Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North Texas, what kind of fall do you think we’ll have this season?
Above normal 17 28.33%
Below normal 23 38.33%
Average 20 33.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 10:22 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,075,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
Hooray! I had no idea my electric bill would be so high here in TX. It has been in the mid $400 range and we were worried something was wrong with the house or AC but the electric co. said that's normal in TX with the hot temps we have had through Aug-early Sept. Some our guests were cranking up the AC and said they can't sleep unless it is freezing so that didn't help. I'm looking forward to hopefully getting that sucker down into the $200's! We have our windows open tonight. My husband is still convinced something is amiss and he's calling the electric co tomorrow to figure out what is going on with these high electric bills.
Well so much depends on your specific house. The highest bill we have had was $300.

Do you have any two story spaces? (We have basically a one story with 12 foot ceilings, but no double height ceilings).
How much is your house shaded?
How well is your attic insulated? (We have spray foam insulation).
Are you running a pool pump?
Are you subscribed to energy ogre?
Do you have and use ceiling fans everywhere? If not, install them ASAP. We have them in every room except the dining room and smaller baths.
What kind of windows do you have?

ETA: we are over 4,000 SF

Quote:
How much is it per year? I took a pass on Mosquito Squad because they wanted to charge me $600 from August through October versus prorating it...it was for the whole season.
We have MS and we pay every three weeks. Sounds like MA might be cheaper. Call around next spring.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 10-11-2018 at 10:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 10:49 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,268,151 times
Quote:
Hooray! I had no idea my electric bill would be so high here in TX. It has been in the mid $400 range and we were worried something was wrong with the house or AC but the electric co. said that's normal in TX with the hot temps we have had through Aug-early Sept. Some our guests were cranking up the AC and said they can't sleep unless it is freezing so that didn't help. I'm looking forward to hopefully getting that sucker down into the $200's! We have our windows open tonight. My husband is still convinced something is amiss and he's calling the electric co tomorrow to figure out what is going on with these high electric bills.
Holy cow that is high, but not unbelievable.

The highest we got this year was August which ran about $200. The lowest was last Jan when we kept it under $60. Granted, Gas kicked up to just under $100 during that time as well.

Our rental house only has mediocre insulation, but our windows are new. It's also only like 1200sf or something, so if you are 3000sf or something 400 isn't unbelievable at all.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:17 AM

6,697 posts, read 9,952,165 times
Monday’s high is getting even colder. The high temp will be 50 degrees with rain. Winds will be blowing 10 to 20 mph. It’s shaping up to be a raw day.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:21 AM

937 posts, read 744,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Well so much depends on your specific house. The highest bill we have had was $300.

Do you have any two story spaces? (We have basically a one story with 12 foot ceilings, but no double height ceilings).
How much is your house shaded?
How well is your attic insulated? (We have spray foam insulation).
Are you running a pool pump?
Are you subscribed to energy ogre?
Do you have and use ceiling fans everywhere? If not, install them ASAP. We have them in every room except the dining room and smaller baths.
What kind of windows do you have?

ETA: we are over 4,000 SF

We have MS and we pay every three weeks. Sounds like MA might be cheaper. Call around next spring.
We have a two story with high ceilings but no double height, @ 3200 sq ft, well insulated attic, fans throughout, and the windows look to be of good quality and high end. Yes, to the pool pump and running it about 8 hours a day. I turn the AC down to 71 at night and then back up to 76 all day. We do get a good bit of shade as well. The electric co. lady said our bill looked about right for the size of the house and said something about how Texas ACs are only designed to only go 20 degrees below whatever the outside temp is so we were overworking out units. I don't know why she said "Texas ACs"...I thought that was all ACs.

Windows open today and it feels amazing!!

Old 10-12-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Monday’s high is getting even colder. The high temp will be 50 degrees with rain. Winds will be blowing 10 to 20 mph. It’s shaping up to be a raw day.
I can't wait! I love that kind of weather !

Old 10-12-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Holy cow that is high, but not unbelievable.

The highest we got this year was August which ran about $200. The lowest was last Jan when we kept it under $60. Granted, Gas kicked up to just under $100 during that time as well.

Our rental house only has mediocre insulation, but our windows are new. It's also only like 1200sf or something, so if you are 3000sf or something 400 isn't unbelievable at all.
Oh okay, the numbers sound about right then if my place is @ 3200 sq ft. The electric co lady said it was about right for the heat we were having. I'm going to have to crack down on some of these guests who insist on setting the upstairs AC to 68 when they are sleeping.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
I can't wait! I love that kind of weather !
You and me both - I am ready!

I love cold, rainy days but that's because they are rare. I wouldn't want to deal with cold, icy rain and driving winds for weeks or months on end.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:54 AM

533 posts, read 643,319 times
Quote:
Oh okay, the numbers sound about right then if my place is @ 3200 sq ft. The electric co lady said it was about right for the heat we were having. I'm going to have to crack down on some of these guests who insist on setting the upstairs AC to 68 when they are sleeping.

Honestly, it still seems high to me. What is your per KWH rate? Switching around your electric company to find the best rate can make a significant difference in the monthly bill.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:56 AM

533 posts, read 643,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You and me both - I am ready!

I love cold, rainy days but that's because they are rare. I wouldn't want to deal with cold, icy rain and driving winds for weeks or months on end.

I am the odd one here. I am dreading the cold and rainy days ahead! I'd take the heat any day

Old 10-12-2018, 03:32 PM

6,697 posts, read 9,952,165 times
Now, Monday’s high is 48 (with windchills in the 30s)!! Over 30 degrees below normal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas