Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 10:59 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Dallas has had it's shot at all of these sports teams and blown it. They just don't want to put up the cash.

You think they would build something as nice as the new Ranger Stadium? People won't go hang around Fairpark after a game.

The A's can go to Vegas.
Mavs and Stars play in Dallas. Blame Laura Miller. I think any other mayor would have gotten a deal done with Jerry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 11:06 AM

379 posts, read 366,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Mavs and Stars play in Dallas. Blame Laura Miller. I think any other mayor would have gotten a deal done with Jerry.
Incorrect. Jerry was never going to locate the stadium in a DART city because that would hurt the parking revenue. It's why Arlington had to pledge their sales tax money that is necessary to fund transit if you want it in Texas. Laura Miller is a scapegoat.

Old 06-02-2021, 11:06 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
Yep. NY, LA, and the Bay Area also have two MLB teams in the same market. I don't ever see it happening in DFW, though.
You have to consider how big those other metros are.
NY MSA is like 16 million

LA county alone has 10 million residents. And the Angels still play in O.C. so add another 3 million people which means those two counties are nearly TWICE the size of the DFW MSA. And its the second biggest TV market in America. DFW is 5th, have the size of metro LA/OC.

Chicagoland is 9.2 million

SF Bay area is smaller than DFW per Census but if you add in San Jose 40 miles to the south, its larger, easily 9 million residents. That said, the As play in Oakland and SJ is in a separate county, i.e. not going to help pay for a new stadium.

Once DFW crosses 9 million, I think MLB will really take notice.

Old 06-03-2021, 06:23 PM

153 posts, read 110,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
You have to consider how big those other metros are.
NY MSA is like 16 million

LA county alone has 10 million residents. And the Angels still play in O.C. so add another 3 million people which means those two counties are nearly TWICE the size of the DFW MSA. And its the second biggest TV market in America. DFW is 5th, have the size of metro LA/OC.

Chicagoland is 9.2 million

SF Bay area is smaller than DFW per Census but if you add in San Jose 40 miles to the south, its larger, easily 9 million residents. That said, the As play in Oakland and SJ is in a separate county, i.e. not going to help pay for a new stadium.

Once DFW crosses 9 million, I think MLB will really take notice.
And if it happens, I bet it would be in the northern Dallas burbs. Lol

Old 06-03-2021, 07:24 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
And if it happens, I bet it would be in the northern Dallas burbs. Lol
Yep, convert that Frisco stadium into something big.

On the Golden mile with Jerry's Billion $$ empire and the new PGA headquarters.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:13 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post
Uhhh.....not really.

Baltimore and DC share an airport (just like two other cities I can think of) and the Orioles play 32 miles away from the Nationals.

There is nothing but suburbs in between Baltimore and DC just like Dallas and Ft Worth.
Yes really.

BWI to downtown Baltimore are 10 miles apart. BWI to downtown DC are 33 miles apart. When you look at the itinerary, you will usually see Baltimore, MD. They really do not share that airport. BWI is in Baltimore MSA, not Washington MSA. Washington MSA has National and Dulles airport. Washington is in the name of BWI for marketing purposes only to attract those in PG and Montgomery County. That's only because Dulles was to far. But you are indeed leaving DC area to Baltimore area to fly out if you're going to BWI.

The Orioles are still Baltimores team. It is not Baltimore and Washingtons team.

Bottom line is Baltimore and Washington isn't one metro. Dallas and Fort Worth is.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:36 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes really.

BWI to downtown Baltimore are 10 miles apart. BWI to downtown DC are 33 miles apart. When you look at the itinerary, you will usually see Baltimore, MD. They really do not share that airport. BWI is in Baltimore MSA, not Washington MSA. Washington MSA has National and Dulles airport. Washington is in the name of BWI for marketing purposes only to attract those in PG and Montgomery County. That's only because Dulles was to far. But you are indeed leaving DC area to Baltimore area to fly out if you're going to BWI.

The Orioles are still Baltimores team. It is not Baltimore and Washingtons team.

Bottom line is Baltimore and Washington isn't one metro. Dallas and Fort Worth is.
All of that is right on. However, before The Nationals The Orioles were DC's team in part. Recall the Montreal Expos became The Nationals in '05 (might have been '06). Before that all sorts of DC types used to make the oft hellish drive to catch a few O's games per month/year....I used to do some work for a PE firm out of DC we had at least a dozen season tickets to O's games.

Old 06-04-2021, 04:37 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
All of that is right on. However, before The Nationals The Orioles were DC's team in part. Recall the Montreal Expos became The Nationals in '05 (might have been '06). Before that all sorts of DC types used to make the oft hellish drive to catch a few O's games per month/year....I used to do some work for a PE firm out of DC we had at least a dozen season tickets to O's games.
Oh yeah no doubt. There are still lots of Oriole fans in DC just like they are lots of Washington fans in Baltimore. For a while, Baltimore only had the Orioles and it's hard to believe a metro like Washington only had three teams. Also yeah, it was 05. I remember when they played at RFK. Baltimore owner didn't want the Nats in Washington.

Old 06-04-2021, 05:33 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Oh yeah no doubt. There are still lots of Oriole fans in DC just like they are lots of Washington fans in Baltimore. For a while, Baltimore only had the Orioles and it's hard to believe a metro like Washington only had three teams. Also yeah, it was 05. I remember when they played at RFK. Baltimore owner didn't want the Nats in Washington.
Along those lines do you recall The Rockies playing for a season - maybe two in Mile High Stadium? I froze my arse off watching The Rockies play The Phillies there in '94?

Old 06-06-2021, 09:09 AM

223 posts, read 141,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
The Astros have won three pennants in their entire history. The Rangers have won two. I really don't see how the Astros of late are any different than the Rangers of 2010-2011. Neither are consistent winners. I get the impression you weren't around or weren't old enough to remember the Rangers run ten years ago.

You seem to be arguing that DFW as a whole is not a baseball place, but Dallas proper is. That's nonsense. It isn't like baseball fandom starts downtown and ends at the Plano border. The Mavs playoff atmosphere may have been great, but the atmosphere at Rangers games during 2010-2011 was, too. It's the playoffs. Of course it's great. Fair weather fans show up for fair weather. That doesn't mean Dallas proper would produce anything more than the fair weather fans the Rangers have produced.

You can't compare these sorts of teams to teams like the Phillies or the Braves or Cubs or Cardinals; those teams have all been around since the 1880s or 1890s. They have followings in their cities that are more than a century old -- it goes much deeper than "the team is located downtown." The Cardinals could move to Illinois and still sell 40,000 tickets per game. Hell, half the people at the most games drove in from several hours away. You think Cardinals fans live in downtown St. Louis? No way. The connection to the team is much deeper than wherever the present stadium is located.
Quote:
The Astros have won three pennants in their entire history. The Rangers have won two. I really don't see how the Astros of late are any different than the Rangers of 2010-2011. Neither are consistent winners. I get the impression you weren't around or weren't old enough to remember the Rangers run ten years ago.
Oh okay...Im not old enough.....even though the first Rangers game I ever attended was in 1986.

What is that....35 years? How old are you since you are obviously such a sage?

again.......my point is totally going over your head because you are not that bright.

Everyone else is at least making cognizant arguments, and your two posts on this thread are beyond stupid.

I'm not talking about Win/Loss record. I'm talking about a franchises relationship with its city.

People In Houston LOVE the Houston Astros...even when they were losing.
Dallas has never had that sort of relationship with the Texas Rangers.

The second part of your post implies that things don't change, or that they can't be changed because that's what was done in the past.

Things change in life all the time. Up until 2021 the Rangers played outdoors.

20 years from now people will not believe that the Rangers spent nearly 50 years playing in by far the hottest weather in the major leagues.

Quote:
You seem to be arguing that DFW as a whole is not a baseball place, but Dallas proper is. That's nonsense. It isn't like baseball fandom starts downtown and ends at the Plano border. The Mavs playoff atmosphere may have been great, but the atmosphere at Rangers games during 2010-2011 was, too. It's the playoffs. Of course it's great. Fair weather fans show up for fair weather. That doesn't mean Dallas proper would produce anything more than the fair weather fans the Rangers have produced
The Ranger would have been better off building their stadium in downtown FT Worth or Dallas. As someone that has live in Dallas since the 1980's I have no connection to the Rangers because its always been very difficult to get to games, and the outdoor was heat was off-putting.
Plus....the Rangers go out of their way to market themselves to a certain type of fan, and exclude others.

Dallas/Collin County has the money/population to support an urban MLB franchise located in the heart of the city. A better atmosphere would do way better than the Rangers suburban setup in Arlington.

Your post implies that just because DFW isn't a great baseball place (at the moment) that it couldn't change in the future with a much better urban setup.
That is very short sighted thinking.

Last edited by Nuclear Bear; 06-06-2021 at 10:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas