Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 11:50 PM

68 posts, read 280,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Not really, Rosie, I'm just putting it into perspective as an extremely rare event, especially as it may impact me. Being struck by lightning is a much more likely possibility for me than being killed by a Dallas tornado.

Would you know how to calculate the chances of encountering a tornado strong enough to kill you? I don't mean just somewhere in Dallas coounty, but one just a few feet from where you're standing. It would be a number so small you could not visualize it.

Thanks for your concern, but I've been in and around Dallas for 50 years and I'm still very much alive.
So, you do not worry and do not care? When I lived in TX...I always felt in that "target field"..... I also kept saying that it won't hit me...I am just fine! We moved to CO and got very badly hit by a tornado north of Denver last week! This is very very unusual! Now..Aceplace you explain me how that could happen??!!! I am glad you live your life in full with no worries..but for all the others out there.. don't fear but have a plan in place! It could hit you any time anywhere!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 11:52 PM

68 posts, read 280,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Hate to burst your so open minded self but I've VERY MUCH traveled the GREAT BIG world out there. Been around the globe to countries most people never have been. My own kids travel all over the world. Been all over the great big state of Texas as well
Well - this is very difficult to believe!!! I wonder how many languages you speak - probably just Texan!!!

Old 05-29-2008, 06:48 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,900,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie View Post
Well - this is very difficult to believe!!! I wonder how many languages you speak - probably just Texan!!!
Too bad for you. And here I thought Europeans were more "open minded". Guess not. Guess most of us well traveled Texans are more open to travel around the globe and others than many believe . I might not be "fluent" in many other languages other than English but I can get by in most countries I visit. Russian was a toughy though. Can't wait to go back and take the kids sometime. One good friend here by me goes at least once a year and she is also a Native Texan. She has made some lasting friendships over there and goes there as well as other countries. Me, the world map posted upstairs is full of marks where we have been and where we want to go. Maybe YOU should open your mind up and believe that most of us Texans DO indeed get out a bit more than most

Too bad the entire time living here all you could think of was dying in some tornado. GADS!!! That would be like being in California and being so paranoid to get out from under a desk thinking an earthquake was going to hit at any moment. Get out some and realize that us down here CAN and DO live life to the fullest and don't worry about tornadoes all the time. Interesting thing thinking about travel and tornadoes. I'd safely say that more people in the last 100 years have died from a plane crash IN Dallas County than from a tornado.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:56 AM

636 posts, read 1,917,381 times
Quote:
I wished I had talked to you before moving to TX and wasting 10 years there!!! I would never have moved there!!! ....
Now THERE'S a really intelligent statement... Wouldn't have moved here and stayed 10 years if you had talked to one person first...

Do you not realize that statements like this discredit EVERYTHING ELSE you say? At least you have saved us the trouble of having to read your posts in the future.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:10 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,071,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Too bad for you. And here I thought Europeans were more "open minded". Guess not.

Maybe YOU should open your mind up and believe that most of us Texans DO indeed get out a bit more than most

Too bad the entire time living here all you could think of was dying in some tornado. GADS!!! That would be like being in California and being so paranoid to get out from under a desk thinking an earthquake was going to hit at any moment. Get out some and realize that us down here CAN and DO live life to the fullest and don't worry about tornadoes all the time. Interesting thing thinking about travel and tornadoes. I'd safely say that more people in the last 100 years have died from a plane crash IN Dallas County than from a tornado.
Don't worry about Rosie, Mom. She's clearly a Troll with an enormous chip on her shoulder. Probably spends an hour each day to come up with anti-Texas insults.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:22 AM

670 posts, read 3,000,496 times
Personally I think you should have a plan, but I've lived in California (experienced lots of quakes including the double whammies about 15 years ago), Louisiana, Texas and Georgia as an adult. We had "plans" for the *usual* types of weather for those areas, i.e., earthquakes, hurricane, tornadoes, etc. Ironically the first 10 years I was here we never had a tornado issue...within 6 months of living in Georgia they had those deadly ones last spring (2007) that impacted people who worked with DH AND then the fires with the smoke somehow traveling up from Florida and congesting the valley to the point that planes didn't take off for a few weeks!

Now, if I lived in worry about it all the time, I'd need antianxiety medication. Life is too short. Honestly though if you really are bothered that much I'd find a different apartment to live in or even different area, although like I said I moved to Georgia and they had tornadoes, droughts and forest fires--things that "don't happen there" all in that horrible 13 months I lived there (LOL I just realized people in Texas probably think I'm a bad omen--I think God was telling me to go back to Texas).

Old 05-29-2008, 11:44 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,181,360 times
Lions and Tigers and Tornadoes, OH MY!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:53 AM

670 posts, read 3,000,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Lions and Tigers and Tornadoes, OH MY!
LOL and believe it or not I was born in Kansas...and had a dog named Wizard once.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:10 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,071,233 times
Quote:
So, you do not worry and do not care? When I lived in TX...I always felt in that "target field"..... I also kept saying that it won't hit me...I am just fine! We moved to CO and got very badly hit by a tornado north of Denver last week! This is very very unusual! Now..Aceplace you explain me how that could happen??!!! I am glad you live your life in full with no worries..but for all the others out there.. don't fear but have a plan in place! It could hit you any time anywhere!!
How could it happen? Because you moved from Texas to Colorado, of course. If you'd stayed in Dallas, you would not have suffered from the Colorado tornado.

OK, Rosie, I couldn't resist a bit of humor. In all seriousness, though, I am sorry if you or yours were injured, or if you suffered an economic loss. If that's the case, I can understand why you're on edge. And I wish you a speedy recovery from what you may have suffered.

Last edited by aceplace; 05-29-2008 at 01:19 PM..

Old 05-29-2008, 01:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,181,360 times
Yes and Colorado has those avalanches burying people - what a way to go..smothering has to be a terrible way to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas