Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 06:26 PM

7 posts, read 10,321 times

Advertisements

Howdy...

We are looking to buy a house in the dallas burbs. We don't have kids yet but plan on having in the near future. Our main criteria is the school district. So far,Coppell ISD stands out with houses in Coppell, Irving, Lewisville. We looked at Castle Hills too ..love the houses but unsure of how good the schools serving the community are/will be ....
We are looking to spend between 250-270K and the houses that fall in Coppell ISD are kinda older, smaller and not as WOW compared to what we would get at Castle Hills. We are also worried that Coppell could probably be a "been and gone" in a few years compared to the "up and coming" Castle Hills.
So... we are looking to get some sound advice from members with regards to the above two communities especially from the school point of view. Also, if there are any other neighborhoods that we should probably consider that are up and coming and fall in our budget.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 06:37 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Coppell will not be a "has been" as long as they continue to have a top-notch school district. The district is the crown jewel of Coppell and has been for 30+ years. I would not worry about the district going down the tubes and as long as the schools are great, there will be a demand for homes and $$$ home prices.....there is a reason the homes you can afford in Coppell are smaller/older than those in Castle Hills!! Coppell's real estate market is one of the hotter ones right now- prices are up and inventory is pretty lean.

It's a better long term real estate buy than CH and a much much better school district.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:51 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHuntingTx View Post
Howdy...

We are looking to buy a house in the dallas burbs. We don't have kids yet but plan on having in the near future. Our main criteria is the school district. So far,Coppell ISD stands out with houses in Coppell, Irving, Lewisville. We looked at Castle Hills too ..love the houses but unsure of how good the schools serving the community are/will be ....
We are looking to spend between 250-270K and the houses that fall in Coppell ISD are kinda older, smaller and not as WOW compared to what we would get at Castle Hills. We are also worried that Coppell could probably be a "been and gone" in a few years compared to the "up and coming" Castle Hills.
So... we are looking to get some sound advice from members with regards to the above two communities especially from the school point of view. Also, if there are any other neighborhoods that we should probably consider that are up and coming and fall in our budget.

Thank you in advance
I agree, tough to beat Coppell..But I would be curious to know where your finding homes in CH in that price range. I have researched that neighborhood heavily and come to the realistic conclusion you can't do much in there for under $325k.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:42 PM

695 posts, read 1,447,570 times
There isn't a lot in CH in that price range, unless you're getting something pretty small in Castle Hills North, which feeds into the newer elementary school. The new school is still an unknown quantity. The LISD overall is a good district, with the vast majority of schools rated Exemplary or Recognized. CHN also has a different feel from the rest of the neighborhood as well.

I do see listings in your price range in Coppell but since I'm not as familiar with the area, it's hard to say how nice they are from the listing.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:53 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
You can get a lot more home for your money in Grapevine, and Grapevine-Colleyville ISD is barely below Coppell in the rankings. Also keep in mind that Coppell has some of the HIGHEST property taxes in Dallas County, while Grapevine has almost the LOWEST in Tarrant County.

Here's a house in your price range in a GREAT Grapevine neighborhood...mine!!
2042 Willowood Dr Grapevine TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11607328 - Realtor.com®

Old 06-08-2011, 09:12 PM

59 posts, read 105,741 times
To OP: I think you're a little off.

CH schools. Castle Hills Elementary is exemplary. Killian Middle School is recognzed and Hebron High School is exemplary. Independence is a question mark for the future. As one of the others indicated, it is just getting started. It's rated "acceptable" but is well below capacity which will likely be filled with new residents from CHN, CHE, CH's The Reserve and a few other high quality Lewisville and Carrollton neighborhoods.

Coppell as "been and gone". Coppell is a great place to live and that's not going to change. It's in a fairly different part of town and it will likely always have an advantage for buyers who need to be closer to the mid-cities, the HEB, Ft. Worth, Grapevine, etc.

It's odd to me that Castle Hills and Coppell end up side by side on this forum so much. I think if you like both, you probably need to explore what's important to you. CH is based around a design philosophy called Traditional Neighborhood Design. The basic idea is lots of small scale retail, some offices, open space and public areas in the center of the neighborhood and lots of parks, greens, etc. spread throughout - all of which are accessible by foot, bike (or increasingly by golf cart). Coppell is more car-oriented in terms of accessing different uses, but it has lots of open space and recreational amenities - with several very large parks and green belts. In a lot of ways, CH and Coppell are simply different methods of providing the same recreational and lifestyle amenities.

I live in CH but if I had to commute to a part of town that was closer to Coppell, I might live there and be as gung ho about it. I think you need to list your priorities and values and consider location and try to come up with some tie breakers because both areas have a lot to offer.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:54 PM

621 posts, read 1,333,211 times
I think Castle Hills is over rated. They use Lewisville PD but they are closer to Carrollton and there are foundation problems out there. I'd go to Frisco before I went there
I looked there in 2009 and decided against it real quick...A lot of $$$ for what to me was not worth it.
In your price range Trophy Club or Roanoke would be nice.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:30 AM

695 posts, read 1,447,570 times
The foundation problems are somewhat overblown. You're going to find foundation issues in most places in this part of Texas. My lawyer has a pier and beam foundation in University Park, and he still has problems.

You do have to look at your own desires and priorities. What works for one family may not work for yours.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:59 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times
Check out Flower Mound and Highland Village if the commute isn't too bad--they have the better half of LISD. LISD is a very mixed bag--some awesome schools and some horrible ones all in the same district.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:03 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse View Post
The foundation problems are somewhat overblown. You're going to find foundation issues in most places in this part of Texas. My lawyer has a pier and beam foundation in University Park, and he still has problems.

You do have to look at your own desires and priorities. What works for one family may not work for yours.
Yeah...for most houses in DFW and foundation problems, it's not "if"...it's "when".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas