Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 10:03 PM

487 posts, read 469,744 times

Advertisements

Run Run Run unless you want to buy a problem and pay $ $ $. Try to find a pier and beam with access to plumbing. IMO plumbing in slabs with very expansive soils can be a Big Problem. Our soil report came back and strongly recommended a pier and beam, that is what we built. The crawl space, is also great for a Tornado shelter.

Last edited by EcoDeb; 07-15-2019 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 10:25 PM

403 posts, read 274,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aljka View Post
It was found during inspection. Water meter is still moving when all water is shut off. They called plumber to locate the leak and plumber could not "because it is too small"
Sprinkler system, toilet flappers, water heater refilling.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:29 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,258,699 times
I definitely would pass on that home. You might get lucky, the leak gets worse and they figure out it's near an exterior wall or something and doesn't cost much to fix.

Or, you could be like a friend of mine who had a leak directly in the middle of her living room in the middle of the house, and they had to break up a huge portion of her hardwood floors, jackhammer through the slab and then break up the floor in a line going to an exterior wall, as they needed to reroute the line for some reason. I believe the cost for her was $12k.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:25 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,373,610 times
Well, my understanding is that current code forbids pipe joints under the slab, that all joints have to be brought up above the slab. So if code were followed, leaks under the slab should be quite rare.

As for the specific house, you should run away unless you can get a huge reduction in price. (You can contemplate, for example, that the hardwood floor or expensive ceramic tile has to be chiseled up, then a huge hole jackhammered into your slab, the problem fixed, then paying to restore it as best as possible, and then hold your breath and hope that it was just a small leak for a short time and you're not going to have foundation issues in that area after a year or two.)

But good luck finding a pier and beam house anywhere in DFW built after 1970.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:14 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,900,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aljka View Post
Did your home insurance cover?
No. It was deemed to be due to shifting soils.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:06 AM

382 posts, read 422,727 times
My house was built in 1990. I had a fairly severe slab leak several years ago. Like someone else said, my dog started laying in a certain spot, where the warm water was pooling under the foundation.

I didn't want to destroy my hardwoods, so the plumber had to dig a tunnel under the house, in order to get at the leak.

This was fairly expensive.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:42 PM

158 posts, read 181,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoDeb View Post
Try to find a pier and beam with access to plumbing. IMO plumbing in slabs with very expansive soils can be a Big Problem. Our soil report came back and strongly recommended a pier and beam, that is what we built. The crawl space, is also great for a Tornado shelter.
General question: how common are pier and beam foundations in the DFW area?

Old 07-16-2019, 04:59 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,121,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ea0337 View Post
Very common in older homes in certain areas, very rare in newer homes (unless custom built). Overall they are a very small percentage of the housing stock since most of DFW has been developed over the last few decades.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:31 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,465,102 times
When it comes to home buying trust your instincts. If it sounds scary it probably is scary....or it will be scary at some point. You can either roll the dice and possibly pay the price or you can walk and buy one of the other 50,000 homes in DFW that doesn’t have this problem. It would be a no brainer for me.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:30 PM

487 posts, read 469,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ea0337 View Post
They were the "norm" back in the day. Search Ebby.com as they have pier and beam as a search option. Majority of newer pier and beam homes are custom. I know there are some older homes in both McKinney and Denton. GOOD LUCK finding your new home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas