Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 06:13 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post
Washington DC also has two baseball teams in the same metro area.

16 years ago Washington DC got a team despite the Orioles only being 30 miles away.

The top 5 most populace metro areas all have the population to support multiple teams in the same sport.
The DFW metro area is currently the 7th biggest metro area and rapidly growing after adding over a million residents in the past 10 years.

By 2030 there will probably be close to 9 million people in the Dallas metro area. The MLB will make more money putting a Major League team in Dallas than any small market team.
Washington DC has one MLB team and it's the Nationals. The Orioles do not in any way shape or form play in the DC metro area. Baltimore and Washington are two different distinct metro areas.

Also people bringing up Bay Area, Chicago, NY, and LA. Only really NY and LA does this work. The Bay Area may lose one of their teams and if the White Sox wasn't a historic team that's been in Chicago for now a century, they would have left Chicago a while ago as well. The Cubs easily overshadow the White Sox in Chicagoland. Unless DFW gets to 15 million plus soon, I don't see two teams in the metro area.

I do agree though about having a baseball stadium in an urban location. I do not like suburban ball parks. Most of the best parks are in urban and walkable locations. I wish they placed the stadium somewhere in the city of Dallas. That said, people outside of DFW do see the Rangers (and Cowboys for that matter) as Dallas teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area

DFW is not 4th.

I hear people on this forum state this all the time, and its not true.

The top 5 metro areas in the United States are:
1. NYC (22 million)
2. Los Angeles (18 million)
3. Chicago (9.8 million)
4. Washington DC (9.8 million)
5. San Francisco Bay Area (9.6 million)

All these cities are bigger than Dallas-Ft Worth. All of these metro areas have multiple teams in the same sport. All of these metro areas have a bigger GDP than Dallas- FT Worth.

Those 5 cities (with Miami, but I don't count South Florida) are the 5 cities in the United States that are considered to be World Class.

I've been to all of those cities, and its clear as daylight that there are more people/traffic in those cities than Dallas-Ft Worth.

If Dallas was really the 4th biggest metro then why does it not have multiple teams like the Bay Area (Giants, A's, Raiders, 49ers) and DC (Ravens, Redskins, National, Orioles)?

Boston felt bigger and more populated than Dallas, despite it having a pretty average skyline for a major city.

If you want to separate:
- Inland Empire from LA
- San Jose from San Francisco or,
- Baltimore from DC for metro rankings then you would have to do the same for Ft Worth and Dallas.

That is what I never understand about the DFW is the 4th biggest metro area crowd. They want to combine Dallas and Ft Worth into one metro area, but not do the same for other cities with a similar setup.

6. Boston (8.2 million)
7. DFW (8 million)
8. Philadelphia (7.2 million)
9. Houston (7.2 million)
10. Miami (South Florida) (6.8 million)
11. Atlanta (6.8 million)

BIG Drop-off to #12.

In sports rankings the above cities are what are considered to be the Major Market teams.
The Raiders now play in Las Vegas. Please don't tell people in Baltimore that The Ravens and Nationals are Washington DC teams. You're also looking at CSA's. CSA's are combined metro areas. Key word combined. MSA is what you should look at. MSA are one metro and DFW metro is indeed the fourth largest metro area in population in the nation.

Also no, you cannot separate Baltimore from DC because it's already separate from DC. Same with San Jose with SF. They have their own television and radio markets. Fort Worth does not have a separate TV and radio market from Dallas.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:50 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,111,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The Raiders now play in Las Vegas. Please don't tell people in Baltimore that The Ravens and Nationals are Washington DC teams. You're also looking at CSA's. CSA's are combined metro areas. Key word combined. MSA is what you should look at. MSA are one metro and DFW metro is indeed the fourth largest metro area in population in the nation.

Also no, you cannot separate Baltimore from DC because it's already separate from DC. Same with San Jose with SF. They have their own television and radio markets. Fort Worth does not have a separate TV and radio market from Dallas.
It’s kind of borderline though when looking at the distinction between CSA’s and MSA’s in some of these cases. The official designation is based on economic/social ties, but just from spending time in some of those areas, the Bay Area to me feels like it should be considered one big MSA with San Jose included. San Jose to SF is a little further than Dallas to Fort Worth but not a lot further. Washington and Baltimore are actually closer together than San Jose/SF (very close to Dallas/FW distance), but to me feel more distinctive and their own individual metros that happen to be close together.

That’s just personal opinion though, but overall I don’t think DFW has any realistic shot at getting a 2nd team within the same major sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, etc.).

Huge missed opportunity to not have the Rangers near downtown Dallas. I don’t think it matters as much for the NFL because of the frequency of the games, but MLB stadiums can have a huge positive impact on an area and that vibrancy can in turn have a big positive impact on attendance.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:56 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
I wouldn’t put a MLB stadium in Fair Park. I would put it somewhere along the River in West Dallas with Dallas skyline in the background.

Old 05-22-2021, 08:46 PM

565 posts, read 557,639 times
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area

DFW is not 4th.

I hear people on this forum state this all the time, and its not true.

That is what I never understand about the DFW is the 4th biggest metro area crowd. They want to combine Dallas and Ft Worth into one metro area, but not do the same for other cities with a similar setup.
The government census literally list DFW as the 4th largest metroplex (this isn't a debatable statement, it's a 100% fact)

Your confusing MSA with CSA which are not the same thing. Just because you think it's unfair that Forth Worth should classify it as CSA isn't our problem, you can take it up the census

Last edited by mastershake575; 05-22-2021 at 09:00 PM..

Old 05-22-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
It’s kind of borderline though when looking at the distinction between CSA’s and MSA’s in some of these cases. The official designation is based on economic/social ties, but just from spending time in some of those areas, the Bay Area to me feels like it should be considered one big MSA with San Jose included. San Jose to SF is a little further than Dallas to Fort Worth but not a lot further. Washington and Baltimore are actually closer together than San Jose/SF (very close to Dallas/FW distance), but to me feel more distinctive and their own individual metros that happen to be close together.

That’s just personal opinion though, but overall I don’t think DFW has any realistic shot at getting a 2nd team within the same major sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, etc.).

Huge missed opportunity to not have the Rangers near downtown Dallas. I don’t think it matters as much for the NFL because of the frequency of the games, but MLB stadiums can have a huge positive impact on an area and that vibrancy can in turn have a big positive impact on attendance.
A big difference between Dallas-Fort Worth and Washington/Baltimore are the size of the respective city limits. DT Dallas to DT Fort Worth are 30 miles apart. The city limits themselves though are as close as 10 miles apart. It helps that Texas cities are mammoths physically. DC and Baltimore are small cities physically but pack much more in them. I can agree with you about the Bay Area. I think CSA works with LA and Inland Empire as well. Those are probably the only metro areas where CSA makes sense. DC and Baltimore gap has closed a bit but is decades to become what the California cities are let alone DFW.

Also agreed about the missed opportunity. FC Dallas also should build their stadium in walkable urban locations. If people feel baseball is more of an urban sport, soccer is probably the most urban sport of them all.

Old 05-22-2021, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
I wouldn’t put a MLB stadium in Fair Park. I would put it somewhere along the River in West Dallas with Dallas skyline in the background.
I would even be fine if the stadium was near the core of Fort Worth. Just put it in a place that has a little urbanity. Fort Worth and Dallas are the only cities in the metroplex that could offer that. There is zero about Arlington that is urban and that will never change. Not saying FW is significantly more urban but at least their core is.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:20 PM

240 posts, read 209,339 times
Which is the largest MSA in the United States?
United States
Rank Metropolitan statistical area 2019 estimate
1 New York City-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA MSA 19,216,182
2 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA MSA 13,214,799
3 Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI MSA 9,458,539
4 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX MSA 7,573,136

Old 05-23-2021, 12:41 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,044,970 times
Yeah this is never going to happen. The reasons for most metros that have two teams is mostly historical, and each of those metros has an iconic franchise (Yankees, Giants, Dodgers, Cubs) that is not threatened in terms of attendance or popularity by the presence of a second weaker franchise. Most of those second franchises were added in the 60s as well when baseball was a much bigger deal than it is today.

Long story short, the Rangers are not a strong, iconic franchise and a downtown Dallas team would significantly damage them. MLB would never allow it. I honestly don't ever see any metro getting a second MLB team that doesn't already have one.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:47 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,100,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Yeah this is never going to happen. The reasons for most metros that have two teams is mostly historical, and each of those metros has an iconic franchise (Yankees, Giants, Dodgers, Cubs) that is not threatened in terms of attendance or popularity by the presence of a second weaker franchise. Most of those second franchises were added in the 60s as well when baseball was a much bigger deal than it is today.

Long story short, the Rangers are not a strong, iconic franchise and a downtown Dallas team would significantly damage them. MLB would never allow it. I honestly don't ever see any metro getting a second MLB team that doesn't already have one.
This. I wanted to say this myself, but was just too lazy to try to explain it as well as you did. You nailed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas