Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 09:23 AM

223 posts, read 141,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
Yes you are. You said "you hear people refer to DFW as the 4th biggest metroplex when it really isn't" but yes that statement is in fact true. The census literally list DFW as the 4th biggest metroplex in the US
I said 4th biggest metroplex (MSA) which it is. Look up biggest metroplexs or MSA and every result will show DFW as 4th

Your trying to argue CSA (combined metroplex) which isn't a good metric because 1. DFW isn't CSA and 2. In the case your arguing (multiple sports teams in one generally area) it isn't a good metric because all of the CSA's have multiple news/radio/media markets where DFW only has 1 since it's a single metroplex

Mastershake,

You are the one that is confused because you believe anything that anyone tells you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

See this link. The Government shows that San Antonio, TX is the 7th largest city in the United States.

Now use some critical thinking skills here....is San Antonio really the 7th largest city in the United States????

Not if you account for suburbs which in actuality makes San Antonio anywhere from being the 25th to 30th largest city in the United States.

A lot of people from San Antonio will state they live in the 7th largest city in the United States to try and imply that San Antonio is one of the 10 biggest cities in the United States.

If you just rely on list you could state that San Antonio was a more populated city than Dallas, Boston or Atlanta.
If you go to those cities its obvious that they are way bigger than San Antonio.

You are doing the exact same thing by stating DFW is the 4th biggest metro area.
DFW is not the 4th biggest metro area because NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, and the Bay Area all have more people....and its obvious when you are in these places that there are physically more people than in DFW

All those cities have more traffic, congestion, airports, sports teams, and people than DFW...and unlike DFW those places all have way more urban activity in terms of people taking public transportation, and living in the city core.

The link that you are using to justify DFW as 4th separates San Jose from the rest of the Bay Area, and Baltimore from the rest of the DMV.

If two cities share an airport (Minneapolis-St Paul, DFW, Baltimore-Washington International) then they are in the same metro area......PERIOD.

Last edited by Nuclear Bear; 06-06-2021 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
You have to consider how big those other metros are.
NY MSA is like 16 million

LA county alone has 10 million residents. And the Angels still play in O.C. so add another 3 million people which means those two counties are nearly TWICE the size of the DFW MSA. And its the second biggest TV market in America. DFW is 5th, have the size of metro LA/OC.

Chicagoland is 9.2 million

SF Bay area is smaller than DFW per Census but if you add in San Jose 40 miles to the south, its larger, easily 9 million residents. That said, the As play in Oakland and SJ is in a separate county, i.e. not going to help pay for a new stadium.

Once DFW crosses 9 million, I think MLB will really take notice.
I agree with this post 100%.

This is about looking at future growth. Its very possible that in 10 years that DFW will have over 9 million people. The Dallas metro area has grown by 18% over the past 10 years which is one of the fastest rates in the country.

With that many people, companies and jobs moving to the metroplex there will be more than enough money for Dallas to have its own team.

Its my opinion that a new MLB franchise in Dallas ( I don't want any team to relocate...especially the Rangers) would do better than a team in a smaller market like Austin, Charlotte, Portland...etc

Old 06-06-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes really.

BWI to downtown Baltimore are 10 miles apart. BWI to downtown DC are 33 miles apart. When you look at the itinerary, you will usually see Baltimore, MD. They really do not share that airport. BWI is in Baltimore MSA, not Washington MSA. Washington MSA has National and Dulles airport. Washington is in the name of BWI for marketing purposes only to attract those in PG and Montgomery County. That's only because Dulles was to far. But you are indeed leaving DC area to Baltimore area to fly out if you're going to BWI.

The Orioles are still Baltimores team. It is not Baltimore and Washingtons team.

Bottom line is Baltimore and Washington isn't one metro. Dallas and Fort Worth is.

If two cities share an airport such as DFW, Minneapolis-St Paul, or BWI then by rule they are in the same metro area.

My mother lives in Columbia, Maryland. Baltimore is 15 minutes away, and DC is about 30 minutes away (with no traffic)

If she wants to fly here to Texas she can take BWI (if flying Southwest) or even Reagan National, or Dulles.

Its no different than someone that live in Grapevine, and has the option of flying out of DFW or Love Field.

and again you are focusing on things that don't matter.

The majority of people on this thread have stated why it won't work, and I'm taking the opposite approach of why not?

We have a very recent example of MLB putting a second team in a growing metropolitan area with an established team already there.

Washington DC got a team 16 years ago despite the Baltimore Orioles only being 30 miles away.

If the DFW continues to approach 9 million people then Dallas should try and gets its own team that can play in the National League.

Old 06-06-2021, 09:45 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,421,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post
The Rangers are a garbage franchise. Dallas deserves so much better.

The pre game atmosphere at the Mavs games on Friday night and last night was insane.
The energy around the AAC was felt by everyone.

You will never convince me that a baseball franchise located in Downtown Dallas would not be successful.
I'm fine with the Rangers staying in Arlington and catering to the crowd that wants to go to Six Flags and then go eat at Applebee's on Restaurant Row.

I want Dallas to have its own MLB franchise with an urban baseball atmosphere similar to Minnesota, San Diego, Seattle.
Dallas has a franchise,

The Rangers.

Old 06-06-2021, 09:48 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,421,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The Orioles are still Baltimores team. It is not Baltimore and Washingtons team.

Bottom line is Baltimore and Washington isn't one metro. Dallas and Fort Worth is.
Agree.

Having lived in the DC area,

Baltimore has a long history as does DC.

They are two difference places. Although geographically close, very different.

We cannot compare the Northeast to other parts of the country, IMO.

Old 06-06-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
I just think it'll be a while until this happens. If there's ever an additional team in TX, I'd imagine it would go to Austin. The Rangers stadium is 15 miles from downtown Fort Worth and 20 miles from downtown Dallas. Dallas County has 2.6 million people, Tarrant county 2 million people. I'm sure they had all this in mind when they decided to keep the stadium at the same location.

I also think DFW is just a bit different. It's full of transplants. People tend to stick to their side of the metro. FW people don't care too much to go to the Dallas side and vice versa. Houston area is massive and the small cities and towns in and around Houston are "from Houston." What Houston decides to do may influence the towns around it. In DFW, each city and town has its own flavor and way of doing things. They don't necessarily see themselves as "from Dallas." They could care less how Dallas is doing things in Fort Worth and vice versa. Case in point, the rangers is the hometown team but you are advocating a new team in downtown Dallas that would blow away what the Rangers do in Arlington. That shows that there are people in Dallas not willing to embrace a Rangers team in Arlington that's just 25 minutes away from downtown Dallas, on a hill next to AT&T stadium near bars and Texas Live.

Downtown Houston is the center of Houston Metro. Everything else moves outward from there. Neither downtown Dallas nor downtown Fort Worth is the center of the metro. Philly downtown is at the center. Minneapolis and St Paul downtowns are 10 miles from each other so the stadium being downtown Minneapolis is still a good location. In comparison, Fort Worth has more residents than Minneapolis and St. Paul combined. It makes sense to provide a convenient location for the FW side of the metro. I guess the hard part is convincing everyone to meet at the middle in Arlington for MLB baseball. People will do it though because they do it for the Cowboys. Plus baseball is not as concerned about filling seats like the NFL. It's a 81 home game season compared to 8 games and clubs still make major profits on each game even if the stadium is at 40% capacity through other ways.
In theory I don't really disagree with this post, but I'm going to add some things that no one else has mentioned on this thread.

I'm in the Houston all the time for business. In one Houston business trip I will see more black and Hispanic people repping Astros gear than I will see in an entire year living in Dallas.

My Greek friend from Philly that I spoke about earlier.....he leans over to me (and this was during the two years the Rangers made the World Series) and says "Dallas is weird......black people here do NOT root for the Texas Rangers"

I asked if Phiiy was the same and he says; "HELL NO".

Everyone is a Phillies fan because they represent being from Philadelphia.
When we had that conversation I had never been to Philadelphia, but in the last 9 years I've gone there a lot, and my friend was correct.
Regardless of race, creed, religion, socio-economic status everyone up there repped the Phillies.

The Dallas Cowboys and Mavericks have a similar fanbase. The Dallas Mavericks fanbase (which I've been a season ticket holder for the past 15 years) is very different from the Texas Rangers.

The Houston Astros, and the Texas Rangers have a different fanbase despite Dallas and Houston being rather similar cities.
There is way more diversity at Houston Astros game than a Rangers game.

Did you guys ever see people south of I-30 repping for the Rangers like they do the Cowboys, or Mavericks?
If you go to a rough neighborhood in Houston you will see all types of people repping Astros gear.....because the Astros represent the city.

its my opinion that the Rangers lack of an urban male fanbase is why they rarely ever win. The suburban family fanbase that the Rangers market to doesn't really ever hold the Rangers accountable for consistently putting a garbage product out on the field.

The reason that "fair weather" cities tend to have great pro sports teams is that there is tremendous pressure on the team to win. If the team does not win the city will not support them, and they will lose money.

The point of this thread is that I want Dallas to have its own urban baseball team like the Dodgers or Astros. The Rangers can stay marketing themselves to the suburbs and Tarrant County.

I'm envious of the Houston relationship to the Astros.

Last edited by Nuclear Bear; 06-06-2021 at 10:51 AM..

Old 06-06-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Dallas has a franchise,

The Rangers.
Dallas has never had a major league baseball franchise.

The Rangers have always gone out of their way to state they are not Dallas's team.

https://www.asicentral.com/news/web-...t-controversy/

Quote:
When the Texas Rangers clinched the AL West with a win over Los Angeles on Sunday, they were treated to MLB-designed shirts and sweatshirts that had a “The West Is Ours” logo prominently displayed over a backdrop of the Dallas skyline.

Pretty cool, right? Well, there’s only one problem: The Rangers play in Arlington, not Dallas, and this has caused a bit of a stir among the fan base. Queue Twitte

The apparel, which apparently was not approved by the Texas Rangers club, has now been banned at Globe Life Park, turning the controversial T-shirts into somewhat of a collector’s item.

What do you think of this T-shirt? Is it a violation or just much ado about nothing? Vote here!
If the Rangers don't want to rep Dallas then F**K em. I'm dead serious.

Old 06-06-2021, 04:37 PM

922 posts, read 1,700,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Dallas has a franchise,

The Rangers.

The Rangers have never been viewed as a Dallas team. The franchise has always avoided any association with Dallas.

Old 06-06-2021, 05:13 PM

922 posts, read 1,700,439 times
With sports you need it take into account the Nielsen DMA rankings and not the overall metro population. DFW is 5th at 2.395% of households. All the markets that have multiple teams are above 3%, except the Bay Area which is ranked 6th at 2.210%. Dallas/DFW would have a long way to go. The MLB and the owners would probably be more likely to expand into a new market than attempt to divide one and possibly two if you include the Astros.

Old 06-06-2021, 06:14 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,364,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
And if it happens, I bet it would be in the northern Dallas burbs. Lol
The money is there which is why the Braves left Atlanta proper and moved northwest to Cobb County. The issue though with DFW is where would it go without being too far north? Plano would be the most ideal but its basically already built out. North of 380 I think places it too far north but if its 20 years in the future it man not be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas