Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 09:33 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
My coworkers are all nice people as well but they are the Chilis mega church Burleson types so I don’t have much in common with them and because they don’t live nearby, it’s hard to interact after work.
Judging an area based on co-workers at some white collar office job is going to lead to some faulty conclusions.

In most office settings, it's going to be mostly married people with families. It sounds typical that your co-workers are chain restaurant eating, church attending, suburbanites. Those who don't fit that mold will need to look for other ways to find friends and find romance.

You would need to spend more time with unmarried people in Dallas to get closer to the types that you're looking to meet. Even in Dallas, that would take some effort to find the types you're seeking. You're looking for people who aren't cookie cutter, white collar worker types in a lot of cases.

Quote:
DFW is a large metro area but it has more of a family vibe so it’s hard to meet an immigrant from Vietnam who is interested in meeting other people. These people tend to stay within their own community or family. I’ve attended a few meetups here for foreign language, photography, biking, and an few other topics and have met some nice people but they are almost always married and have kids and still live the typical suburban lifestyle.
The DFW suburbs do have a family vibe. It's slowly changing in some of the suburbs. The Shops of Legacy/Legacy West are diversifying Plano away from the family vibe. There are unmarried and unattached people who live in those areas and spend leisure time around Shops at Legacy and Legacy West.

I did go to some of the Meetup website groups a long time ago and I wasn't impressed with most of the people who attended various groups there. I consider Meetup a waste.

It would be better if you found people through means not affiliated with groups off of the Meetup website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2023, 09:55 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
Maybe you aren’t as interesting you think you are if you can’t figure this out. I can promise you that there are fun and interesting things happening in Dallas. Whether that’s true for the suburbs I have no idea.

Old 03-04-2023, 10:44 AM

329 posts, read 283,525 times
DFW may be less cosmopolitan than NYC, SF, Chicago, or LA, but it’s also safer, has less violent crime, and save Chicago, is significantly less expensive.

And while Dallas is a blue city like the others, it is absent the far-Left “restorative” policies which have emboldened spiraling amounts of violent crime in those cities.

As a native Chicagoan, I can tell you that the city is a complete disaster. Sure, living in a truly international city where it’s easy to find people like you describe is great, but not at the expense of my personal safety.

Chicago is a now a cesspool, with violent, ghetto hoodrats emboldened by woke elected officials and desanctioned, demoralized police, are free to terrorize neighborhoods they never would have dared to in the past. No thanks!

Old 03-04-2023, 03:55 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,484,640 times
I think you're fishing in the wrong pond.
Virtually no single French artistes here in Texas.
Virtually no single Senegalese female attorneys.
Virtually none of the flip side of those.
I'm not in adoption circles, but I would guess very few Nigerian adoptees in Dallas by foreign parents. Chances are if they are married and have kids, they're not hanging in bars. I doubt that is common in Chicago either.
I really doubt you meet many of these worldly eccentric couples in Chicago either.
My guess is you might have a better chance in DC or maybe Brooklyn....or Paris...or London or working at the UN.
Probably 1000 big cities around the world you will not meet them....and certainly not in bars, unless you are 21 and a model.
Trying to think of where you won't meet as many cowboys like me.....but then again I might show up there too.
Maybe a World Affairs Council lecture, maybe become a patron of the arts...like DMA....maybe hang out in Klyde Warren Park.
Maybe attend the main Dallas Rotary Club, or the Success North Dallas networking group....but not sure you find your Dover Sole sauteed in a beurre blanc there either.
Maybe hang out somewhere like the Londoner when they have Premier League or European league matches on, but then again maybe only if you're into Irish Rugby players.
Maybe you meet them in Miami at Art Basel....but then again many people hang with their own, so trying to break into that circle might be tough.
Good luck......maybe this is where dating apps are the best place....you put in all your craziest wishes....way better than pot luck at a MegaChurch on a Wednesday night bingo meetup here in North Dallas.

Old 03-05-2023, 01:16 AM

468 posts, read 475,099 times
Check out the government yard in Brooklyn, or the project yard in Jersey, and the government yard in Trenchtown. And then hit the corner store for Roots, paper, and brew.

Everything's gonna be alright, everything's gonna be alright,
Fugees come to the dance tonight, everything's gonna be alright,
No woman no cry, no woman no cry.

Old 03-05-2023, 09:57 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Judging an area based on co-workers at some white collar office job is going to lead to some faulty conclusions.

In most office settings, it's going to be mostly married people with families. It sounds typical that your co-workers are chain restaurant eating, church attending, suburbanites. Those who don't fit that mold will need to look for other ways to find friends and find romance.

You would need to spend more time with unmarried people in Dallas to get closer to the types that you're looking to meet. Even in Dallas, that would take some effort to find the types you're seeking. You're looking for people who aren't cookie cutter, white collar worker types in a lot of cases.

The DFW suburbs do have a family vibe. It's slowly changing in some of the suburbs. The Shops of Legacy/Legacy West are diversifying Plano away from the family vibe. There are unmarried and unattached people who live in those areas and spend leisure time around Shops at Legacy and Legacy West.

I did go to some of the Meetup website groups a long time ago and I wasn't impressed with most of the people who attended various groups there. I consider Meetup a waste.

It would be better if you found people through means not affiliated with groups off of the Meetup website.

I guess it depends on the city but in Chicago I met some really cool people in an office setting. I worked in the hotel industry pre-COVID and almost all of the workers were 20-30 something and were what I described. I am still in contact with many of them.

The vast majority of the people I have met at work here are what I previously described. Some aren't even from the Dallas and Fort Worth areas, but come from rural places like Weatherford and make the drive to work. Nice people but I have even less in common with them.

I have met quite a few unmarried people around my age in DFW but they still have the cookie cutter mentality. I suppose the lifestyle in DFW brings in these type of people. Maybe Austin would have more what I'm looking for?

I moved to Bishop Arts in the fall and enjoy this area but I find that the vast majority of people who come here for entertainment don't live here and just drive in from the suburbs to hit up the bars.

Old 03-05-2023, 10:26 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
I guess it depends on the city but in Chicago I met some really cool people in an office setting. I worked in the hotel industry pre-COVID and almost all of the workers were 20-30 something and were what I described. I am still in contact with many of them.

The vast majority of the people I have met at work here are what I previously described. Some aren't even from the Dallas and Fort Worth areas, but come from rural places like Weatherford and make the drive to work. Nice people but I have even less in common with them.

I have met quite a few unmarried people around my age in DFW but they still have the cookie cutter mentality. I suppose the lifestyle in DFW brings in these type of people. Maybe Austin would have more what I'm looking for?

I moved to Bishop Arts in the fall and enjoy this area but I find that the vast majority of people who come here for entertainment don't live here and just drive in from the suburbs to hit up the bars.
Maybe you are the one who does not attract the crowd you would like to be part off.

Old 03-05-2023, 10:36 AM

565 posts, read 470,434 times
I have to laugh at the predicament that you have gotten yourself into.

Old 03-05-2023, 06:47 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
I have to laugh at the predicament that you have gotten yourself into.
Kind of predictable though, lol.

Old 03-05-2023, 06:57 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
I moved here from Chicago and up there it was really easy to meet someone with this type of profile: A white man from France who lived in LA for 10yr and is an artist who is married to a black woman from Senegal who is an attorney. They have an adopted kid from Nigeria. Between the two of them they speak 4 languages. Go to a bar and you’d meet someone like this.

But down here most of the people I meet are family types of people who drive a truck and attend a megachurch every Sunday and live in Burleson and eats at Chilis. Most of the popular bar areas in Dallas have mostly 20 somethings from places Plano. I just don’t have anything in common with this type of person.
Maybe you should get to know them and learn something. They sound like nice people to be around. You won't find these clean living people in a bar though. You just told many people why they don't want to live in Chicago where more people get killed on a regular weekend than in some war-torn countries. Adapt or leave would be a good suggestion. Realize you have moved to a better place than Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas