs these people to fill jobs that no Americans will, then he shouldn't have any qualms about paying top dollar for them. And indeed, if this visa is for the cream of the crop like say the next Albert Einstein, then they are probably worth the money.

However, I suspect that faced with these increased costs, most American employers will all of a sudden magically find Americans who indeed CAN do the job.

This way, the H1Bs regain their initial purpose, bringing in only the best and brightest, and not run of the mill IT professionals. And at the same token, let Americans get back into fields that they have been under cut out off. Everyone wins.
I love how Trumpsters and Republicans preach the virtues of our ultra capitalist, competitive society yet complain about H1B's. The irony is deliciously rich.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I love how Trumpsters and Republicans preach the virtues of our ultra capitalist, competitive society yet complain about H1B's. The irony is deliciously rich.
Who's a Republican?

Old 03-09-2019, 12:23 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Who's a Republican?
I'm not referring to you. You have legitimate concerns. It's towards those that love to preach the Republican mantra of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and that your problems are 100% your problrms. With that logic in my mind, H1B's should be 0 issue. You should improve yourself to compete against them according to Repub ideology. But they're too ignorant and stupid to recognize the hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas