Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2022, 09:12 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,414,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Kardashians, for example, are clearly high prole despite their enormous amounts of money, whereas the retired professor of Renaissance literature who lives on a small pension from an obscure liberal arts college in a condo, is most likely upper middle.
So their father Robert Kardashian a famous lawyer, Olympic champion stepfather/California governor hopeful, supermodel status, prep-school attendees are high prole vs a retired professor being upper middle class? LOL. Maybe except for the famous lineage. This is why class distinctions are so silly. Kardashian exhusband meets with the president. How much higher class can you get, and if that doesn't count, then what does social class really mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 09:24 AM

300 posts, read 291,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
So their father Robert Kardashian a famous lawyer, Olympic champion stepfather/California governor hopeful, supermodel status, prep-school attendees are high prole vs a retired professor being upper middle class? LOL. Maybe except for the famous lineage. This is why class distinctions are so silly. Kardashian exhusband meets with the president. How much higher class can you get, and if that doesn't count, then what does social class really mean?
They’re famous for reasons that… aren’t the best. And being in the news constantly for stuff like the Trump/Kanye West circus doesn’t make somebody upper class.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:34 AM

37 posts, read 38,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
Understood. I'm aware that the Eastwood area started being built out in the 40s with a lot of growth in the 50s and 60s. I did speak with our neighbor, she has lived in the area 40 years and to the best of her knowledge she said it's been Eastwood as long as she can remember. Beyond that, I have no real information on whether the name existed around inception or popped up sometime between the 40s and the 80s.

However, I don't think anyone mistakes any connection between Eastwood and Lakewood.

That being said, I'm not sure where your 'urban pioneer' comment comes from. But maybe I'm just misunderstanding. I usually see that term used for run down areas or gentrifying areas and I definitely don't consider this area rundown. I live in this area and find it an aesthetically nice, semi-walkable area with established mid century homes. Nice mature tree cover, homes that are kept in nice condition or updated tastefully. My neighbors are a nice mixture of professionals, young families, or retirees. I think it's a gem of an area.

I will say that if you cross Peavy to the East an keep going toward Ferguson, the quality of home upkeep tends to decline in that direction.
Ferguson has been the dividing line for quite a while until you get down to the Hillridge area.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:48 AM

631 posts, read 886,332 times
The Eastwood area could be a nice investment. The shopping center with Goodfriend, Goodfriend Package, Cultivar, and GAPCO has become a destination for Far East Dallas. There's a small apartment complex going in at the Garland Road Thrift Store site that's going to rent for between $2,000-$3,000 a month. Smells like gentrification to me.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:13 AM

4,233 posts, read 6,917,438 times
I definitely think it's a nice investment area and I totally agree that that shopping corner is great to have within walking distance. Don't forget hello dumpling there too.

I don't think the Eastwood area itself is really a candidate for what I would traditionally consider gentrification as it is already nice mid century homes that are well kept and/or updated tastefully. You'll find very few project homes there that need a lot of work and even then it's mostly just updated cosmetic interior finishes. The median home price is already in the $500s. With the price and state of homes, most people aren't buying these to flip nor raze and build in this area. However, I think you will see some additional improvement in areas across Garland and down toward Ferguson in coming years.

Last edited by Sunbather; 01-05-2022 at 11:26 AM..

Old 01-05-2022, 11:21 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,652,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
She didn’t Trump up enough for the uneducated.
IDK my son is an owner/operator trucker, has multiple college degrees, runs his business.

And dislikes Trump.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:39 AM

245 posts, read 255,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
The Hexter/Reilly area is fine in and of itself, but to the south and east it gets dicey.
Well, Reilly extends to LBJ to the east and beyond that is Garland so I’m not sure that would be “urban pioneer” either. Inner ring suburban is more likely.

To the south is Casa Linda which is even more expensive. So you pretty much have no clue what you’re talking about.

I mean, sure the “2 points” area of Peavy isn’t my favorite, but it’s not walkable to Eastwood- they are in no way connected (different schools K-12, no bus routes between the two, different zip codes, they are different areas!)

Old 01-05-2022, 11:58 AM

4,233 posts, read 6,917,438 times
^I agree that I'm a bit confused about what area Rabbit33 would be referring to. Eastwood is assigned to Hexter and essentially walkable to the school. I bet from our front door to Hexter is a mile at most. The neighborhood is just across Lake Highlands. And definitely not anything I would consider dicey.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:08 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,004,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGuy422 View Post
They’re famous for reasons that… aren’t the best. And being in the news constantly for stuff like the Trump/Kanye West circus doesn’t make somebody upper class.

Agreed about the news........but the reasons for being upper class (or not) are tricky.

If a family made their fortune through bootlegging or slavery, would we consider them upper class? Probably 'new money' for the first generation but at some point they become old money. Feel like "old money" is the point where your family has been wealthy long enough that folks don't quite remember how you became wealthy in the first place. You name is familiar but no single individual in your family is particularly famous unless they're a diplomat, CEO/Chairman, President etc.

Kardashians aren't quite in that club but their family line almost certainly will be considering all of the sisters appear to be quite well off in their own right.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:14 PM

300 posts, read 291,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Agreed about the news........but the reasons for being upper class (or not) are tricky.

If a family made their fortune through bootlegging or slavery, would we consider them upper class? Probably 'new money' for the first generation but at some point they become old money. Feel like "old money" is the point where your family has been wealthy long enough that folks don't quite remember how you became wealthy in the first place. You name is familiar but no single individual in your family is particularly famous unless they're a diplomat, CEO/Chairman, President etc.

Kardashians aren't quite in that club but their family line almost certainly will be considering all of the sisters appear to be quite well off in their own right.
Agreed. It’s a complicated, not “one size fits all” definition. Kind of a “you can’t explain it, but you know it when you see it” situation. That being said, I think many (most?) would not take the Kardashians seriously nor think they’re upper class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas