Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 08:20 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times

Advertisements

I moved here from Chicago and up there it was really easy to meet someone with this type of profile: A white man from France who lived in LA for 10yr and is an artist who is married to a black woman from Senegal who is an attorney. They have an adopted kid from Nigeria. Between the two of them they speak 4 languages. Go to a bar and you’d meet someone like this.

But down here most of the people I meet are family types of people who drive a truck and attend a megachurch every Sunday and live in Burleson and eats at Chilis. Most of the popular bar areas in Dallas have mostly 20 somethings from places Plano. I just don’t have anything in common with this type of person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2023, 08:34 PM

252 posts, read 208,356 times
Lmfao, let me grab my popcorn. This will be a good thread.

Old 03-03-2023, 09:50 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,114,865 times
Maybe stop hanging out at the Chili’s in Burleson for starters.

Old 03-03-2023, 11:34 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Or go to megachurches...

You obviously had better chances in Chicago.

Last edited by elnina; 03-10-2023 at 05:03 AM..

Old 03-04-2023, 06:48 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,463,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I moved here from Chicago and up there it was really easy to meet someone with this type of profile: A white man from France who lived in LA for 10yr and is an artist who is married to a black woman from Senegal who is an attorney. They have an adopted kid from Nigeria. Between the two of them they speak 4 languages. Go to a bar and you’d meet someone like this.

But down here most of the people I meet are family types of people who drive a truck and attend a megachurch every Sunday and live in Burleson and eats at Chilis. Most of the popular bar areas in Dallas have mostly 20 somethings from places Plano. I just don’t have anything in common with this type of person.
That's an oddly specific person you describe.

If you spend time with unmarried people in their 20s/30s who live in Dallas instead of Dallas/Fort Worth suburbs, you're more likely to people who don't practice a religion. These people aren't attending megachurches on Sundays.

The family types who drive trucks, attend churches, and eat at Chili's type places tend to live in suburbs. They can be found in Burleson, Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Allen, Keller, etc. I think OP might be spending too much time in Dallas or Fort Worth suburbs.

In Dallas, a lot of the 20s/30s unmarried people who tend to rent apartments and sometimes single family houses are people who didn't grow up in this area.

OP is correct that DFW as a whole tends to be a bit more cookie cutter. Even Dallas itself is somewhat cookie cutter within the White, unmarried younger population. There is a certain cookie cutter type that is attracted to Dallas and this is the type of unmarried person who relocates to Dallas for some corporate job after finishing a degree.

It would be possible to meet the types of people OP describes in a lot of the places in various suburbs in the area.

Old 03-04-2023, 06:51 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Go to Cedar Springs and meet you a nice French Artist who lived in LA for 10 years.

Sounds like you'd make a happy couple.

Old 03-04-2023, 07:06 AM

252 posts, read 208,356 times

Old 03-04-2023, 07:12 AM

899 posts, read 672,681 times
When I lived there (less than a year ago) people said that 90% of the people in Dallas are passing through. They weren't born there and they probably will move on soon.

Old 03-04-2023, 08:17 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,909,474 times
OP has a history of negative experiences in DFW. Maybe relocation to an area which provides more of the desired amenities and cultural diversity is an option.
Going to a 20's bar means you meet the 20's crowd.
We had no such issues in Ft. Worth. Not that any of our circle had stickers with country of origin and resume on the shirts but a rather diverse and a bit unusual crowd drew others to the neighborhood.

Old 03-04-2023, 08:51 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
That's an oddly specific person you describe.

If you spend time with unmarried people in their 20s/30s who live in Dallas instead of Dallas/Fort Worth suburbs, you're more likely to people who don't practice a religion. These people aren't attending megachurches on Sundays.

The family types who drive trucks, attend churches, and eat at Chili's type places tend to live in suburbs. They can be found in Burleson, Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Allen, Keller, etc. I think OP might be spending too much time in Dallas or Fort Worth suburbs.

In Dallas, a lot of the 20s/30s unmarried people who tend to rent apartments and sometimes single family houses are people who didn't grow up in this area.

OP is correct that DFW as a whole tends to be a bit more cookie cutter. Even Dallas itself is somewhat cookie cutter within the White, unmarried younger population. There is a certain cookie cutter type that is attracted to Dallas and this is the type of unmarried person who relocates to Dallas for some corporate job after finishing a degree.

It would be possible to meet the types of people OP describes in a lot of the places in various suburbs in the area.
I was exaggerating a bit but I did meet similar people in Chicago. It’s easy to meet a refugee who snuck across the Ethiopian border to escape Eritrea (true story) or a French guy who works for the French consulate and has lived in places like Central African Republic and is married to a woman from there (one of my friends). I met these people through meetups or at work.

I went to Los Angeles a few months ago and met similar people by just hanging out at some bars in Hollywood.

DFW is a large metro area but it has more of a family vibe so it’s hard to meet an immigrant from Vietnam who is interested in meeting other people. These people tend to stay within their own community or family. I’ve attended a few meetups here for foreign language, photography, biking, and an few other topics and have met some nice people but they are almost always married and have kids and still live the typical suburban lifestyle.

My coworkers are all nice people as well but they are the Chilis mega church Burleson types so I don’t have much in common with them and because they don’t live nearby, it’s hard to interact after work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas