Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will DFW top:
11 million 9 28.13%
14 million 20 62.50%
Some other amount 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 01:16 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
At this point, why would you even WANT DFW's population to get any bigger...?
A 2nd baseball team not in Arlington, for Six Flags to get some upgrades or a competitor, for a Dallas version of Broadway in NYC, for the zoo, lake waterfronts, and transit to get some upgrades. A major university would be nice.

Why is it so superior that DFW should stay the same population? Because you have to spend some time in traffic? I honestly could care less if the population doubles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 02:08 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Has there been a single metro area in the United States since 1900 that was a top-10 area by population but subsequently saw a population decrease? Even classic examples of shrinking cities like St. Louis have seen their metro population increase significantly. I have a hard time believing that when the US has a billion people and the world has 30 billion people that DFW will not have even doubled.
I don't expect to have an actual conversation about this with someone who expects the Earth's human population to likely hit thirty billion.

Old 10-25-2021, 02:20 PM

5,841 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonhun View Post
I don't expect to have an actual conversation about this with someone who expects the Earth's human population to likely hit thirty billion.
Then why reply?

If you disagree with someone, or if that someone is wrong about something, fine. But to say "You're too stupid to have an actual conversation with"?

You're out of line.

Old 10-25-2021, 03:21 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Just a good place to live so why not let as many enjoy it as want to. Even if the USA population growth stops some areas wil grow and I believe Texas is one that will grow. The beauty of having states that can do their own thing is it gives us more variety places to live. A friendly place that is pro business is always going to be in demand.

Old 10-25-2021, 04:08 PM

198 posts, read 186,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Just a good place to live so why not let as many enjoy it as want to. Even if the USA population growth stops some areas wil grow and I believe Texas is one that will grow. The beauty of having states that can do their own thing is it gives us more variety places to live. A friendly place that is pro business is always going to be in demand.
+1
So many DFW long timers don't like people moving in from other states that this is a refreshing POV. I wish more DFWers understood how many people that are moving in are really running away from innovation-crippling laws and heavy govt.

I guess some are worried that we can't handle the volume. But hey - if LA can handle 15 million with an ocean on one side and mountains on the other, I'm pretty confident that DFW can do it too. Probably better

Old 10-25-2021, 07:07 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
A 2nd baseball team not in Arlington, for Six Flags to get some upgrades or a competitor, for a Dallas version of Broadway in NYC, for the zoo, lake waterfronts, and transit to get some upgrades. A major university would be nice.

Why is it so superior that DFW should stay the same population? Because you have to spend some time in traffic? I honestly could care less if the population doubles.
LOL, Dude, why don't you just move to NYC already?!?

Old 10-25-2021, 07:14 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,233 times
Quote:
Then why reply?

If you disagree with someone, or if that someone is wrong about something, fine. But to say "You're too stupid to have an actual conversation with"?

You're out of line.
Funny to see this coming from YOU, when 99% of your posts and replies to people are oozing with snark and wry insults.

He told you right...

Old 10-25-2021, 07:42 PM

5,841 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
Funny to see this coming from YOU, when 99% of your posts and replies to people are oozing with snark and wry insults.

He told you right...
I pretty much never cast insults. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever done so if it wasn't in response to being blatantly insulted.

I think you are interpreting disagreement as snark, but the two are not the same.

Old 10-25-2021, 09:09 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,334 times
Quote:
Then why reply?

You're out of line.
If you think you are stupid or someone thinks you are stupid, then that is on you. I think we merely disagree at the basis of the topic.

Are you aware two people can have differing opinions or views without one being less intelligent than the other?

Old 10-25-2021, 09:18 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
As someone from outside the metro area, I do think DFW, will peak around 14,000,000 people. Not only is Texas a fast growing state due to relocations, it also has pro-growth politicians on both sides of the isle, lacks NIMBY-ism of other states, and even as U.S peaks in population, and the world itself peaks in population, DFW and the state will still be attractive to millions of people.

What remains to be seen is if climate change and the depopulation of other regions of America, leads to housing prices that stops being competitive. DFW also has the room, to grow, not only Northward, but /southward and Eastward DFW is still relatively empty, not to mention the Fort Worth side of the metro, having tons of space within commuting distance to Fort Worth itself. Many cities, may start replicating Farmer's Branch in redeveloping areas and adding density to their respective cities.

I do think their has to be an active push to add new housing/apartments to areas like Dallas County and Tarrant County, because their is a distance limit, which L.A has found in commuting to the inner city. It's basically roughly hour, in no-traffic up to 2 hours when traffic is involved, (that's when developers start struggling to build a new neighborhood that will attract residents). Of course their is people that do even longer times and thus distances, but as decentralization combined with WFH continues, while I think development will hit Ennis before it hit's Sherman, Dallas still has a ton of space to expand.

My future guess for population numbers at 14,000,000 is...
Dallas (City)- 1,800,000
Dallas County- 3,600,000
Fort Worth- 1,400,000
Arlington- 500,000
Denton (City)- 400,000
Tarrant County- 2,900,000
Collin County- 2,300,000
Denton County- 1,700,000
Ellis County- 800,000
Johnson County- 600,000
Kaufmann County- 500,000
Grayson County- 400,000
Parker County- 300,000
Rockwall County- 300,000
Hunt County- 300,000
Wise County- 200,000
Hood County- 100,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas