Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 10:02 AM

245 posts, read 254,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
Huge missed opportunity to not have the Rangers near downtown Dallas. I don’t think it matters as much for the NFL because of the frequency of the games, but MLB stadiums can have a huge positive impact on an area and that vibrancy can in turn have a big positive impact on attendance.
I don't like boom and bust downtowns that swell with large events and are desolate the rest of the time (downtown Detroit, St Louis, etc that used stadiums as redevelopment plans- which is what Dallas would have done). In my fantasy Dallas the stadium is at Lovers/Greenville, actually in a neighborhood like Wrigley or Fenway. Across the street from DART for the Plano kids to skip school and come down to a game. 5-10 minute drive from the Park Cities and Lakewood. Generally on the way home from work for most white collar commuters. I can dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2021, 12:59 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75214Dad View Post
I don't like boom and bust downtowns that swell with large events and are desolate the rest of the time (downtown Detroit, St Louis, etc that used stadiums as redevelopment plans- which is what Dallas would have done). In my fantasy Dallas the stadium is at Lovers/Greenville, actually in a neighborhood like Wrigley or Fenway. Across the street from DART for the Plano kids to skip school and come down to a game. 5-10 minute drive from the Park Cities and Lakewood. Generally on the way home from work for most white collar commuters. I can dream.
Nice idea. The setting for Wrigley is incredible, my favorite stadium/ballpark location.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:41 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post
It looks like the Oakland A's will be relocating if they are not able to get a new stadium built.
If they relocate they will most likely stay in the PST and will probably move to Las Vegas.

MLB currently has 30 franchises and at some point in the next 10 years will probably look at moving to 32 teams.

It would be my dream for Dallas to get its own Major League Baseball franchise, and have a team located downtown.
Having a stadium located off the DART rail where you do not need to drive would be amazing.

The Metroplex is missing a true urban environment for its baseball team. I would love to be able to go to a baseball game and have readily available nightlife for pre game and post game activities like I can in Minneapolis, Boston, Chicago, Seattle...etc
In all of these cities its quite easy to get to a baseball game without a car.

I've lived in Dallas since the 1980's and I have no connection to the Texas Rangers because that franchise goes out of its way to let you know they do not represent Dallas. Plus they never win.

Dallas deserves a team that wins and consistently competes for championships.
In this aspect I'm actually very envious of Houston, and its relationship to the Astros.
1. Do you remember when the Astros were literally the worst team in baseball? It wasn't that long ago. I'm a lifelong Cardinals fan, and the Astros (who were in our division) were one of the most mediocre teams in baseball for decades. I'm not sure what you mean by "consistent," but I wouldn't call the Astros a consistent winner as a franchise.

There are only a few consistent winners in baseball. You can count them on one hand. The Yankees and Cardinals are at the top of the list, and the list gets pretty thin after that.

2. DFW isn't a great baseball place. It should be. It has the demographics and makeup to be, but it just isn't. Rangers fans are incredibly fair-weather. I really doubt two teams would work in DFW.

3. What has Dallas done to "deserve" a team that wins consistently? I'm genuinely asking what you mean by this. Dallas is a fine city, just like many other fine cities. I guess I don't see what it is about Dallas that implies it deserves its own winning baseball team.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:47 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
1. Do you remember when the Astros were literally the worst team in baseball? It wasn't that long ago. I'm a lifelong Cardinals fan, and the Astros (who were in our division) were one of the most mediocre teams in baseball for decades. I'm not sure what you mean by "consistent," but I wouldn't call the Astros a consistent winner as a franchise.

There are only a few consistent winners in baseball. You can count them on one hand. The Yankees and Cardinals are at the top of the list, and the list gets pretty thin after that.

2. DFW isn't a great baseball place. It should be. It has the demographics and makeup to be, but it just isn't. Rangers fans are incredibly fair-weather. I really doubt two teams would work in DFW.
I totally agree with these two points. Surprised no one pointed out the first point sooner.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:08 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Which is why Arlington will not add public transportation. I'm sure some deals were made with Jerry to keep it out.
There was a referendum for public transit at the same time as the one for the Cowboys. The Cowboys one won and the transit one lost.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:35 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:

3. What has Dallas done to "deserve" a team that wins consistently? I'm genuinely asking what you mean by this. Dallas is a fine city, just like many other fine cities. I guess I don't see what it is about Dallas that implies it deserves its own winning baseball team.
I think it's simply people want the city of Dallas to have a team. Nothing more than that. People envy urban stadiums where it is walkable and a vibrant area just outside the park. Other than that. Your points are well taken. Dallas will always be a football city.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:44 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Why should the City of Dallas use taxpayer money for a stadium? The owners are billionaires, they can afford to build a stadium themselves. Stan Kroenke did it when he moved the Rams from St Louis back to LA. Sofi stadium was built with private funds and it’s now the most expensive stadium ever constructed. Cities continue to get duped by greedy owners...
Exactly, its one of a few things the California voters get right, they don't fund NFL and MLB stadiums. Which is why Chargers, Raiders and now Athletics all moved.

Dallas Stars and Mavericks are already downtown, don't waste your tax money City of Dallas.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:05 AM

965 posts, read 725,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75214Dad View Post
That is quite the fantasy! I lived not too far from Mockingbird & Abrams in Lakewood when I lived in Dallas, would have been great to be able to walk to games. That said, Dallas is just too suburban to support a stadium plopped anywhere outside of downtown and not cause a traffic catastrophe. Could you imagine the traffic if there actually were a stadium at Lovers and Greenville?!? Cubs & Red Sox games are awesome because nobody drives and they are well served by transit, and the neighborhoods are so dense that it's literally not possible for more than a small % to drive. When I lived in Uptown Dallas, I had friends that would drive to restaurants & bars on the other side of Uptown, ha!

The other obstacle is that most Dallas natives are already Rangers fans (all of the ones that I knew were), so it's not like they're going to drop their fandom and switch to a new team downtown. And the transplants like me were already fans of some other team in another city. But fun to imagine what could have been in a parallel universe had Dallas been developed 100 years before it actually was.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:00 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Dallas has had it's shot at all of these sports teams and blown it. They just don't want to put up the cash.

You think they would build something as nice as the new Ranger Stadium? People won't go hang around Fairpark after a game.

The A's can go to Vegas.
People absolutely would hang around after the game.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:39 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
The Rangers finally have a Stadium you can go to in the summer and enjoy a game. Last one I went to a few years back it was 105 degrees.

Any new team would also require a domed stadium with AC. Much more costly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas