Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 01:08 PM

24 posts, read 33,897 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I grew up in Richardson and currently in Boston w/family of 5 and we're thinking of moving back to Dallas to be closer to family.

We're looking for a neighborhood that has a community feel, kids can run around/ride bikes outside, close to green space and close to or relatively close to the top private schools in Dallas.

We're moderates and would like to stay away from neighborhood of extremes (super conservative/super liberal).

Our budget is up to $7MM but would just as happy finding the right neighborhood and the home being $500k.

Neighborhoods we're considering:

1. Lakewood
2. Disney Streets
3. Hockaday

4. Greenway Parks

5. Bluffview

6. Northern part of Preston Hollow between Royal/Forest & Preston/Hillcrest

7. Canyon Creek
8. Area by Park Hill Jr High

Open to other areas as well but not too far north as I will be officing in Uptown.

Thank you all for your thoughts in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 01:53 PM

35 posts, read 60,122 times
I would focus on the Park Cities in case your kids don’t get into the top privates.

Old 03-28-2023, 02:19 PM

20 posts, read 18,300 times
+1 to the above. Competition for the top privates has become intense with the growth DFW has experienced over the last decade.

For the kids playing outside unsupervised, I’d target Canyon Creek, Prestonwood (what you call Park Hill) and I’d add the neighborhood surrounding St. Rita/Jesuit with an emphasis on getting close to St. Rita. The last one is actually the best for that from my perspective (reminds me of growing up in the late 80s/early 90s), but most of those kids go St. Rita and on to Jesuit/Ursuline so they might be out for you.

But with your budget, I’d go Park Cities and still try to go private. You’ll get a great neighborhood, kids playing outside, great commute, great public school back up and still a good spot to target private schools.

Old 03-28-2023, 04:34 PM

516 posts, read 450,330 times
I agree with the areas mentioned above. I grew up with friends who lived in the Disney Streets neighborhood. It is definitely a neighborhood where you will experience a community feel. I will throw in another recommendation - Sparkman neighborhood. It’s definitely on the $500k end. However, this neighborhood, in my experience, had the most quintessential friendly neighborhood I have experienced. I grew up with friends who lived there as well. Several friends have even moved back to this neighborhood now that they’re married and starting to have kids. There are a lot of kids in the neighborhood. You will see kids running around to each others homes, riding bikes, and playing in the neighborhood park. There is a neighborhood pool and clubhouse which is packed with families from the neighborhood in the summer. There is also an annual July 4th parade where streets will compete against each other for who has the best float. It’s an incredible community. I would totally live there if and when we look to move again. There is a website, google “Sparkman Club neighborhood.”

Sparkman is also in NW Dallas very close to the private schools.

Old 03-28-2023, 07:16 PM

24 posts, read 33,897 times
Thanks for the insights, hadn’t heard of St Rita and Sparkman neighborhoods will put on list to check out. Why not Lakewood area?

Old 03-28-2023, 07:20 PM

35 posts, read 60,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrepreneursf View Post
Thanks for the insights, hadn’t heard of St Rita and Sparkman neighborhoods will put on list to check out. Why not Lakewood area?
So far from the private schools and it’s in DISD. Probably 30 minutes from st marks on a regular day

Old 03-28-2023, 07:28 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,110,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrepreneursf View Post
Lakewood is a great neighborhood (I am biased), but it is a little far from a lot of the private schools.

Still, lots of private school families in the neighborhood attending either the East Dallas privates like St. John’s, St. Thomas, Lakehill, BL as well as the North Dallas private schools.

Old 03-28-2023, 08:17 PM

689 posts, read 638,386 times
Your budget is $7MM but you'd prefer $500K? I understand...but that's quite a range.

Old 03-28-2023, 08:29 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Park Cities is the only option where you have neighborhood schools anywhere near the same caliber as elite privates without having to navigate DISD’s magnet school admissions / lotteries. You can check out Richardson (schools are also excellent) but IMO not worth doubling your commute time to Uptown when you have a HPISD sized budget.

Be aware for private schools, it will be quite difficult to get 3 kids into an elite private in one go unless they magically happen to be spaced apart so that they are all in expansion years (typically PK4, Kinder, 5th & 9th / and 1st for boys applying to St Marks). Aside from that it’s attrition only unless 1) you’re Catholic applying to Catholic schools where my sense is they would be more accommodating or 2) you’re a new very high profile CEO or other public figure.

Old 03-28-2023, 08:30 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,461 times
In your spot, I would target the area between Preston and Hillcrest from Royal to Forest. Honestly, I'd be willing to take the gamble that you get your kids into at least one good Dallas private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas